Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1st 12 hours after sleeve

My experience so far. The surgery took 1.5 hrs. The worst was waking up in recovery. The pain was excruciating but my nurse was quick in giving me pain meds . It lasted about 30 minutes. So far my comfort comes from my heating pad I'm moving up and down my back for pain, Chapstick , and an ice pack the nurse put behind my neck. I have a few hiccups and nausea spells. My mouth and tongue are dry so take a wet rag and wipe them with it and sucked a drop Water out of it to try to moisten tongue. I have walked a fe steps with no problem . I will update tomorrow

My experience so far. The surgery took 1.5 hrs. The worst was waking up in recovery. The pain was excruciating but my nurse was quick in giving me pain meds . It lasted about 30 minutes. So far my comfort comes from my heating pad I'm moving up and down my back for pain, Chapstick , and an ice pack the nurse put behind my neck. I have a few hiccups and nausea spells. My mouth and tongue are dry so take a wet rag and wipe them with it and sucked a drop Water out of it to try to moisten tongue. I have walked a fe steps with no problem . I will update tomorrow

. Hang in there!! Congrats on a successful

Surgery!!

Thanks for sharing. I'll have surgery May or June and have tried to imagine what to expect.

@Tammylb was your sugery laporascopic.... I didn't have a lot of incisional pain at all...... My back hurt, my neck and my Left shoulder from gas....... I wasn't offered a heating pad but wish I'd thought of that too..... I had a terrible headache many days post op but it gradually went away.... it was like a migraine.....it was horrible..... but it does get better....every day.

Lambeautiful yes it was laparoscopic. I haven't had any headache YET . When I walk or talk a lot the gas moves and u get nausea . They wake me up every hour to take my vitals and have me take 10 deep breaths. I take my swallow test later today . I'm a Winnie to pain and as of now this hasn't been as bad as I had prepared . I have 6 small cuts and only the one on my side hurts when i move or try to vomit .will update later!

Hang in there, okay?! Everything will be okay! You're almost at the finish line of getting out of the hospital, so don't even worry!

My first few hours after the surgery, I had a little nausea. I had surgery at 7:30 am and was up and walking the halls of the hospital for the first time at about 1:30. I went for another walk about 5:30 and that is when everything turned awful for me. I became so nauseated that no matter what they gave me, it did not help. I threw up all night long and felt like someone was sitting on my chest. The wonderful night RN I had, Joe, told me it would all be better in the morning, he promised. After a few choice words to him each time he said that and the glares I gave him, he would chuckle and say, mark my words....

Well, morning came and like a light switch, the nausea stopped, the vomitting stopped and I was ready to rock and roll, except for being exhausted from being up all night. It was truely amazing, just like he said....

So, anyone who does get "sick", it will pass rather quickly....even though it does seems possible at all!

It's now Day 2 the nurses where checking vitals every hour last night I had warm electric leg compressions was given a dose of blood thinner in my stomach to prevent blood clots this morning . My morphine pump is gone and I'm on IV Tylenol . I took my swallow test and past . I have now been instructed to drink one ounce of Fluid every 15 min. My tray had unsweetened tea beef broth unflavored Unjury and sf Popsicle . Too tired to look at laptop . I am not hungry i am only soar on the larger incision on side. And my throat is a little soar.

For me the IV tylenol was a life saver. I had a pca of dilaudid but all it did was make me tired.

I'm 8 days out and I've been taking Levsin for any nausea I have and it's really helpful. It's an antispasmotic from what I gather.

I had to go home on Lovenox injections because my BMI was in the range that it is required at the hospital that I had my surgery at.

I ended up staying an extra night and was very glad.

Hope all goes well for you as you transition home.

Thank u for sharing your experiences. I go in surgery in the morning. Helps to know what to expect. Heel fast

I didn't have any pain, a little burning in my stomach area and a little discomfort in my back and chest from the gas. Spent the first 12 hours sleeping the anesthesia off mostly. Hang in there!

I was only sore from the incision that they probably pulled the stomach remnants through. The others had no pain at all. I had no hunger or appetite until day of Clear liquids. Dr said it was because of my activity levels of walking 1.5 miles and only about 100 calories per day. They bumped me to full liquids a little early.

@@Tammylb was your sugery laporascopic.... I didn't have a lot of incisional pain at all...... My back hurt, my neck and my Left shoulder from gas....... I wasn't offered a heating pad but wish I'd thought of that too..... I had a terrible headache many days post op but it gradually went away.... it was like a migraine.....it was horrible..... but it does get better....every day.

Mine was laparoscopic and when I woke in recovery I was in so much pain I thought they made some type of mistake and something went wrong. This was my 5th surgery and I've never been in that amount of pain in my life.