Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Comfort zones, true weight plateaus

Wow, its been a long time since I darkened the proverbial door of bariatric pal, for some reason I lost interest when the site changed over but I think I need to come back to you guys, because I have been feeling really comfortable, but not in a good way.

I'm about a year and a half post op, down about 90 pounds and for lack of a better word, really.... stuck? I'm probably not truly as stuck as I feel, but I've lost my steam and my weight loss as really leveled off to a halt.

Things have been great, never really been sick from my sleeve, down around what I think society considers "acceptable fat" meaning I'm around about a size 14 or 16 depending on the brand, except there are always a few that run small in my opinion (I AM LOOKING AT YOU, H&M, SCREW YOU AND YOUR SIZE 18 DENIM) I've experienced some huge emotional losses that I don't feel like getting into because its not really important here and I had a huge win in my book because I did not GAIN, so that was good.

I just need to get my focus back. I'm not 300+ pounds anymore so I think the months of losing 10, 15 pounds a month are gone. I think that this point I want to lose 30 pounds this year, and maybe 30 pounds next year and call it good. Anyone have any thoughts? tips? I feel discouraged. I cant mentally get out of 210-220 range. I bounce all over it but I can't seem to break 210. I would love to see 209 come up but that feels impossible right now to me for some reason.

Something similiar happened to me. I started over 300# and got into the 190s and like you was "acceptably fat" especially for my age (late 40s). I could shop in regular stores and everybody complimented me and I could do things I wanted.... my weight loss slowed to a crawl. I was losing maybe 2 pounds a month.

I thought alot about what was holding me back and I realized I had a little fear of being thin. Lots to go with that, but I examined my inner feelings and i decided i wanted to be not overweight anymore and got back on track and pushed through! I got to 158 my goal 14 months post op in Feb 2013. .... that was a loss of 150#

So, I maintained that for awhile and then got down to 150 in Sept 2013. Now I weigh about 140. I think I looked pretty good, normal sized at 158. My friend declared me officially a "skinny chick" (another friend called me skinny bitch...haha) so these last few vanity pounds made a difference in looks but not really noticable by me to be honest.

I think examining your deep down goals is great, because maybe you are "ok" where you are. If you are not okay and want to lose more, you have the tools to do it.

I think the question here is have you started a food diary, tracking fruit, non lean meats, caloric drinks, and exercise?

bahaha my first reaction was to be a little bit indignant at this responce because it felt a little less than sympathetic but you make a good point! In the beginning I was tracking my intake pretty tightly, and while yes, I still track, not as well as I used to, especially on the bad days when its probably MOST important to keep tabs.

I have trouble digesting Protein supplements and my doctor and I have sort of come to terms with the fact that I'm not going to be the 160 grams of Protein, 35 carbs type of person, most days I eat fairly vegitarian, if not vegan and that is ok, but probably does slow me down.

As for exercising I am really strugging with that. I have a membership, but I am in a depression and have not been able to make that a priority. I don't know why. My husband has been biking 35ish miles a day, I think I am going to join him for part of his ride.

Thank you for putting the facts of reality in my face, I sorta needed it, not that I didn't already know them but sometimes you need someone to tell you what is what.

I've been stuck in the comfort zone for a few months now. I lost 100lbs and keep bouncing up and down a few lbs. my original goal was to lose 105 lbs and I can't seem to get myself down that last 5 lbs. Every time I get within the 5lb range I relax my efforts and sabotage mysrlf. Grrrrr! Really old and self-defeating behavior of mine! Definitely need to do some deep thought about it and figure out what is holding me back, I also want to shake up my eating plan by trying the 5:2 diet that so many of the vets have been successful with.

Hey I'm sorry NurseGrace!!

I'm not meaning to be that way and I was. For that I apologize.

Well you don't have to do every little thing but you do want to eyeball. If it gets bad yes, but otherwise ... you know? Without the information that give to those questions, for me it is hard to help and possibly would be for any one else to give you support. :)

I envy you! Wish mine had done that. I'm in the same boat.

If I knew how to send a photo, I'd show you anti depressants. :) I'm glad!! Follow your hubby.

and lots and lots and LOTS of hugs. :)

Hi Grace. You are not alone. I didn't lose as much as I wanted during the honeymoon phase. Good news I haven't gained any back! YEAH US!!

After two years maintaining it is harder to get the scale moving again. My sugestion make a small change each week. Like this week count the carbs. Next week committ to exercise plan. I too have found sucess with the 5:2 fasting plan. Google it then read the tips pinned on this forum

And don't be discouraged. Weight loss appears to come slower then after surgery but its time to use the tool. Small portions, controlled eating, exercise , focus and patience will get u where u want to go. We got this!

The plan that Georgia gave you the link for really worked for me.

If you're eating vegan, you may just be eating too many carbs. As far as exercise goes, I have to look at is as medicine. I feel so much better when I am done, even if I have to drag myself there.

Good luck. you can do this. You just have to get your head back into it and go back to the basics.

I cannot agree with the others above more : exercise is a great anti depressant. From experience, I have taken my fair share of mood leveling antidepressants in the past (when obese), but nothing, and I mean NOTHING, feels better than finishing an exercise session. Endorphins are flowing, giving you a positive burst of energy for at least the rest of the day. And it gives you motivation to take another step in the right direction; make another change. Success is one small change at a time. You have done well so far and, yes, I do remember you from the beginning with all your knowledgable posts. Keep up your successes!

Edited by Fiddleman

i have various friends who are vegan. one is rail thin. he eats like 100 grams of Protein a day. he eats tempe for Breakfast, Beans for lunch, tofu for dinner. lots of veggies and always has Water in his hand. the other is obese. she eats tons of carbs, all kinds of processed junk including pop and chips. she s a vegan for ethical reasons, not health reasons... so being vegan isnt ness healthy or even full of veggies... i dont know how you eat, but its certainly possible to get your 60-70 grams of protein being vegan.. and to avoid processed carbs. you can totally lose the rest of you weight, you need to look a what you are eating and to get back on the exercise bandwagon... find some sort of movement you love and do it!

Welcome back Nurse Grace! Everyone is different. Some people have to give up some foods to avoid cravings and triggers. Others have to exercise. For me, I have to weigh myself daily, keep crap foods out of the house, weigh and measure to get my Protein in, and track fluids. I also exercise at moderate intensity for an hour three tines a week.

Lynda

I have been struggling with the same 5 lbs for the last 2 months! I'm now .4 away from -150 and just can't seem to motivate myself to get back on the wagon. I'm not gaining, but I'm not losing either. I'm not stalled, I've gotten complacent. I've quit walking during my lunch hour cause it's so dang hot (excuse). I've quit logging my foods and counting my calories (my fault again). I'm in a funk and can't seem to drag my butt back into gear. I can completely sympathize, but know the fault is in myself. I know what I need to do, I just need to do it! lol :)

I have been struggling with the same 5 lbs for the last 2 months! I'm now .4 away from -150 and just can't seem to motivate myself to get back on the wagon. I'm not gaining, but I'm not losing either. I'm not stalled, I've gotten complacent. I've quit walking during my lunch hour cause it's so dang hot (excuse). I've quit logging my foods and counting my calories (my fault again). I'm in a funk and can't seem to drag my butt back into gear. I can completely sympathize, but know the fault is in myself. I know what I need to do, I just need to do it! lol :)

I think you are my twin! Ha! I'm in. "Funk" too. :). Everyday I'm going together with it and every day I procrastinate. 4 years out and I actually feel yucky because of the way aim allowing myself to eat right now. But, this too shall pass! Let's motivate each other!