Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A week ago me and my partner was in Salt Lake for Comic Con. A well needed vacation. We decided to go out to the bar the last night. We didn't have anything to wear nice so we went to the mall and went clothes shopping. Everything I tried was way to small. We finally ended up getting me measured and discovered I was up to 48 size jeans. Humiliating.

I still can wear my 40s but I think they stretched and grew along with me.

I am a 36 year old guy, gay, always had a problem with my weight. I was a fat kid. I achieved weight loss twice in my life, at 21 I was in school and just coming out, I reached as far as 175 lbs.

Unfortunately I got into a bad relationship after that, gained back the weight probably to 320 lbs..

After 8 years I became restless and awoken, decided I was going to get out of this funk lose the weight and become better. I was still with this guy and within 8 months I was back down to 200 or so. He became more abusive and cruel and jealous so we had to part ways.

After finding my current partner I discovered I was HIV positive. And my emotional walls came falling down and I started to eat my emotions again.

After the weekend my partner looked up and found bariactric surgery was available with our United healthcare insurance. We just met with a doctor and they said that everything should be to go forth but not at their hospital.

I had to call for some sort of six month program which I am still waiting to hear from.

I am ready though. I hope I can do this.

I am so tired of struggling. I am so tired of worrying that I'm going to die of heart disease, diabetes, etc. I want to be "normal" and live life to the fullest.

I have so many things I'm up against. I would like it to be one less thing I have to deal with.

I gather it is a tool. I gather it will be hard but I'm up for it.

So how bad does it hurt?

Anyone wish they didn't do it?

What is with this 6 month deal?

You have a lot of obstacles but like most of us, you can overcome. Mt husband and I are 67. We have the heart problems, diabetes, asthma, knee replacement, back problems, neurological problems, HBP, so what are you waiting for? To get where we are? 5 months post sleeve we are "slim" smiling, happy, lost a total of (jointly) 140 lbs. Life is short. Live it. I wish you the best.

Hey! I am guessing from your use name you may be in Idaho? So am I! The 6 month thing is what many insurance companies require. They want you to follow a medically supervised diet for 6 months. Mine is 3 months. I didn't know what to expect for that and was devastated when I went in for my month 1 appointment and had not lost any weight. It sounds like different insurances are looking for different things. I think some want zero weight gain and others want a few pounds lost....I think they basically want to make sure that you can follow doctors orders. My doctor explained to me that yes they would love to see weight loss during the diet because it makes you healthier for surgery, but as long as I didn't a lot of weight, I would be fine. My doc has been more focused on using the diet and time to really prepare me for surgery.....getting a support system in place, learning about food choices, exercising EVERY day for 30 minutes, even if it is a light walk. It seems like such a long time at first but it goes by very quickly :-)

A week ago me and my partner was in Salt Lake for Comic Con. A well needed vacation. We decided to go out to the bar the last night. We didn't have anything to wear nice so we went to the mall and went clothes shopping. Everything I tried was way to small. We finally ended up getting me measured and discovered I was up to 48 size jeans. Humiliating.

I still can wear my 40s but I think they stretched and grew along with me.

I am a 36 year old guy, gay, always had a problem with my weight. I was a fat kid. I achieved weight loss twice in my life, at 21 I was in school and just coming out, I reached as far as 175 lbs.

Unfortunately I got into a bad relationship after that, gained back the weight probably to 320 lbs..

After 8 years I became restless and awoken, decided I was going to get out of this funk lose the weight and become better. I was still with this guy and within 8 months I was back down to 200 or so. He became more abusive and cruel and jealous so we had to part ways.

After finding my current partner I discovered I was HIV positive. And my emotional walls came falling down and I started to eat my emotions again.

After the weekend my partner looked up and found bariactric surgery was available with our United healthcare insurance. We just met with a doctor and they said that everything should be to go forth but not at their hospital.

I had to call for some sort of six month program which I am still waiting to hear from.

I am ready though. I hope I can do this.

I am so tired of struggling. I am so tired of worrying that I'm going to die of heart disease, diabetes, etc. I want to be "normal" and live life to the fullest.

I have so many things I'm up against. I would like it to be one less thing I have to deal with.

I gather it is a tool. I gather it will be hard but I'm up for it.

So how bad does it hurt?

Anyone wish they didn't do it?

What is with this 6 month deal?

You've been through a lot! I'm amazed at your resilience. I can't answer your questions because I am still pre-op, but I wish you all the best as you navigate the system :) There are lots of threads on here that will explain the procedure, the pain is different for everyone. Also, check out VSG videos of people's experiences on youtube. Some take the camera to the hospital and are filmed right after surgery, so you can get an idea of how they feel.

It seems like a short time, but it will go by faster than you think.

I think you are spot on in preparing for your new like in these next 6 months.

That is exactly what I did and am having nice success post-surgery.

Here are some things to think about - this is according to my doctor and as you will read on this forum it seems every doctor is different.

No soda for the rest of my life - so if you have a soda habit, try to kick it now

No alcohol for 6 months after surgery. I stopped my weekend beers 4 months prior to surgery and I thought this would be the hardest - but I don't miss it (unless I'm at the ball park and then I'm missing a beer and a dog :) )

The hardest was to no drinking during meals - that was the biggie and even 6 weeks post-op it still can be a challenge.

This isn't easy by any means and I have to say some of the emotional issues that need to get dealt with are much harder than figuring out what to eat. As my surgeon said AFTER surgery - "OK, the easy part is over--this is where the work starts."

I wish you the best of luck - this was truly one of the best decisions I've made for myself - and remember this is for YOU. Keep the eye on that prize and you will be successful.

Yes I do live in SE Idaho.

I've quit drinking Diet soda for about a year now. I occasional have one at a restaurant but I usually have Water.

That is one thing I am worried about is my Water intake. I drink a lot of water, I guess I am just going to have to figure it out. Probably not a big problem.

I never really drink alcohol much, I only do on occasions.

I quit smoking two months ago. Which probably led to my last increase of weight.

This overrating thing is my last vice I need to shake.

I'm just impatiently waiting for bariactric services to call and get me going.

Thank ya'll for your encouragement and comments. I appreciate it.

Well I am on a roll. The insurance called, sent me paperwork. I have one appointment with my doctor to start the dietary six month thing next Tuesday. Then I have to go 250 miles away to Boise to watch a seminar and meet with the surgeon on the 13th and 14th of this month. So it's moving fast. I am excited.

I told both my bosses, my two best friends and my partner has told his cousin. I don't think I will tell anymore. I am kind of private when it comes to my health.

I told my one boss because he just went through lap band last year. He sort of inspired me to start. I had to tell my other boss, one so he doesn't feel out of the loop, and two, so he doesn't start wondering of random days off. Both are very excited and supportive. I am lucky.

Good for you! Exciting!!! I am in Boise. I started the whole process by going to a seminar at St. Lukes. I didn't know anything about the Bariatric center or doctors going in, but I found out they are a Center for Excellence which is a big deal I guess! The seminar was great....I learned sooo much! And it was nice to hear the facts and numbers from a real doctor and a real program instead of from the internet. Dr. Korn did my seminar and I limed him a lot and chose him for the surgery.

And I hear ya about telling people. I told 2 coworkers that I was having lunch with one day....one more slender and athletic and one about my size. I actually got flak from the larger coworker and she told me we just needed to get together to ride bikes instead of having surgery! But then on the flip side, the other girl is over the top supportive!

Anyway! Happy to hear that things are moving along for you!!!!

Yeah I am taking Korn's seminar, and my first meeting is with Oakley. I wanted Valentine, but I don't really care right now I can make my decision later on, on which surgeon to choose.

I just wanted to get as much done with this trips as possible. To save as much PTO for the surgery as possible.

I don't know when I'm going to tell my coworkers. I probably will tell them after the fact. I supervise and manage 5 and the total group comes to a total of 14, including my two bosses and best friend. I am planning on being gone for a week, the week of thanksgiving. It will be less conspicuous and use up two less PTO days.

Everyone I have told said that's a weird time to have that kind of surgery. True. But the fact is the Thanksgiving is a horrible time for my family anyways. My dad past away from Bladder cancer the day before Thanksgiving, November 21st, 2012. It's never been the same after that. the family totally self destructed. I have no contact with my brother or sister or any of their kids,

Grand kids. My mom is the only one I talk to and do stuff with and I have to figure out what exactly to do if I do get my surgery then. ThAts just small stuff though

Boy I'm rambling on this morning. Lol

Ramble away!!!! I do the same thing! Who cares if Thanksgiving seems like a weird time. If it works for you and your partner then that is all that matters! I think it is smart! Especially if it helps you focus on positive stuff, like kicking of an awesome, healthier life!

Family can be hard....reeeeeally hard! I have a lot of friends that have become my family.....family we choose for ourselves!

How exciting to get the process started. How far out are your seminar and appointment?

I just told my mom tonight. She was very accepting of it. She said anytime you need that she will watch our girls (dogs).

I wasn't going to ask her not to tell my siblings because she wouldn't uphold it and I don't think I care. At least I have the means to do it and it's my life.

My appointment is next Wednesday. The seminar is the night before. We are driving up Monday night and making a nice trip away. Might go see what the buzz is all about with the meridian shopping mall thing. :)

My girlfriend and I had the sleeve done didn't hurt at all and it neither my pocket wich we end up paying less than 12grand for both of us. It's is worth it we have so much energy we do so much more my only regret it was WHY I DIDN'T SOONER!!! Best of luck!!

It was alright. Seemed a little too simple for the drive and all but I'm on track. Going to get the six month diet thing started this week on Wednesday. And then hopefully be ready to submit in October.

Feeling a little bit impatient but I just will have to go with the flow. :)