Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery cancelled: Devestated.

I had my final visit with my surgeon today and was scheduled for rny on Monday at 5am. Went in expecting to just confirm details because I had just met with the MD on Monday of this week and everything was a go. The surgeon started reviewing my test results with me from some tests I had done on my esophagus and a 24 hr study on ph levels in my stomach. He said that the results were inconsistent from previous findings and he can not operate with out further testing. He also said that I may not qualify now bc of my weight loss since my first visit (I've been on a 1000 calorie/day diet for 2 months and doing only Protein Shakes for last 12 days.). I understand that they want to cautious but I am devastated. I have done so much emotional and physical work to get to this spot and I feel like it was all for nothing. I am feeling like a bride left at the alter. From my first visit in July it was a done deal that rny was the best choice for me do to severe gerd as well as bmi of 41. Any help anyone can offer to help me get through this and put this all in prospective would be appreciated.

I truly feel for you. My surgery was supposed to be today, but Monday the surgeons office called to postpone my surgery until I can get my Iron levels up. They had the results for two weeks and didn't let me know or look at them for that matter.

I talked to the nurse and asked her to check the levels drawn before my EGD which was done back in July and she said my levels were worse then. So again, I'm even more frustrated because they should have checked them then and I could have been taking Iron supplements.

I also tested positive for H Pylori which causes changes to the stomach lining which if left untreated could lead to cancer. So now Im on increased iron, two antibiotics, and prevacid. When I had the EGD, he said I had changes to my stomach lining, so why didn't he check me for H Pylori back then? He was so concerned that he did a biopsy but he didnt rule out that bacterial infection.

Like you, I am emotionally invested and I'm so upset. My husband and I did most of the work getting it approved. I have gone through lots of tests. And we have been given several different dates and excuses. I can't give up now when I'm so close. My husband wanted to look for another surgeon, but I don't want to start over. My new date is November 5th. I pray it works out this time.

I will keep you in my prayers.

Jeeeeeeez, sorry you guys! I'm scheduled for 10/31 and I'm just hoping it stays on course! Hope all goes well, you two! Hang in there!

I am so sorry for both of you, hopefully things and be straightened out and you can get back on the surgery schedule.

Cpower100, how much weight have you lost, what is your current BMI and do you have comorbities? I am not aware of the tests you referred to, I did not have them done.

I worry about my bmi getting to low myself, but was told that once the insurance gave an approval number, I did not have to worry about going below the bmi of 35 and I hope that is true because the liquid diet is gonna put me under.

Eta, sorry thought it was Daronb, got confused, Cpower100

Edited by smiley922

I am sorry girls but I don't see due diligence from either of your doctors and staff.

cpower : It is my understanding, insurance will only cover weight loss surgery if your BMI is above 40 or 35 with comorbitities. Such as high blood pressure, obstuctive sleep apnea, diabetes or pre-diatetes, etc. I cannot believe you were not informed. Why were you on a 1,000 calorie diet for 2 months if your BMI was just above 40?

Stephanie: The low Iron level in July with nothing done about it is just a BIG screw up. This is why I always call my doctor's office and talk to the doctor's nurse and ask for the actual levels in the blood tests. I don't accept the phone call with "all is normal" at all. I also always ask my blood pressure numbers when it is measured. The good news is both low Iron and the H Pylori should be easy to fix. Just a little delay, no big deal. I would also look into why you have low iron. Heavy periods or some other condition is causing this, right? Or is it just your diet is very poor in iron? Time for supplements. My kitchen counter looks like a pharmacy with all the pills and supplements I take.

The good news is, aren't you glad your doctors caught this in time to make sure it was safe to do surgery. Those are some real concerns who needed addressing. It wasn't safe to go ahead with surgery.

Good Luck, life is not easy!

Stephanie- I just bought feosol preop and used that and for once in my life me Iron was normal!

You don't have to start over if you look for another surgeon. You can verify this with your insurance company, but you do not have to have a whole set of tests to start with a new surgeon. The new surgeon might have the same opinion, but it might be worth a try. It would be a shame to have come this far and then be turned back. Good luck to you.

My problem is, I am getting a revision from Lap band to RNY. My band needs to be removed to fix the hernia under it and the Surgeon suggested RNY because of my GERD. I live in Central Texas and I coulnt find anyone to take me. The surgeons where I work didn't want to mess with a past surgery not done by them, nor did any of the others in my general area.

I didn't go back to my original surgeon because he kept giving me the run around and I think my insurance didnt cover him. They are strict about using surgeons with the Bariatric center of Excellence certification.

Thanks DaronB.

Im am going to the clinic tomorrow to pick up the Iron supplements they want me on. I have to take them 3 times daily. I asked about my labs done at the hospital, but no one told me. After my procedure, I was kind of out of it, so I forgot about it. I have had low Iron since I was a teenager. I have taken different supplements but nothing makes then NORMAL. I agree that there was a big screw up all the way around. Even the nurse thought so too and apologized several times.

Im thankful they discovered all this before doing surgery, its just upsetting to have waited this long just to be told No. Im hopeful things will work out next time.

Stephanie I have had Gerd and knew there was a risk of it being worse with the sleeve, BUT after my hiatal hernia was fixed, I am having no issues with heartburn or reflux. Honestly, it feels so calm in my throat now lol. I normally would need antacids everyday and didn't start a PPI until a few days after surgery, which would have been awful had the hernia not been repaired.

I have been on several PPI's and I still have the reflux and burning in my throat. My voice is always hoarse too. I am glad your sleeve is working well for you. I wanted that too initially, but the surgeon said, he didn't believe it would be good for me with all the changes to my esophagus and stomach.

I can't wait to get this done. Counting down the days.

I'm hoping you wake up with relief! It really is a strange sensation not having the acid feeling. I have pics of the hernia...pretty big hole, glad it's sewn back up

Hi. I posted topic on Wednesday and I have been so sad/upset about this turn of events that I have not even been able to come back and look at replies. At my initial appointment my bmi was 40.4 and I qualified for surgery based on my weight not my issues with GERD although I had been referred for surgery from my GI dr based on my issues with gerd. Everything was a go and all of my visits with MD, nut, psych, and initial visit with surgeon were all very positive. Surgeon ordered extra testing to clarify gerd issue so he knew what to anticipate in terms of creating openings etc.. Test results came back showing conflicting results from all previous testing I have had done. New set of tests indicated I did not have gerd. When I met with surgeon for final consult (5 days before scheduled surgery) he said he had to cancel bc he needed more testing. He also said that in the absence of gerd I would not qualify. I had completed the pre-op diet and had put myself on a modified pre-op diet following my initial consult with MD so I had lost a total of 24 lbs which brought my bmi down to 36. Surgeon said that he was unsure that wls was necessary due to my success losing during time since first meeting. I was so upset leaving the office that I was unable to even ask the questions that I needed answers for. I have another apt scheduled with him this week and I am terrified that he is going to reject me for surgery even though I qualified based on my starting weight.

@@cpower100 I hope your follow-up appointment gave you renewed hope and answers to your questions.

I am scheduled for November 6th. Still a little nervous about the surgery but praying surgery goes as planned and all goes well.

It is very hard to understand how things like this happen, but they do happen. There is no substitute for advocating for yourself or finding someone (preferably an RN or physician) who can be your advocate. Even good programs get busy and things get lost in the shuffle until there is an appointment that focuses attention.

It's okay to be devastated by a delay or cancellation and walk away not hearing or remembering to ask anything else. That's a natural response. Make another appointment. Go back. Have your questions written down and share a copy with each person who enters to interact with you. Don't leave until they are all answered.

If your insurance gives you trouble, there is an appeals process.

Don't be afraid to take some quiet time to reflect on whether or not this is meant to be. It doesn't mean the answer will be that it's not meant to be. Just be thoughtful and very, very sure.

Please respond on here as things move forward so that we know how it has gone.