Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Regulated menstrual (tmi for some)

I noticed that since my surgery my menstrual appears to be regulating compared to pre surgery were I would get my menstrual ever 60+ days if I was lucky. The first week I dropped 12lbs and my menstrual came on shortly after. Since then I lost additional weight and this morning my menstrual came on again, making it a 29 day long cycle, which is considered normal. It's still early to indefinitely say, but I will be tracking it the next few months to see if their is a trend. Anyone else every experience irregular periods pre op and regulate post op? Please comment

This is part of the reason that I am wanting to have the surgery. I have PCOS and it causes irregular periods or a lack there of. I am hoping that I will be able to have a regular cycle without having to take medication. Here's hoping!

I had mine pre surgery, I was sleeved Feb 18th 2014 had it in March, then nothing in April and May. I thought I might be menopausal, but no symptoms like hot flashes etc. It's probably all hormones.

Edited by debknauss

My cycle has improved post op as well. I used to be irregular, get hormone related breakouts, and have very painful periods. Now, I still have normal hormone symptoms: increased appetite and sweets craving when premenstrual but no more breakouts and cramps are controlled by Tylenol.

I was on my cycle the day of surgery... The next day it stopped. May i had my cycle and it lasted one day.. It is now June and my cycle last two days!! I have been off BC pills since March, i will start back takin them this month hopefully July will be normal again

I was on my cycle the day of surgery... The next day it stopped. May i had my cycle and it lasted one day.. It is now June and my cycle last two days!! I have been off BC pills since March, i will start back takin them this month hopefully July will be normal again

may i please ask- how did the hospital address you having your cycle at surgery? did they provide you supplies, etc? i have been on bcp for a decade and stopped it last month per my OB/Gyn instructions for surgery, but of course i will be 'due' right around the day before surgery and i'm not sure if the hospital will allow me to use my own products??

@@mi75

Its funny i had my lapband in 2005 and also was on my cycle!! Lucky me

I told the nurse and she made me take off the one i had and put on the hospital undies and pad..she said normally I would not have on any undies!! I did bring my own pads but when i woke up from surgery they had some in the ladies room in a basket for me :)

I had RNY 4/8 and got my period the morning of, the have me so much heparin my flow was so heavy, I had an IV in one hand an oxygen thing on the other hand, it was a mess trying to keep myself clean.... I had a private room first day so I dealt with the hat I had to pee in every time so the nurses could see my outputs but they never changed it and it was so bloody but when I got moved to a room with a roommate, what a nightmare, we both had to pee in hats and no one ever changed them..... It was such a bad experience at a hospital that was supposed to be good

I had my cycle the day of surgery . When I awoke they had removed my panties and just had a pad tucked in there along with a catheter . I did bring my own but I'm sure if I needed extra the hospital would have had some .

I had RNY 4/8 and got my period the morning of, the have me so much heparin my flow was so heavy, I had an IV in one hand an oxygen thing on the other hand, it was a mess trying to keep myself clean.... I had a private room first day so I dealt with the hat I had to pee in every time so the nurses could see my outputs but they never changed it and it was so bloody but when I got moved to a room with a roommate, what a nightmare, we both had to pee in hats and no one ever changed them..... It was such a bad experience at a hospital that was supposed to be good

Omg!!! That is soooo sad!! I had a private room and I had to pee every 15-20 min and they un hooked me and walked me to the bathroom measured it and poured it out....im sorry yu had to go through that!! :(

I am having heavy bleeding during my menstrual cycle. My Obgyn said its because of the weight gain, after I lose the weight it will go back to normal. I'm looking forward to it going back to normal.

I also have PCOS. 3-6 months between cycles typically pre surgery. I have been about 5 weeks and very predictable since surgery. Initially, I was VERY emotional with my periods (probably due to hormone fluctuations caused from rapid fat loss). But that has improved significantly. I am starting today (4 months post op) and I felt that I ovulated 2 weeks ago and predicted for the third time in a row the onset of my period! I'm 41 and NEVER had this experience. I have very mild cramps and very little emotional symptoms (maybe prone to slightly unusual annoyance and tire slightly easier)... but really uneventful overall.

This surgery had a mad a huge dif in all of my pcos symptoms (except facial hair!!! arggggh), but totally worth it. I'm off metformin and feel great.

Good luck to you!

My cycle started right when I had surgery, then didn't stop until three months later. Then it started with having it every other week, now its back to be on going. I am showing signs of PCOS which my sister has, but my OB doesn't want to treat me for PCOS. Going to a new OB June 16th for more answers because this has slowed my weight loss A LOT! I see my little sister battle this everyday, and her battle with PCOS is pretty severe.