Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would you do it again?

Hello everyone! I'm new to this group. My sleeve date is 5/2/14, just 6 days away. I'm definitely nervous. So, here's my question to all of the veteran "Sleevers" who've gone through surgery and suffered the ups and downs of life after being sleeved.... Knowing what you know now, would you still make the choice to do it again?

Hi. My name is Julie. I was sleeved on 2/17/14.

HW 280

SW 264

CW 234

I would absolutely do it again. The positives outweighs the negatives 100% I am so excited about my new life!

Congrats on your brave choice to do this! Best of luck to you! You will not regret it. :)

God Bless!

Kellie right here with you may 5 surgery date.

I am a veteran and also one of the unfortunate patients who is still battling complications because of this surgery. I was just released from a 6 day stay in hospital due to another complication. It has been some of the most pain I have ever felt and the most difficult adventure I've ever been on.

I am almost 18 months post op and really encourage you to make sure that you know the risks. The first week or so after the surgery you will wish you never had it done and think you lost your mind. But as things progress and you start to head toward goal things will change. You will see your tool as an aid to get you there and you will depend on it to help you lose weight while you change your thinking about food. Fix the head you fix the body.

Now for your question: With everything I have gone through and am still going through I do not regret one moment of this decision. I was existing before and now I am living. Really living....That can't be taken from me......It has been worth every moment of my ordeal. I am very proud of my accomplishments and would do it again even with the complications in a Carolina second! :)

Edited by RJ'S/beginning

Would I do it again? I would have this surgery every single year if for some bizarre reason I had to in order to keep going/maintain. And you mentioned "suffering the ups and downs of life after being sleeved" -- well, for me there has been no suffering and no downs.* No complications from surgery, no nausea, no Constipation, no vomiting, no resentment at having to change the way I eat or having to be mindful about what I eat for the rest of my life. I love the way I live now. It is so much better than being a slave to cravings and finding myself in the cycle of overeating --> shame & self-hatred --> more overeating --> more shame etc.

*other than some pain and tiredness after surgery of course -- but even that wasn't a huge deal, since I expected it.

Now, lots of people do have complications or struggle with certain foods or getting enough fluids in, stuff like that. I recognize I am very lucky. But it's certainly possible to have the surgery and not have true "suffering" because of it. Good luck!

100% would do it all over again. Love my second chance

Would ABSOLUTELY do it again! Best decision I ever made (after marrying my husband)! LOL! It is normal to be scared. This is a HUGE life-changing choice. There are risks. Any surgery is a risk. But for many the risks of staying morbidly obese are worse. I had some minor post-op issues, Constipation and worse reflux, which is still an issue for me. If I wasn't a professional singer the reflux would probably not be that much of an issue but it affects my voice. I knew that it might be an issue but still chose to go forward and would, as I said, absolutely do it again. I still struggle with emotional/stress eating and my appetite returned around month 8 or 9 post-op. I was recently smacked in the face, metaphorically speaking, by my emotional eating and I think for long-term success one must come to terms with whatever triggers you to overeat. The surgery is a great tool but it doesn't cure the disease.

You can research this topic and probably find many similar threads with thousands of answers. But to answer your question, yes, I would do it again, but I didn't always say that.

In the beginning I worried a lot, and I wasn't sure I would do it again.I feared I would develop a leak, but at the point in my life I was, I felt the risk was worth the potential benefit. I had a complication of an infected incision post op that took about 7 weeks to heal. That infection really reminded me that while the risk of complications is pretty low, it DOES happen, and when it does, it's 100% you. In comparison and now that it's over, it was a pretty mild complication, but still frightening while it's going on because you don't know that you'll be OK. I also had a lot of weight to lose, so in the early days, I feared every pound lost would be my last, and I didn't want to have put myself through all of that for nothing.

Now at 16 months out, I feel great and I'm happy that I did it. I know that I'd still be 300 pounds and miserable. I used to always be on a diet, miserable because I was hungry AND fat. Now I still have to stay on a diet, though I'm much less hungry, and at least I'm thin while I'm doing it, so I'm not miserable about it. I've had to permanently change my life style to accommodate the changes I made to my body and it's not easy, but it was worth it to me.

So a couple of things to consider - What is your risk tolerance - is the risk worth the benefit to you? And, can you make the changes you need to make to succeed? Good luck to you!

Fantastic, wise responses from all of you. I'm a month away from being sleeved and I love reading all of these. Thank you! :)

My husband and I would definitely do it again. We were falling apart, sat on the sofa for a year thinking life was over. Ten years of WL seminars. We decided we had nothing to lose (except weight) the way we were living. He just booked a 7-day cruise for his birthday in June. He has had no problems, I have developed gout in my big toes. Other than that it has been easy for us. I have a bounce in my step again. I am smiling again. We are 67. Good luck!

Hi. My name is Kelly, too. :) My surgery is April 30th, a few days before you! I'm having the same feelings, but I'm soooo ready for this!

Good luck to you!

Heck yeah!

Yes yes yes, three months post op and zero regrets, zero complications. Down 75 pounds since preop diet.

Absolutely, without a doubt, 150% YES!!!! This surgery has changed my life, the quality of my life; it has upped my happiness, my confidence, my activeness with my children/with myself; it has completely altered my life for the better. I don't miss the food, I don't miss my fat or the rolls, the out of breathiness, the inability to bend over properly to tie my shoe or pick something up; and I definitely don't miss not being able to cross my legs, fit in a narrow chair, or go shopping and struggle to find something that fits right, looks good and that doesn't hug every extra tire on my body! I would do it over ten fold! It had been worth every pain, dizzy spell and chest tightening experience that plagues you immediately post-op. Chances are you are going to love your sleeve and life and all the positive experiences in between as your body changes and shrinks. One year from now you're going to look back and think, "Oh my gosh, I can't believe I was that big." You're going to look in a mirror and see that healthy, beautiful you that was hidden under all those layers. I think it's great that you've made this decision. Good luck on your surgery, I'll being saying a prayer for you!