Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Too many lows! I am going nuts!

Many wonderful things have happened to my blood glucose and insulin levels since VSG surgery. My sleeve has made my blood glucose levels near perfect, and has dropped my insulin levels to a third of what I once took. I am feeling deeply frustrated today, however, because with every pound I lose, my insulin need drops dramatically. Before this realization occurs, I experience horrible low blood sugar reactions, sometimes several a day. Last night I awoke to a 39 blood sugar, and couldn't believe I didn't go unconscious in my sleep.

I am on an insulin pump and I lower my basals everyday. I don't need reminders of how much this is improving my health. I guess I just needed to vent.

Thanks,

Amy

39 blood sugar, couldn't believe I didn't go unconscious in my sleep.
is the insulin pump only used only for diabetes 1 ????
will you always have to wear it???
hope you don't mind me asking
39 blood suger???? OMG :o
I would have been terrified too :o
i understand why you are venting, and you have every right to :huh:
am i understanding that YOU are the one that was told to adjust your insulin pump????
thats what your doc said??? to adust it yourself???
I hope you find a happy medium, where everything will work out :)
I have diabetes 11 - and i was/am lucky enough to be rid of all my meds :)
hope things get figured out sooner than later :)

good luck :)
kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

Hi Grammy,

Yes, I have Type I diabetes, which means my body attacked my pancreas when I was a child and destroyed the beta cells a body needs to produce insulin. It can't be cured. I have chosen to wear an insulin pump rather than inject insulin several times a day because I can fine tune the many boluses I have programmed into it. (For example, I need more insulin around dawn than I need in the afternoon or evening, so my pump is programmed to deliver it then.)

I adjust my insulin pump alone most days, because I am cutting the amount of insulin I am taking. I have done it for so long, it is obvious to me when and where the lows occur. I have a CDE (Certified Diabetes Educator) at the ready if I have questions, and I meet with her regularly.

That being said, I am very thankful for the good that has come from VSG, and still very frustrated about this disease.

Amy, My mom is a very brittle type 2 diabetic and uses the insulin pump. She has lost enough weight (non-surgery) that it is interfering with her insulin needs. She has gone from 300 units a day to 100 units. She too wakes up with 30's in the middle of the night. Her diabetic educator has cut her basils (spelling?) and boules levels. Do you keep glucose tabs handy for when you have super lows? Mamma has recently started exercising which causes her blood levels to drop, so her educator has had her stop the pump during exercise. Any bolus is delivered over an hour to keep her from going to low.

I too was a type 2 diabetic until my surgery, which has corrected the problem. In fact my A1c went from 7 to 5.5 (yea!!) This surgery has been a blessing and I hope you feel this way too. Please keep in touch with your educator and make the changes needed to keep you healthy. Congrats on your surgery and your continued weight loss.

Hey Amy I haven't talked to you in a while. My blood sugars are back to running high. There for a while they were really good but lately running on the high side again, it is frustrating and I haven't lowered my insulin intake that much.

Hey Angie--

I just saw your post. I am so sorry you are (or were 1 month ago) still having issues. My endo. and CDE have helped me lower my rates again, and I am happier these days than I was when I first posted this. I was having like 2 reactions a day and was ready to jump off a bridge. So glad that's over with!!!

@@Teachamy, have you considered using a Continuous Glucose Monitor? I have been using one for years, and I love it. It beeps me awake if I go out of range, either high or low, and I really sleep better knowing I'm being monitored. Just a thought... I know I will count on mine to help me know when to adjust my insulin dosages post op.

Hi Jessiquol,

Yes, I have a CBG sensor, and I HATE IT! (Medtronic minimed.) The alarm doesn't wake me up, but does drive DH nuts. When it alarms, my interstitial bg is at least 100 points different than what my bg is. The only time I ever found it helpful was when I looked at the flow chart and could see if it was climbing or dropping drastically. My CDE wants me to use it more, but she knows I hate it.

I miss my lab. He would always wake me up when it was low. (And was never trained as a Diabetic Alert dog, isn't that amazing?) Dear, boy. Such a good dog.

Anyway, weight loss is slowing, so the lows are slowing as well. :)

Hi Jessiquol,

Yes, I have a CBG sensor, and I HATE IT! (Medtronic minimed.) The alarm doesn't wake me up, but does drive DH nuts. When it alarms, my interstitial bg is at least 100 points different than what my bg is. The only time I ever found it helpful was when I looked at the flow chart and could see if it was climbing or dropping drastically. My CDE wants me to use it more, but she knows I hate it.

I miss my lab. He would always wake me up when it was low. (And was never trained as a Diabetic Alert dog, isn't that amazing?) Dear, boy. Such a good dog.

Anyway, weight loss is slowing, so the lows are slowing as well. :)

I hated the minimed sensor too... as much as I adore my dexcom! So much more accurate, stays in for a week, so much easier to insert... I would totally recommend giving it a try.

My boy cat used to wake me when my sugars were off... I miss him too.