Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Intetesting observation

My highest weight was 328, and my surgery date was May 14, 2014. I've lost a total of 62 pounds. But what's funny is that my co-workers have finally just started noticing this past week that I have lost weight! While I am thrilled to be down 62 pounds, it's shocking to think that I was so big that it would take me losing 62 pounds for people to notice.

Yikes!!!

I should also say that my husband and close friends and family noticed a long time ago. :)

Maybe they did not want to mention it just in case you could not keep the losing up. It happens you know. Maybe it is that they were rooting for you and did not want to say something that would bring you down.

Or they could be so dam self absorbed that they can't see past their own noses at work! :blink:

I had the same experience and I think all of the above is true. I also noticed when I was wearing my oversized close for comfort it was more difficult to tell, but we had our company picnic yesterday and I wore new clothes and everybody noticed. I couldn't be happier with the results thus far.

I also lost about 60-70 pounds before anyone commented on it! Sometimes people wait to say anything to be completely sure that you're actually losing weight so that they don't accidentally offend you. Congrats on doing so well! :)

When you're seeing someone everyday it can be harder to notice the slow changes. Congrats on your success!

It was at least 50 pounds before people really started asking me. I don't know...

When you're seeing someone everyday it can be harder to notice the slow changes. Congrats on your success!

I TOTALLY agree, my co worker weighed 364 and I could not tell she had lost ANY weight till she lost 60 pounds, It was harder for me to notice because I did see her everyday..do not be discouraged keep it up and good luck on your health and weight!

Sometimes people just don't want to tell you. They notice it, but just don't say it. My closest friends and family tell me all the time, but others don't. Men have no problem saying they notice, but women have a tougher time saying it to you. Maybe it hurts them to say something? I keep on pushing and get sexier and bosser just to make it even harder :P

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! Glad to know I'm not the only person this has happened to! :)

I have lost 92lbs and no one except family has said anything!! Many people have noticed my hair change .. I went from long blonde to short red with bangs .. So they always mention that instead.

Saying something at work may be tricky. My employer has very strict rules, mentioning someone's appearance could be considered harassment. One co-worker told me I was looking good when I went back to work & I said he just made my day. then we laughed that if HR overheard us we could both get fired.

took about the same amount lost for folks at work to start commenting to me as well. I think it is a combination of 1. not wanting to offend, 2. just not paying attention in day-to-day activities (I get tunnel vision when I am busy and I will look up and go, "wow, that person is smaller!") 3. Thinking about making a comment but getting distracted and forgetting...until you see the person the next time...etc.

It was also more apparent when I started wearing clothes that actually fit-losing weight puts a strain on the pocketbook as far as clothes go I tell ya! Congrats on your loss and just remember to not turn down the compliments. It is hard at times to take compliments but it is recognition for your hard work :)

Edited by Dragonsmate