Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

why not go for "slim"?

This is about choosing a goal weight. Since I've never been "normal" weight for any length of time, I chose my goal weight mathmatically. I'm 5'8" and the healthy BMI range of 18.5-24.9 would have me between 122 lbs and 164 lbs. I put my goal at 143, because it's right smack in the center of that range. (Okay, actually my goal is 140, a nice even number.)

I've noticed that quite a few people here set their goal weight at a point that puts them above the healthy BMI threshhold of 25. Why is that? I'm wondering if this is a weight where they felt comfortable before? Is it because they have a specific size in mind? Is it because they think once you are above a certain age, you'll never be "slim" again? Big bones? I always thought the BMI ranges were so wide in order to accommodate large, medium and small frames, so that wouldn't be the reason...

Or is it because we as fat people believe that no matter what measures we take, we are genetically destined to always be just a little chubbier than everyone else?

Or are we afraid of disappointing ourselves if we set the goal too low?

People ask me all the time what my goal is, and I tell them I don't really know. I have been heavy for so long that I don't know what weight I will be happy at. I guess I will know it when I get there. But for now, I can't really set a goal. I want to look good and feel good--I guess that's my goal.

That's a great question!

My doctor had me take a quiz pre-op, and it said what are your expectations with lap-band. I circled as an answer 'Lose 100% of my access weight'. They said that was wrong. Then we debated it (The NURSE said it was wrong..) then I said, I have seen people do it, and I think if I stick my mind to it, I will too. And so the other nurse and doctor said they thought I was very motivated to do well with this band. But according to 'statistics', the lap-band does not help people lose 100% of their body weight. My 'goal' weight is 185 I think, which puts my BMI at 25. I'm 6'0 and large framed, so even though that seems like a big number, I should be in a 12/14 and that would make me skinny. I don't want to go below that because I really prefer to have SOME curves (T&A&Hips).

We'll see as I get closer, but I think it would be nice to hear why others picked their number!

I have never been "slim" and understand to the core of my being that if I were to attempt to get there, I'd have to think about nothing but that 24/7. Every morsel to cross my lips would have to be analyzed and I'd have to exercise every moment I am not at work.

Personally, I don't feel the tradeoffs would be worth it at this point in my life. Maybe that will change when my kids are grown and gone, but for now I just want to be "healthy." "Slim" has no value for me.

My goal weight is what my doctor decided. I don't plan on stopping once i reach there but it seems like a much more reasonable goal to hit than my dream goal of 140. The number is not so important to me as the clothing size. I would love to be a size 8.

I liked the way I remember me looking at 135. Being 5' and "top heavy" it just seemed to be wheneI looked more evenly proportioned.

I had a bodyfat analysis done at my gym (a BodyPod), and it showed my lean body mass to be 150 lbs. I based my goal of 165 (at 5'7") on that, which puts me at a BMI of 25.8, just over the "normal" range for my height. But, once I get there, I'm going to have another bodyfat analysis done, and take a good look at myself in the mirror and decide whether or not I'm comfortable with that weight.

Tami

My goal weight is two things. For one, it's when I was last happy with myself and did not have weight on the mind. It's also the high end of the 25 BMI threshold (181 would put me at a BMI of 26).

Most people can depend on a BMI for a realistic weight but not all. I was just reading an article the other day about BMIs and professional body builders. They have a LOT of muscle mass, certainly not the norm. They are not going to fall into a BMI that appears healthy. They are going to be considered over weight even though they aren't.

But that isn't the norm.

I just want something more achievable and for me 155 seems easier to get to than 125. Once I get to 155 then I can reevaluate the situation. I have never been thin so I don't even know if my body can get that low.

I've posted the same question before. I really dont get it.

First and foremost though, what anyone else wants to weigh is none of my business. But there is no way I'd settle for anything less than a "normal" BMI if I'd gone to the extent of weight loss surgery.

Still, I've never been 200lbs overweight either.

I think its a combination of things. On a practical basis, there is the reality that many people's bodies are just not going to keep losing all the way down to a healthy BMI, the motivation, the impetus just runs out and once you've been really heavy, it gets harder to get to a normal BMI. Plus you often have denser bones and more muscle as a result of having been so heavy so a normal BMI is not possible, yet you are not necessarily "overfat" at a BMI of say 28.

But I definitely think there's an element of body dysmorphia at play. So many people say "my doctor says X but I would be way too skinny at X, so I'm going for Y". I think this is self deception to a point, you dont know that till you get there.

Then again, I've gotten to a normal BMI but always wanted to be low in my healthy weight range because last time I weighed this I thought I was fat. And at 27, to be at the top of your healthy weight range probably is fatter than a lot of your peers are. But having gotten there again, a) I've done so much running to lose this weight that I am most definitely leaner than I was last time I was 78kg. I'm at least a dress size smaller at the same weight and :( its gotten so difficult to lose anything now that I'm officially calling myself "at goal". I'd like to lose five or six more kilograms, but if it doesnt happen, so be it, I dont want to become obsessed, start dieting like crazy or overexercising when I've just spent the last 16 months of my life working darn hard to achieve a normal relationship with food. Why get obsessed over a few kgs at this stage of the game?

I think a more sensible approach is that "I will aim for y and then see where I go from there". I dont see how you CAN decide where you look and feel your best until you get there.

I am almost 5'9", and my current BMI is 29.96 (down 10 points!!) at 200 pounds even. My goal weight (currently) is 160 which would put me at a BMI of 23.9. I think that's great!! If I lose more than that, wonderful. When I get to 160, if I feel I could lose more or need to lose more, I will reevaluate.

In high school, I weighed 135, which is a BMI of 20. I don't understand where that comes from, because I will tell you that I looked anorexic. Seriously, people asked me. I had a 23" waist, and I couldn't have been thinner, no matter what the BMI says. I've never been a "good" weight for me. I went on hormone treatments and got pregnant, and within a year, I had gained 100 pounds! I sort of skipped a good-feeling body weight.

My doctor says my ideal is 143 (21.4 BMI). I think that might be a little ridiculous, honestly, but I'll see when I get closer.

I discussed it with my surgeon. He felt that 165 for me was reasonable and something I could accomplish. I actually have no idea if what range that would put me in. I should check that. LOL!