Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all! I was just banded yesterday and I am in so much pain! The gas pain in my left shoulder and all across my abdomen are really worse than I imagined they would be. The hospital sent me home with children's paracetamol :(

Really excited about the band but having a hard time staying focused and positive with all the pain with every movement. Fingers crossed it will go soon. I haven't had much appetite, though, is it normal at this stage?

Thanks everyone x

I am home from the hospital today banded along with my hubby. They gave us ahead of time Tylenol with Codeine. I have taken one full dose of it so far today. I hurt but I am not miserable. I have been trying to walk around to keep things ok.

For me, I would call the Dr.'s office if it becomes too much pain. We don't all tolerate pain the same. Some need more and some less. My hubby didn't take any meds so far.

I have not ate anything but sipping Water, I don't feel like clear juice or anything yet. Maybe tomorrow. Hubby was into the popsicles.

Take good care of yourself.

I had a lot of pain, too. I was released the same day. Had surgery around 1 pm and went home at 5 pm. Wish I had stayed overnight so I could get good pain medication. The place where the port is was the worst... and still is. I have to wear an abdominal brace every day or it hurts and it feels like it is tearing. My surgery was last February 17th. All should be healed by now. Very frustrating.

I get my second fill on Monday.

Karen

Richmond, VA

Walking helps.

Heating pad on your shoulder help to relieve gas pains I'm told.

Someone said that karate chops to your shoulders helps too?

Sorry, I had very little pain post op so I'm just mimicking what others have said.

I believe in pain pills. if the one you are on isn't helping ask your doctor for something stronger. a lot of ppl on here like liquid ibuprophen. now here are the things I tell everyone.

1. take pain medication

2.use heat to the left shoulder. ice packs to the incisions

3. move around, at least a walk around your house.

4. fart and be proud

5. rest in a nice comfortable recliner. watch old movies,

6. eat sf popsicles, drink a lot of stock or broth. if you don't like the canned stuff make your own. throw in chicken any kind of vegetables and strain the hard stuff out and save that stuff for when you are moving onto mushies. freeze it for now. blend later for a creamy Soup. also hot tea with some honey.

7. your intestines were put to sleep when you were so while they are waking up they start to produce gas, use beano or gasx strips for that kind of gas pain.

8. again, rest but every hour or few walk around. I wish you lots of luck and quick healing.

I had a lot of pain, too. I was released the same day. Had surgery around 1 pm and went home at 5 pm. Wish I had stayed overnight so I could get good pain medication. The place where the port is was the worst... and still is. I have to wear an abdominal brace every day or it hurts and it feels like it is tearing. My surgery was last February 17th. All should be healed by now. Very frustrating.

I get my second fill on Monday.

Karen

Richmond, VA

you are right you shouldn't be having this pain anymore. sometimes activity might make the port site sore but not enough to have to wear a abd. brace. I had gallbladder surgery in feb. and all my scars are even gone. they may need to reposition the port or perhaps a stitch broke . since you are seeing your doctor for a fill you be sure he gives you a clear concise reason this is happening to you. be assertive, your goal is to be pain free and to get along with your life but you can't as long as you are reminded constantly with pain. wish you well

Thank you so much for your reply. It upsets me that I might have to have further surgery. It was so painful the first time! Maybe that's why, tho... because he put it in the wrong place? Or not deep enough in the muscle? I don't know. It's VERY frustrating. And then I find out AFTER the surgery that apparently Medicare didn't approve my surgery. The doctor's office appealed but it wasn't approved. Now what? And what's weird is that I met all of the conditions except that I'm not diabetic. But that's the one thing I was trying to avoid by having the surgery. Good grief.

Thanks everyone for your responses! I'm feeling a bit better today, but still sore and still with intermittent shoulder pain.

Last night I had the strangest thing happen though. Before I went up to bed I had a tiny codeine tablet (about the size of a third of a tic tac) and 4 spoons of the children's paracetamol. By the time I was halfway upstairs my mouth was literally pouring out saliva and I suddenly felt nauseous. I have never felt like that before. It eventually calmed down after about 5 minutes. So strange!

Lol terry...fart and be proud! That made me giggle!!

Walk, walk, walk. For me, the worst days were the first three, but not unbearable. I stayed on top of my pain meds. Best wishes and welcome to a whole new world!

Thanks everyone for your responses! I'm feeling a bit better today, but still sore and still with intermittent shoulder pain. Last night I had the strangest thing happen though. Before I went up to bed I had a tiny codeine tablet (about the size of a third of a tic tac) and 4 spoons of the children's paracetamol. By the time I was halfway upstairs my mouth was literally pouring out saliva and I suddenly felt nauseous. I have never felt like that before. It eventually calmed down after about 5 minutes. So strange! Lol terry...fart and be proud! That made me giggle!!

You still have a lot of swelling. Sounds like you just experienced your first sliming episode.

I had a lot of pain as well. Banded May 23, I couldn't move my shoulder or sit up straight. The hydrocodeine liquid form was the best. It didn't constipate or anything I lived on it once a day for 3 weeks. Wouldn't have made it successfully without it! It will definitely get better. Burp if you can and pass that gas the best way possible. I did it all!!