Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I can't calorie count...

Ok so I suck at counting calories... I've never been good at it before or after surgery... I have tried endlessly but have not been able to get the hang of it.

Moreover, I find measuring out ingredients and things is a tad difficult when I'm not the one cooking... So I couldn't even begin to guess at what went into the dish let alone the amounts.

Does anyone use another for of tracking intake (ie. Spoons, mouthfuls, bites, cups, etc)? And does this equate to a rough caloric estimate (for example 4 mouthfuls is 200 calories?)

I know a chicken breast should be about a deck of cards or the palm of your hand for 3 oz . cheese should be the size of a domino for 1oz. 1/2 cup ice cream is the size of an ice cream scoop. 1 cup is the size of a tennis ball.

here is a link to a guide that should help you with portion sizes. I found i have to do the tedious job of measuring things out to before i eat them to make sure I get a pretty close to accurate count of calories. I use the app "MyFitnessPal" on my phone to help keep track of calories and Protein and it is helping.

Good luck!!

pancake thank you for the link.

I've tried my fitnesspal but again it doesn't really help if I don't know what's in it....

The last two days haven't been very good food wise. I think I over ate over the Easter weekend! I'm stressing lol

I use my fitness pal to keep track of my calories. Unfortunately there are going to be times when you don't always know what's in the food you eat so you just have to do your best to guess. If you want better results and more accurate calorie counting then you need to be preparing your own food.

Thanks treilly

Edited by phil2912

Phil, perhaps you're over-thinking it a bit? I've been using My Fitness Pal for two and a half years and would be lost without it. But that said, I don't always know everything that went into every dish I eat. For example, my daughter-in-law cooked a green chile quiche for a function at her church today. I happened to be at their house early this afternoon. She had some left over and offered me a piece. Since I hadn't had lunch (Lol - to say nothing of the fact that I love quiche!), I gladly accepted.

A couple of hours later I was back home and went to enter the quiche lunch into MFP. I did a search for "green chile quiche" and MFP returned many results. About the fourth or fifth one was a, "Crustless Green Chile Quiche, Homemade" with a serving size of "one wedge/square (4oz)". Close enough!

I've repeated the same process many times for restaurant meals. Are those entries precisely accurate? Certainly not. Are they as accurate and honest as I know how to make them - without fail. Is that good enough? My answer would be an unqualified, absolute "Yes!" Perfection is not realistic, sustainable, and most importantly, it's not necessary.

Special occasions sometimes result in my exceeding my average daily calorie goal. I can see that in MFP. And usually on the scale the following morning. So I make a mental note to reduce my calorie goal by 100-200 calories for a day or two. Again, I can see that in MFP and subsequently on the scale. There is no other tool that I know of that gives you the ability to manage your weight better than a food log. Next to the surgery itself, it is the most powerful tool that you can have in your arsenal.

Commit to logging for 90 days, make your entries as honest and accurate as you can and you'll see the results for yourself. Your confidence will go through the roof!

You're gonna love the new you!!

One more thought for you Phil. When you are at home, measure everything you eat. Measuring cups are great for liquids and I bought a digital scale from Amazon (it's been awhile but I think it was in the $25-$30 range) for weighing solids. After a few months you'll get quite good at eyeballing portion sizes with surprising accuracy. I eventually graduated to eyeballing first, and then measuring to see how close I was. It takes a little practice but it's another great confidence builder and you'll soon be able to estimate portion sizes quite accurately!!

I second everything DL said. I also would be lost without MFP. Today I went several hundred calories over my daily normal. I made Easter dinner, and enjoyed the fruits of my labor. Tomorrow I will get back on track. With entertaining I was hardly off my feet all day and my Fit Bit confirmed I got my 10,000 steps. With tracking food the most important part is to just acknowledge that you have eaten something. If you don't have the serving size perfect or all the ingredients listed, it's not as important as taking ownership of eating the item. I think it really comes down to how much do you want success? Sure, tracking takes a bit of time, but the success I have achieved as a result is worth every minute.

I also would be lost with out MFP. I might not religiously enter everything like today but I do it pretty much all week long. Yeah its a pain in the butt to measure everything but it helps me keep accountable for what I eat. As long as im measuring and using MFP, I can keep tabs on my eating habits. Also us the guide I mentioned before. That way you have an idea what a portion size is.

Absolutely myfitnesspal!! And you can add us as friends and see what we eat. As for portions. . 1/5 a cup is what I use for 3-5 bites. Even if I only do 2 bites I just call it 1/5

Thank you guys so much for your replies! @@loving.life it's really helpful to have that in mind.

@@pancake1271 I will try to follow some of you on MyFitnessPal (if I can figure out what i'm doing :P )

@@DLCoggin I always appreciate your posts/ replies and like reading what you have to say. I only hope I can get the the 'eyeballing' stage.

Everyone seems so confident and 'content'... I feel like I'm the only one questioning the WLS decision...

Edited by phil2912

Everyone questions WLS. Its a natural response. My husband had the lapband almost 2 years ago and has lost about 40lbs initially with it and has lost the last 40 since January. He doesn't count calories but then again he is training for the Lincoln marathon that's in 2 weeks. Hes running about 3-4 times a week so he can get away with not counting calories. WLS is just a tool to help you. Its not going to do all for you. Its still about calories in vs calories out.

Once you get you get to a point in you time with your WLS you will probably not need MFP. You'll have learned what a portion size is and a approximatelybhow many calories you've eaten without having to log it in.

Your thoughts are normal. Just remember the reason why you are considering wls in the first place. Hopefully the benefits of wls definitely out weigh the petty issue of measuring and logging your food.

Good luck! We are here for help and encouragement!

Edited by pancake1271

I have to agree with everyone, Phil. MFP is a wonderful tool and really helps keep you on track. I agree, also, that it would be a good idea to do your own meal prep. This way, you know exactly what is going into your meals. Yes, it's a pain to measure everything out, but soon enough you'll be able to eyeball most things. Good luck to you! :)

Phil,

One more thought, I know that DL said that he is able to accurately eye ball portions. However, studies have shown that most people are extremely bad at this. That doesn't mean that you can't learn the skill (most people are also extremely bad at golf, but a few still become pros!). I would caution you against eye balling portions whenever possible. The only way to learn portions is to measure. To get to where DL is takes a lot of patience, and probably a good deal of success and failure. As I approach the maintenance part of my journey I think that tracking what I eat and MFP is going to be critical to my long term success. You hear so many stories of people who keep the weight off for a few years, but eventually it begins to creap back on. Tracking and monitoring portion sizes is the only way I know that will ensure that I remain at the weight I want to be.

Oh, and one more thing, I think all of us have had second thoughts about what we have done to ourselves! WLS is a major physical change to our anatomy, but the biggest changes have to be to how we live with food for the rest of our lives. For me, my obesity would have eventually killed me. WLS has not only changed my life, I believe that it has saved my life. It is just one tool, but a powerful one.

I wish you only the best with your journey. It is different for everyone of us. Find what will work for you, I promise you its worth it!

Carol