Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Without Aftercare

Did anyone have the surgery and chose not to do aftercare? The reason why I ask is that I currently do not have insurance but would really like to have the surgery in Mexico. I was wondering if anybody has had the surgery without the need for follow up care with a local doctor?

I only attended 2 follow-up sessions with my doctor. His office is 2 hours one-way from my house (he was the closest doc on my insurance approved list). My 2nd session, he was late and I left after waiting 60 minutes, never went back (this was the 3rd time he had been over an hour late for an appointement). Fortunately I've never had any problems or complications post-op, going on 2 years now.

I went to Mexico, but I chose a surgical team that was readily available for postop communication. I had no complications, but it's been nice to be able to touch base with them when I have questions. At the very least, you really should keep up with regular bloodwork, which any doctor can take care of. My surgeon recommended 3 month, 6 month and annual labs for life (CBC, chem panel, Vitamin, mineral and Iron panels). My PCP simply calls the Rx in to the lab and I go get my blood drawn. My OB/Gyn even volunteered to run it for me.

But you really should check with doctors in your area ahead of time ....you definitely want a backup plan just in case you do have problems.

As far as weight loss, I've lost over 100% of my excess weight with no help from a nutritionist, psychologist, followup doctor visits, etc, My surgeon provided very clear postop instructions and there's more than enough advice to be found on these forums.

Edited by Kindle

@@Proud2BMe I would think as long as you have a primary provider to check your labs ect...along the way you will be ok (assuming you dont have any complications) I only see my surgeon once a month for a few months. My first post-op appt was another leak test, b-12 shot, staple removal, and 3 min talking to. The next on is probably b-12 and weight. Not a whole lot. If the ridiculously expensive visits weren't covered by insurance I'm not sure I would keep going just for a shot and weights but I will be a "good" patient and continue on....

Edited by Elode

Oh I do take the sublingual dots too. It's just something my surgeon does while we are at the check up.

I too have no insurance and had single incision gastric sleeve in Mexico and I've done very well! My sleeve groups, 2 in particular have been my go to for support. Surgery was Aug 6,2013. No follow up with any doctors or nutritionist due to no insurance or money to freely give up. Hope this helps you. Follow the doctors instructions and of course if something does arise see a physician.

Edited by newmeby50

I never had to follow up with my primary physician here in the States after my surgery in Mexico. I too did not have insurance, so I make sure I stayed well connected with this group. It helped to answer many questions.

I also took my Vitmins, and made sure my nutrient intake was high even though I could not hold very much in my tiny tummy. Instead of sweet Popsicles I chose to juice easy to digest green veggies and fruit. It also help me heal faster. Later on when I did get insured, my labs were perfect.

I went to Mexico and had surgery with Dr. Hidalgo, in Puerto Vallarta and his office includes 2 years of followup with the surgery, they only charged me $4500 for the sleeve and they check in with me regularly after the surgery. If i need something checked out which to date I have not, I can order blood work with my family doctor, and they will review the results..

I have no insurance and was sleeved 10/21/14. I have not had any issues and have not seen a Dr since. I take opurity Vitamins and just listen to my stomach, it tells me what to eat, when and how much. I'm down 35Lbs and doing Excellent! Feeling very healthy. No Hair loss, no diarrhea, no pain at all since surgery.

jspitznogle, Glad you've done so well! It probably will be around February for you when the Hair loss will start, it unfortunately affects the majority of Sleevers. It starts about 3-31/2 months after surgery & usually continues for 31/2-4 months later before stopping, then the new growth will start. It will grow back but it takes time! :)

jspitznogle, Glad you've done so well! It probably will be around February for you when the Hair loss will start, it unfortunately affects the majority of Sleevers. It starts about 3-31/2 months after surgery & usually continues for 31/2-4 months later before stopping, then the new growth will start. It will grow back but it takes time! :)

Hey NEWMEBY50 thanks for the info about hair loss. i did loose a significant amount of hair. LIKE WOW it was a LOT. i didn't go bald but i can see my scalp through my hair in the front by where my bangs are. i just cut it short and said the hell with it. but i'm really hoping it grows back LOL. even knowing how thin my hair got I would still do the surgery again. feeling amazing.

As far as dr care i got my primary care dr on board before i left for mx. Hes totally cool and checking my bloodwork. he has 3 patients that have done the surgery i MX. but i have had no problems of any kind.

Did anyone have the surgery and chose not to do aftercare? The reason why I ask is that I currently do not have insurance but would really like to have the surgery in Mexico. I was wondering if anybody has had the surgery without the need for follow up care with a local doctor?

Are you in the US? You don't have any insurance or you have insurance that doesn't cover WLS?

If you don't have any insurance I would recommend spending the money you would have in Mexico on insurance and save up for the surgery. Depending on your state you might be able to find a policy that would cover the surgery. If you don't have insurance and have any complications (that would have been covered by your insurance or not) you will be in a world of hurt.

Just my opinion. I am pretty risk averse and know that without any insurance most people are one illness away from financial disaster.

Are you in the US? You don't have any insurance or you have insurance that doesn't cover WLS?

If you don't have any insurance I would recommend spending the money you would have in Mexico on insurance and save up for the surgery. Depending on your state you might be able to find a policy that would cover the surgery. If you don't have insurance and have any complications (that would have been covered by your insurance or not) you will be in a world of hurt.

Just my opinion. I am pretty risk averse and know that without any insurance most people are one illness away from financial disaster.

Surfer Girl, I know you have good intentions but I for one have checked insurance prices. for me it is $628 per month with a 12600 deductible. Where in the world would I get an extra $20,000 a year? It may not be much to some people but that is almost half my yearly pay? so just saying for some people insurance isn't an option. I chose to save $5000 and just get it done and over.

Surfer Girl, I know you have good intentions but I for one have checked insurance prices. for me it is $628 per month with a 12600 deductible. Where in the world would I get an extra $20,000 a year? It may not be much to some people but that is almost half my yearly pay? so just saying for some people insurance isn't an option. I chose to save $5000 and just get it done and over.

Are you eligible for Medicare in your state? A subsidy?

I understand the budget issue but hope you explore all your options.

Also, see if the surgeon you choose has insurance for complications (like Blis).

I truly hope everything goes well for you. I wish you all the best.