Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Support Needed & Searching for NC Sleevers

I'm in the beginning stages of my surgery process. I came in with high hopes, I was hoping I would be able to have surgery within 3 or 4 months. Unfortunately I was informed BCBS NC requires me to complete 6 month supervised diet, I won't be able to have my surgery until December :(. Honestly I am depressed and very disappointed. I've been dealing with my weight issue since Preschool.

I've been on numerous diets, i've gained all the weight back then some. After attending my bariatric surgical practice educational seminar I was extremely excited and ready. So now I'm trying to pick myself up and look at the brighter side of all of this but it's hard.

Is there anyone experiencing same thing or have any advice? Are you beginning sleeve process?

Edited by Danalodon0825

I went through something very similar. In fact with insurance company mess-ups and doctor mix-ups (my PCP, not my surgeon), I ended up waiting a year between my first surgical consult and my surgery! At times I thought about just giving up on the insurance process and paying out of pocket for a sleeve in Mexico. But I was persistent, kept going, and eventually got my surgery! In a way I am glad I ended up having to wait. I spent a lot of time educating myself about what was to come and gradually adopting the behaviors I would need after surgery in order to succeed (exercise, tracking food intake on myfitnesspal, using a food scale, stuff like that). When my surgery day came I was completely ready and my surgeon told me he knew I would do really well. So yes it is frustrating, but use this time to the best of your advantage. It will pass before you know it!

I'm in the same boat as u, I have Medicare .

I went to the first seminar got my hopes up, saw the surgeon there also he was very informative. But didn't talk about any waiting period.

I had the surgery consult and that is when I found out I too have todo 6 month supervised weight loss. I even told him I was so excited to get this rolling and surgery over with. The 6 months ugh, it's so depressing. Then I found this site and see many others have same wait and I felt better about it. Now I'm down to 4 months and counting.

I get on this site and read so many different post it's a great support site.

Well calm down, I first thought all's I had to do was go in and have the surgery. I started in Febuary, my surgery is July9th and they told me that was fast tracked... They will have you see a shrink, a dietician, your doctor (then again to have a full physical a week before surgery), their weight Guidance Councilor, their doctor. I bitched and moaned and bitched and moaned but now it's near and I'm coming up with reasons how to put off the pre-op diet till the last minute.... I should have started last week if I wanted to have an early recovery, shooting myself in the foot.... With a fat bullet... It was easier to quit drinking, and quit smoking, now I'll see what I'm really made of.... So take that 6 months and work the program, don't let your weight rule your mind.....

I experienced the same thing as you. I went to a seminar at the Dr.'s office and was so excited to get the process rolling. I contacted my insurance company (also BCBS) and then found out about the 6th month supervised diet. I was SO frustrated! I have also been dieting pretty much my entire life with the same results...lose, gain back, lose, gain back, etc. I could've just given up, but I decided to just suck-it up and follow the plan. I met with the Nutritionist, went to all of the required appointments during the 6 months. Once I had met all of the requirements, the Dr.'s office submitted it to insurance and I was approved in a week! Everything came fast and furious at that point. That happened about 3 weeks ago and I'll be having surgery 2 weeks from today!

Hang in there and use these 6 months to truly prepare yourself for the surgery and life afterwards. I spent a lot of time looking into the surgery, pre/post op stuff, and most importantly talking with pre and post op people. That has been the most beneficial thing for me. I was so upset 6 months ago to have to wait, but looking back, it has been a blessing. You can make it these 6 months!!! Good luck!

Thanks so much for the words of encouragement. I'm totally committed to the process, I'm learning more everyday. Congratulations to you and I wish you much success.

I also had some set backs, I went to my first seminar In January. I was so excited.

Feb 4th I had my EKG, ultrasound, and chest xray.

Feb 6th my husband had a heart attack.

He had an emergency cardiac cath done same day.

Then the worst news...he had to have a triple bypass Feb 14th.

He is 37.

As my heart shattered for him, it was also shattering for myself. I knew I had to take my FMLA at work to take care of him.

I still attended my meeting but struggled with if I would have enough time to take for myself. I worried that I would hVe to wait a whole nother YEAR to do this.

I swore 2014 was MY year. To focus on myself. And that came to an almost deadly halt. It was the hardest thing I've been through to date. I feel god only gives us what we can handle....but it was hard.

Long story short- I kept going with everything and my paper work was submitted to insurance last Friday. Aetna requires 3 months of nut visits.

I saved half of my FMLA for myself, and my husband is on his road to recovery with a new outlook on life and I'm right behind him with my surgery hopefully falling this August. It's a long process, BUT IT WILL BE WORTH IT!! I'm 33. I have struggled my whole life with weight.

Never in my life would I have thought is be where I'm at right now. But just keep ON KEEPING ON!!! You will be there before u know it. Use this time to get ur head together, write in a journal. That's what I've been doing. That way this time next year u will look back and think... WOW! Look how far I've come!! Take care and good luck!!

I know u will do great!!!

I am starting the process as well (first appointment today with psych & appointments scheduled soon with nut, immersion day & a second psych appointment) My insurance requires 6 months of counseling through a program they conduct (phone call once a month) so I am looking at a January/February surgery date.

I know it's tough waiting but I am using this time to get as healthy as I can be for surgery. I will need to lose 5-10% of my weight by surgery so I am going to work on that as well as tracking, eating slower, getting in all my Protein...6 months will go by so fast!! Hang in there!!

Anthem Blue Cross in Ca, was amazing. I was afraid of supervised weight loss and diet plans eating up the time I had available as I'm a teacher and wanted to do it over summer break. But I had my consult in April, and was fully approved by May having had my psych, and dietician visits, as well as no supervised weight loss required. Surgery was June 16th and 8 days out, today I walked 2 quick miles. I did go in with a comorbidity, severe obstructive sleep apnea, and a BMI of 50, at 25 years old.

My weight was 3 months from the day I decided to have surgery to my surgery date.

I kind of wish I had a little more time, but the waiting was unbearable at times.

Here's what I suggest for while you're waiting for and working towards your surgery - put this time to good use...

* Practice mindful eating techniques (eat at the table in a calm environment - no TV, radio, phone, computer, etc)

* Start experimenting with shakes - try different textures, temps, flavors (don't over purchase if you find one you like, your tastes may change after you have surgery)

* Practice chewing your food 20-25 times per bite and slowing down - take 45 seconds to a 1 minute between bites (you'll be surprised how quickly you feel full)

* Start walking and getting yourself in better shape - you'll recover faster and you'll feel better

* Start eating w/ appetizer spoons and forks - this will help slow you down and get yourself used to smaller bites

* Research, research & research - I wish I had found out more about food addiction and reasons why I ate the way I did. I wasn't prepared for the psychological part of this process - I wish I had been better prepared.

Hang in there. Your surgery date will be here before you know it! Good luck!

I'm so excited!!! After attending my appointment this morning I was informed that I only have to complete my endoscopy and psychological appointments. Once those are completed I will meet with my surgeon and get scheduled for surgery!

I'm very happy and eager to get appointments out of the way.

Heads up to BCBS NC policy holders. Insurance company and Biatric Association will meet to discuss changes for 6 month supervised diet requirement. There is a great possibility that as of July 1, 2014 BCBS NC will no longer require policy holders to complete 6 month supervised diet. The argument is that the supervised diet has no added benefits to individuals and the 6 months prolongs on-going medical issues associated with obesity.

There is suppose to be more information on this matter on BCBS website.