Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Carbonation? What's the deal? I keep hearing a bunch of different reasons why we can't have it...I took a sip or two and I didn't have any adverse effects.. Anyone? Help?? I just want seltzer water...

I heard that it expands your stomach but I don't know if that is true or if that is a temporary expansion or more permanent. I'd like to know the answer as well! I miss sparkling water!

I do know it is a problem in the early days of post surgery. My sister (who also had the surgery) had eaten something too big and fast and it got stuck. Having a swig of a carbonated beverage brought it right back up! lol. She was told about that from someone and luckily remembered it. But after a certain point, would be good to know if that is still true that we can't have carbonation or if it really is just for the early days. I only JUST found out this past weekend that I don't need to cut or crush my pills anymore or even have to have chewables or liquid vitamins or meds! Nobody told me that was temporary! I had surgery in January and have still been cutting and crushing everything that wasn't chewable or liquid. Same thing with straws!!! I thought that was a forever thing and it was just for after surgery for a bit!! What else?? lol

My paperwork says no carbonation for 4-6 weeks post op. Doesn't give a reason why to avoid though

My NUT and surgeon says that those with the best long term results are those who don't drink anything carbinated because of pouch expansion. So, they jump up and down and tell us to plan on never having it again! I will say this, my sister had gastric bypass in 2005 (same team) and after about 3 years, she started drinking diet sodas in moderation again, and has continued to maintained her 100 pound weight loss.

Carol

I am currently 4 months post op and have been drinking no sugar energy drinks daily. They are carbonated have only 10 calories and give me the jump I Need to get started working out. Some have found it difficult to drink anything carbonated but I sip it slowly burp lots and have no issues with them.

I am currently 4 months post op and have been drinking no sugar energy drinks daily. They are carbonated have only 10 calories and give me the jump I Need to get started working out. Some have found it difficult to drink anything carbonated but I sip it slowly burp lots and have no issues with them.

What is the drink called?

Like Carolk36 said, my doctor told me that I would have to worry about pouch expansion. Before surgery I was addicted to Coke Zero, its all I drank. I stopped drinking it before surgery and haven't missed it since. I did have a small one not long ago, and all I did was burp. My nutritionist said that I could have some every so often, but I don't because Im afraid of becoming addicted again. However, I wouldn't think seltzer Water would be that big a deal every once in awhile. Give it a try.

In my pre-surgery program we are given a list of forever no's...carbonation is one of them. I had surgery at one of the top research hospitals in the U.S. Which in itself doesn't ensure success but there program is extremely strict. The doctors in the bariatric program have noticed a "gateway drug" to gaining back weight. Those were their words not mine. They said those RNY patients go back to drinking carbonated beverages. Obviously from some of the prior posts some people have gone back to drinking those things and have been fine. For myself,however, I plan to stay away.