Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is there hope

My surgery is scheduled for April 1st. When I got my date I was so excited and hopeful. Looking to my NRA journey. Mi was so disappointed with the band. Wasted so much time trying to work with it. So here I am so close to The Date. Right now I am wearing a surgical mask hiding away from my husband and daughter who are infested with germs (coughing, sneezing, fever. Hacking up all kinds of mucus). Wondering if the date of my surgery points out that I am having a cruel trick played on me. Will I get to the operating table or will I succumb to this dreaded illness. So here I am on this forum feeling sorry for myself reading looking for encouragement. I'm reading about people who have had the revision feel they art not loosing or loosing very slowly eating almost nothing. So right now I'm thinking what the hell am I doing. Will I loose the weight after everything? Help people. Throw me a lifeline here.

MaryE, can you revise your topic to something like, "Revision scheduled - is there hope?" so that people who have had successful revisions will see it and respond? I did not have a revision, so the best I can offer is this: Perhaps there is an additional adjustment when moving from a band to a sleeve. You have already been on a restricted diet, so you are not likely to see a sudden drop in weight as many do right after surgery. However, if you follow the program your doctor provides which is likely consuming less than 1,000 calories a day, how could you not lose weight over a period of time?

My Doctor only hires staff that have had the surgery, and two of his nurses have had the revision, and are doing wonderfully. there success is what help me to decide to get the sleeve instead of the band

My surgery is scheduled for April 1st. When I got my date I was so excited and hopeful. Looking to my NRA journey. Mi was so disappointed with the band. Wasted so much time trying to work with it. So here I am so close to The Date. Right now I am wearing a surgical mask hiding away from my husband and daughter who are infested with germs (coughing, sneezing, fever. Hacking up all kinds of mucus). Wondering if the date of my surgery points out that I am having a cruel trick played on me. Will I get to the operating table or will I succumb to this dreaded illness. So here I am on this forum feeling sorry for myself reading looking for encouragement. I'm reading about people who have had the revision feel they art not loosing or loosing very slowly eating almost nothing. So right now I'm thinking what the hell am I doing. Will I loose the weight after everything? Help people. Throw me a lifeline here.

Mary,

I had my lapband for 6 years!

I am 4 weeks out from my Revision and down 40 lbs. even if the weight loss ends up being slower ( which is not the case right now) I will be happy because today I ate 1 egg and a piece of bacon without that god awful stuck feeling in my chest and I didn't have to spend 30 min in the bathroom spitting. That alone was worth my revision. I also had sick people all around me till the day of surgery. Luckily I didn't catch it until a week after. You will do great!!! Get that band outta there!!

Splatt. Thank you for taking the time to respond your words put me at ease. Just feeling a little stressed. Looking to get this journey started. Yes I can't wait to get this band out.

Hi Mary - how are you doing? I have band to sleeve surgery scheduled for the 16th of June - feeling nervous. Hope you are doing well.

Hi Mary. I just wanted to reply. I had my band for five years and lost 28 pounds. I was sleeved just over a year ago at 240 pounds. I hit my surgeons goal of 170-177 in about nine months. I have surpassed that now and i am bouncing between 148 and 150. I am a normal BMI and I am still losing when i stay committed to eating right and moving. I think the friends I made here and recognizing what i did to fail with the band have been key. Some of the failure was the band's fault, but I take some responsibility too. I have found that for me this time i had to be accountable to myself and my support system. I have a couple of other revision friends here who are wildly successful. I think I did lose a little bit slower but I was prepared for that. My personal goal is 140 becsuse i really like my bify at that weight. Really in the end does it matter if it takes us 18 months to reach our goal while others get there is ten? Working at it and getting there is what matters. I'm confident you will do that.

I had revision surgery 2 years ago. I had my band for a year and only lost 40 lbs. I started at 265 on a 5'1" frame. My band slipped and I was pissy. since my revision I have lost a total of 118 lbs. I'm dealing with a thyroid prob and I'm apparently severely Vitamin D deficient but I still trucking along. Don't give up hope. :P

I has the band in me 2011 was the first time I had it and I lost 100 pounds in 3 months but I think it had to do with more from contracting h pilorie how ever it spelled .. It Bent my stomach they removed it then they put it back in 8 months later and no weight loss but it stated to slip again . 2013 went to a new dr due to insurance change and dr suh said it was slipping I asked for the sleeve .. Jun 1 2014 I revised to the sleeve .. Still soar . Only. 4 days out still only drinking broth .. Not on pain meds either . I my self am excited about the new life style . So far no complications either .

Good luck with recovery!!!! I didn't even give the band a second thought when I read it could slip. That scared me!!!! I'm glad you got it taken out and I think you will have greater success now. I will be sleeved in sept and I am very excited.

Thank you .. I only did the band first cause I was scared of the by pass that what my old dr wanted to give me cause my insurance at the time would not cover it .. Now I am happy it's out .. I met a couple of people that have the band abd it works for them

It's a normal fear and honestly statistics show revisions have poorer results. I believe we make our own luck so focused on what I could control (lifestyle changes) and learned some lessons from my 10 years of band failure. Result for me was losing over 160 with the sleeve ... I weighed 141 this morning.

Way to go cowgirl .. I wish they would of covered the sleeve I would of fine that first .

I don't know if the revision will slow me down I hope not .. Still not weigh in yet and on broth and tea been 5 days now .. How long did it take you to get to 141 ?