Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not getting enough protein, calories, or liquid

I'm 1 week post op and really struggling to hit the mark on Protein (60g), calories (800-1200), or liquids (48oz). I'm really hoping that it gets easier when I start full liquids tomorrow. Any advice?

Forget about calories. Just drink from the time you wake up until the time you go to bed. Have something at hand at all times. Try to make sure everything you drink has protein.....sip on Protein Drinks and add unflavored Protein Powder to broths, bisque and dilute, strained cream Soups.< /p>

Just make sure to get your Water in. The rest will come in time.

Yes, I agree with the others! You have a lot of swelling in your tummy and you have a lot of healing to do. For now, just sip, sip, sip all day. Frozen sugar free Popsicles were my life line at your stage! As your tummy heals and you get further along, it will get better and you will be able to hit your goals! Just give it time and have patience.

I agree!

I'm 5 week post op and still have a hard time getting all the Protein in! Just remember to drink!

You don't want to dehydrate! It takes time to heel! And in time it will get better, so I'm told :/

I am 4 weeks post op and have the same problem. My nutritionist said it's normal and can take time. It's especially hard because I can't drink the Protein Shakes. Luckily I bought unflavored soy Protein powder before surgery and I add that to a lot of things. It can make Soups a little funny textured. However I think that the best thing is to add 2 tablespoons of it (27g of protein) to the sugar free pudding mix when you prepare it. I make use the protein, the pudding mix and 1%, milk, it comes out creamy and yummy, my husband even loves it. I also top it with a smidge of light redi whip to make it special. I also make sugar free cocoa or mochas every day. It's 8oz milk, 1Tbsp cocoa, and 2 splenda. Sometimes I add cinnamon. In the mocha I add instant Decaf coffee crystals tand extracts if I want something like a peppermint mocha.

How bad is the unflavored Protein powder?

It doesn't taste like anything. It will make things thicker though. So for example, if you add it to a glass of milk or a bowl of chicken broth, its going to be thicker once you stir it in. But taste wise, they aren't bad because they literally taste like nothing.

Since you are early post surgery and still on liquids you might try something that worked well for me. My NUT suggested that I drink 4 ounces of Protein Shake on the even hours and 4 ounces of Water or liquid on the odd hours, all day long (8am-10pm). This was a big help getting in fluids and Protein. My program also let me count Protein Shakes as fluids.

Forget about calories. Just drink from the time you wake up until the time you go to bed. Have something at hand at all times. Try to make sure everything you drink has protein.....sip on Protein drinks and add unflavored protein powder to broths, bisque and dilute, strained cream Soups.< /p>

Hi Kindle, I have a question. Surgery's in two days. I bought broths and cream soups for my next two weeks but the only thing that was low fat was the broth. The other soups range from 2-5 grams of fat per half cup. Should I get all low fat or nonfat versions instead or does it matter the first two weeks. You seem pretty knowledgeable about all this stuff.

I didn't worry about fat content at all, especially that early. In fact, I still don't look at the fat content of most things I eat. On my surgery day my doctor's dietician actually laughed when I expressed concern about the drinkable yogurts she recommended not being non-fat. She assured me that there's no way I could consume enough calories at that point for fat content to even be an issue. So I ate regular (4% fat) cottage cheese, all the cream Soups I wanted, and regular cheese and Greek Yogurt. Avocados were a favorite in puréed stage and I eat mixed nuts everyday...all of which are fairly high in fat. I did go with skim milk for awhile, but switched to 1% once I hit goal. Besides, we need fat in our diets for a number of different body functions including our ability to absorb fat-soluble Vitamins like A, D, E, and K.

This has worked for me, and everyone is different, but I wouldn't worry about fat for the first few weeks.

And good luck with your surgery!

I didn't worry about fat content at all, especially that early. In fact, I still don't look at the fat content of most things I eat. On my surgery day my doctor's dietician actually laughed when I expressed concern about the drinkable yogurts she recommended not being non-fat. She assured me that there's no way I could consume enough calories at that point for fat content to even be an issue. So I ate regular (4% fat) cottage cheese, all the cream Soups I wanted, and regular cheese and Greek Yogurt. Avocados were a favorite in puréed stage and I eat mixed nuts everyday...all of which are fairly high in fat. I did go with skim milk for awhile, but switched to 1% once I hit goal. Besides, we need fat in our diets for a number of different body functions including our ability to absorb fat-soluble Vitamins like A, D, E, and K.<br><br> This has worked for me, and everyone is different, but I wouldn't worry about fat for the first few weeks.

Thank you! Such helpful info! I appreciate it.

I didn't worry about fat content at all, especially that early. In fact, I still don't look at the fat content of most things I eat. On my surgery day my doctor's dietician actually laughed when I expressed concern about the drinkable yogurts she recommended not being non-fat. She assured me that there's no way I could consume enough calories at that point for fat content to even be an issue. So I ate regular (4% fat) cottage cheese, all the cream Soups I wanted, and regular cheese and Greek Yogurt. Avocados were a favorite in puréed stage and I eat mixed nuts everyday...all of which are fairly high in fat. I did go with skim milk for awhile, but switched to 1% once I hit goal. Besides, we need fat in our diets for a number of different body functions including our ability to absorb fat-soluble Vitamins like A, D, E, and K.

This has worked for me, and everyone is different, but I wouldn't worry about fat for the first few weeks.

To add on to this, as a collective nation, we have been "Low Fat-ed" death. Over two decades of people pushing low fat diets. Low fat foods which were stuffed with sugar and carbs to compensate for the loss of flavor. I also do not bother counting fat content at all. I eat a high Protein diet, and try to keep the carbs down. Fat falls somewhere in the middle and you'll find will moderate itself if you are keeping high protein/low carb.

I'm not saying it's cool to eat a bucket of lard, but the way our brains have been conditioned to see fat in foods as bad is mind boggling to me. Fat in food does not equate to weight gain.