Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help with the full liquid diet

I am 5 days post op from the bypass, and i still have horrible shoulder blade pain. They said its from gas but i have been walking and passing gas and it is still there. Incision pain is brutal but nothing compared to the gas and air trapped inside me. I need help drinking more i make 32oz daily but barely. This is very stressful i find myself crying from the pain and wishing I never did this, is this regret common? Also I start the full liquid diet on monday and I cant imagine trying to drink Protein Shakes when Jello makes me want to puke and only 2oz of it is the most I can tolerate. Suggestions are greatly welcomed!

Bugsandpie can you take gasx strips or gasx chewables this help me , try a heating pad also on your pain area and continue to walk , walking helps get the gas out if it's still to painful contact your emergency doctor number for assitance Protein Shakes helps you heal and font forget about the sugarfree popsickles try send drink as much Water and Protein shakes . I know after my surgury I never wanted to see sugarfree pudding , Soup, Jello and broth again. Trust me your having buyers remorse but the surgury is so well worth it you will be feeling better each day trust me each day gets better. And before you know it you will be feeling like a million bucks my friend .

Hi bugsandpie! Wow, can I truly relate to your statements! From what I experienced and have read, your comments are completely normal for 5 days post op - everything hurts! The overall pain keeps you from wanting to do much of anything but it will help the gas pain if you can walk every 2 hours. You don't have to go far but you do have to keep moving and gently swing your arms.

I am now 4 weeks and 2 days post op and it makes ALL the difference in the world. When I was 2 days post op, I told my sister that I had made a "major mistake" and wanted to talk to the doctor about reversal. Fortunately, I didn't and can now say I'm glad I made the decision to have the surgery. By Day 5, I could no longer drink the Protein shakes without throwing them up so I got creative and made me some Protein Soup, pudding and yogurt! Campbell's condensed cream of chicken soup with Water and an powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury protein package became MY source of protein as I ate it 5 times a day! And my Water had to be chilled but not ice cold or room temperature.

Most of all, you must remember to take it slow as this was a major operation that you had. Give yourself some time to get adjusted and then try some new things. And don't forget that you have a whole community of friends here at the Bariatric Pal site who will help you. Best wishes . . . and prayers! ~Vicki

Thank you so much, i have the heating pad, calling my MD in the morning for my follow up appointment (so i will ask about the pain in my shoulder blade) also il try the strips. I have the Unjury shakes, i tried an adkins one first and that did not sit well.

Having shoulder pain is quite common after laparoscopic surgery. When the doctor first starts the surgery he/she inserts significant amount of carbon dioxide into your abdominal cavity. This expands abdominal space so that the doctor can see what he's doing. The gas is not expelled per your rectum but rather diffuses slowly out of the abdominal cavity. It is not uncommon to have the shoulder blade pain until 6 to 7 days after

I so understand….walk, walk, walk, GasX, GasX, GasX…..

Heating pad helps!

So very sorry to hear this is happening, but the more I walked the more the gas pain decreased.

Praying for some relief for yoU!