Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have read alot of your experiences on being banded. Many of you refer to everything you have given up to have the band. The changes you have had to adapt to.The things you can't have, food you can't eat. I would like to hear about any and all these things.........Please.

Hi Angel and Welcome,

There really isn't anything I can't eat... I am careful with bread as I sometimes have difficulty with really soft types... but other than that... I can eat everything I used to eat but in smaller amounts. I find that I do not crave carbs as much as I crave Protein now. I try and avoid high calorie things that are liquid as the band does not restrict Fluid intake... so... I avoid ice-cream... milkshakes... cream Soups... alcohol etc. The biggest changes are that I chew everything REALLY well and I don't drink fluids with or for one hour after eating. I also do not drink anything with carbonation or take ibuprofen. Hope that helps.

Darcy

The only thing I've had to give up is large quantities of food! For the most part I can eat anything I want just not anytime I want.

I do have trouble with breads and cakes but only if I have other things on my stomache. In other words if I try to top off a dinner with a piece of cake, I'll have to pay the consequences. I don't eat breads with other foods bacause I tend to PB if I do. So, if I want bread I eat avg. of 1/2 pice toped with sandwich items of my choice and thats all. My guess is that it expands leaving little room for other foods.

The only thing I have had to give up is Carbonation..Beer /Sodas

It is hard for me to eat bread or rice with my current fill level but thats Ok to not have bread or rice. I get my carbs in with other foods. There are certain guidlines they "reccomend" you follow more then asking you to give up things. Like not drinking with your meals and not drinking until an hour afer you eat. Or eating your Proteins first, but not everyone follows the rules to the T it just depends on how bad you want it. Some have their own ways of achieving success with the band, its whatever works that matters as far as I'm concerned. If your losing, then the band is working is how I see it!

Sometimes you have to sacrifice things to get what you want. I want to be thin so the things I have had to sacrafice are so worth it. The band is the best thing I have EVER done!! It has changed my life in such a possitive way.

Carbonation is a big one, but I've gotten used to it. I sipped on a little less than half a soda last night, and that was it. I can drink lightly carbonated wines, like White Zinfandel.

I have trouble with tortillas for some reason. It seams that I can eat a half a sandwich with bread ok sometimes, but I have issues with burritos, no matter how much I chew. chips don't bother me though. Lessee... I know some people have trouble with noodles, but I don't have that problem yet. I'm hoping to go in for my second fill soon though. I currently have 2cc's in my 4cc band. I've found that I shouldn't eat solid food in the morning, so I'm trying to find a good Breakfast drink. I bought a protien powder today that I really don't like, but hopefully I'll find a way to mix it that makes it ok.

I guess the only other thing I can think of is that it might wierd you out a little to feel your port. I'm not sure if everyone can or not, but I can if I feel for it. It doesn't really bother me. I am interested in this mini port that I've heard about, but that will wait until I'm much closer to goal.

:D

I can't eat tortillas, either. I avoid bread, Pasta, and other starches and sweets, but probably could eat them if I wanted to. I do have dessert sometimes. When eating out my husband and I will share something and he even eats less, which is good for him, too.

I drink little alcohol, but do have some when the occasion calls for it. Sometimes I want to eat a big portion of something, but I'm not hungry for it.

I have also given up some behaviors: I no longer have to check the desks at school to see if I will fit; don't have to worry about booths in restaurants or seats in airplanes; don't have to wear baggy clothes to hide the rolls; and don't think I'm the biggest person in the room wherever I go.

Giving up many liquids takes getting used to, as well as "pigging out" on huge amounts of food. It takes adjusting, but is every bit worth it to be healthy and more of a normal size.

I've given up 40 pounds! Yeah!! I've given up wanting to catnap most of the day, being a couch potato, watching monotonous t.v., and letting life pass me by while I was stuffing my face.

I try to make healthier food choices (most of the time), drink lots of Water (but not w/meals), and exercise regularly. I try to avoid empty calories. I certainly never lack for delicious foods to eat! I've been able to complete 2 bicycling benefits (20 mile and 25 mile) with my family. I've given up half my health problems and prescription meds.

How do you put a value on your health and peace of mind? I've gained much more than I've given up.

All in all, I'd have to pull a Martha Stewart and say the Band, "It's a good thing!"

Hi Angeleyes,

I also can pretty much eat anything. I do have to chew a lot better, no fluids with meals or immediately after. Those are minor habit changes. Giving up soda was tough but that is actually up to your surgeons discretion. I don't think all docs say no soda. All in all I am thrilled with my band. I have given up just under 64 lbs since May. I have heard of slow losers but I think as you get closer to goal it gets more difficult too lose. Good luck in your search, Teresa

I have heard of one person who has eaten around her band and gained weight. But, very few of us are THAT special that we would be the one it didn't work for. I have certainly eaten pretty much anything I wanted and often fall off the 'band' wagon and can still report 67lbs lost.

The only thing I've really given up is breads, rice and Pasta which is exactly what got me here in the first place. The object, after all, is changing eating behaviors that have proven to be harmful. I haven't conquered the sweets monster, but I have done pretty good to avoid breads, rice and Pasta.

I've also given up seat belt extenders on the plane. My size 3x mu-mu's. Going to bed at night feeling like I'd eaten everything that wasn't nailed down. The idea that I might not make it from inside the mall to my car. The thought that I might never dance again and the feeling of being a sexless blob. I think I can safely say I won't miss these things too awfully much! :D

Guest MadameYess

Leatha you are a hoot. (sexless blob lol)

Madame yess

I have given up all my size 32, 30, 28, 26, and 24 clothes. (I'm negotiating with the other sizes.)

I've given up bra sizes that start with 5's.

I've given up my Bi-PAP machine and usually can't find my inhaler.

I've given up my cane and didn't have to order the walker.

I've given up many of my nights alone on the couch...and might again tonight :-D

I've given up wondering if I'll fit in the airline seat. (It is still tight, but I fit.)

I've given up half of my excess weight and an entire apron of hanging belly fat, and I'm working on giving up more!

I've given up double-digit sized-underwear.

There's lots more, but you get the idea.

The other question...the first banded person I met lost only ten pounds the first year. She lived on Soup and Starbucks. She stopped that and lost weight.

Angel Eyes, I'm with everyone else in not having much negative to report. But I'll throw one 'bad' thing into the pot.

I was a quantity eater and it didn't take long to accept the fact that pigouts are over forever. FINE!! That's what got me here and I'm happy to give them up. But even at over a year out, there is still one thing that catches me up sometimes and makes me a little sad for days past.

Breakfast. I miss weekend breakfasts of eggs with all the accoutrements. My husband is a cook and would happily whip up eggs Benedict if I wanted, and he often did. But now I have the combined issues of being tight in the mornings PLUS never being able to eat eggs, and that pretty much kills Breakfast for me.

Most days, of course, that's not a problem at all. Protein bars in the car on the way to work do me JUST FINE, since I never had time for breakfast anyway. It's just the weekend mornings that I miss it. Like today. :)

But that's just about the WORST thing about my banding experience. And in return I've been liberated in ways I haven't yet even realized.

I can live with it. :D

eggs are ok if you can eat them in the morning though right? I have no problem eating in the morning but I havent had a fill yet. Is that something you noticed after you got your fill or all along?