Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

having hard time eating/ 5 weeks post op

I had gastric sleeve on October 8 and in my last week of puree food. The first couple of weeks after surgery I was having a lot of cravings for food that I never used to eat on a regular basis, like hamburgers, KFC, Tacos and fast food in general. Lucky this has subsided considerably and now I do not think about it.

I cook most of my food and I rarely eat meat. I try to make my food fresh and nutritious. Lately it's been quite difficult for me to eat more than a couple of bites. I get full very fast and I threw up few times just after several bites. I make sure to eat slow and I am really unable to overeat but it's been happening more often. Monday I see the doctor for my second appointment.

I have also had a very hard time drinking Water, the taste make me nauseous and want to vomit. I tried adding flavors but it got worse. Taking Vitamin has been quite challenging as well, I am having hard time with that. I tried several brands, liquid, Gummy bears etc etc and I do not know what to do.

Any suggestions and advise out there? I trust that things will get better. I should be on a normal diet next week and really worried about that.

just a thought maybe you are having trouble taste wise with the Water, have you tried distilled Water? you can get it at drug stores etc.its nothing but hydrogen and oxygen, no minerals no nothin. and it is completely tasteless. dunno if it will help.

It takes awhile to adjust--- my eyes are still bigger than my stomach. I always think I can eat more than I actually can. Part of my problem is, even though there's only a little bit more on the plate, I have this urge to "finish my plate." Old habits die hard! I suggest weighing one ounce out for the Protein and only eating that. Also, don't lay down until it has a chance to digest.

I have the same reaction to Water. You don't need to drink it plain. There are lots of other drinks: Decaf coffee, Crystal Lite, Bao5 (available at COSTCO), Ocean Spray Diet drinks... anything 5 calories or less per cup.

Edited by BeagleLover

I'm 3 weeks out and with Kaiser you don't have the purée stage.

So I've started with thin sliced deli meat. dinner was 4 shrimp and 4 broussel sprouts.

Then I get the full feeling. I drink about 45-60 ounces a day .

I drink koolaid with Splenda .

They prescribed protonix/pantoprazole for any acid reflux and then Zofram for nausea but haven't had any. Maybe those meds might help you.

My doctor prescribes Protonix for all his patients. Reducing the stomach acid allows the sleeve to heal quicker.

Your minimum liquids sound a bit low-- should be at least 64oz/day.

Thanks for all the suggestions!!! Seeing both my bariatric surgeon and regular doctor tomorrow. I will suggest those meds. My doctor gave me Ondansetron for nausea but I do not think it is helping much.

Water still an issue, but I keep trying.

I had the same issues with food and Water. Water nausea is common. I would just put enough water to coat my mouth so that it would dribble down my throat. It wasn't much but it was something. My dr put me back on full liquid diet for a week to give my stomach a break. That really helped then I skipped the puréed stage and went to soft foods. Go slow it does get better. If you can only tolerate a bite then only have one bite. I had the same issue with Vitamins. I take these chewables and have no issues http://bariatricfusion.com. Hope it helps!!