Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lost control & feel like a failure!

Well, I wasn't even going to post about this but I feel so down in the dumps so I'm reaching out here. My PRE-op 2 week diet consisted of 3 Protein shakes a day, I could have 3 meals a day with 3-4 oz of a lean high Protein meat and 1/2-1 cup of veggies at each meal. I could also have an egg for Breakfast if I didn't want meat.The goal was to stay around 600 calories a day, not including the calories from my Protein Shakes, and avoid carbs.

I know so many people who have to do all liquids and no solid food, so I feel so blessed to be able to eat..even if it's a little bit.

I was doing so good until this weekend and I don't even know what happened. I just lost control and pigged out. I had headaches and was very irritable but I had lost 9 lbs since this past Thursday so it was encouraging and I was doing so good.

Saturday I woke up hungry so I ate 2 scrambled eggs with a tiny bit of cheese sprinkled on it. I decided to skip lunch (big mistake) because I wasn't hungry and figured I could just eat a little extra at dinner. dinner rolled around and my hands were shaking and I felt faint, I was TRULY hungry! I told myself I would have one piece of fried fish and one chicken tender. Once I started eating I felt this burst of energy and I felt SO good putting that food in my system. Somehow I lost control and literally pigged out. I don't know why I didn't stop myself but I had such a rush and it felt so good putting energy in my body and I just didn't want to stop that feeling so I kept eating.

I soon realized that the good feeling didn't last long and left me feeling blah and lethargic, it wasn't even worth the high I temporarily felt from eating all of that food. I was so ashamed, I cried, and wanted to crawl in a ball in a corner. There are people who can only have liquids and they didn't fail...and here I was able to eat a little solids and still failed! I'm embarrassed of myself and didn't even want to post this.

I know what everyone reading this is thinking...how I'm such an idiot for doing what I did. I know how the saying goes, if you fail in the PRE op part, you have a good chance of failing POST op.

I'm not really sure what to do, I've jumped right back on the good girl wagon but my head is still hanging low. Should I try and make up for my mess ups this weekend by doing liquids only? I just keep picturing my liver cracking or falling apart during surgery and it scares me. Or him opening me up and not doing it because of a fatty liver. My surgery is supposed to be on the 2nd or 3rd (so about 10-11 days away)..I will know for sure on Tuesday.

Someone tell me I'm not the only one who royally f"ed up my PRE op diet? Anyone have any advice or experience in the "cheating on pre op diet" department?

If anyone needs me I'll be in a corner holding my head down in shame.

Edited by MorganO87

did you gain any weight by pigging out? or have you maintained the weight loss. I recommend calm down, and follow the strict plan going forward. I like GNC's Lean 25 swiss chocolate shakes, they were delicious!

I have news for you, while I certainly don't condone what you did none of us is perfect. I didn't mess up pre op but I'm having a hard time right now. It doesn't really matter what stage of this journey your in, if you fall off the hoarse the best thing to do is get back on and ride harder. It doesn't make you a failure. It's how you handle your mistakes that either makes or breaks you. Learn from it and don't do it again.

did you gain any weight by pigging out? or have you maintained the weight loss. I recommend calm down, and follow the strict plan going forward. I like GNC's Lean 25 swiss chocolate shakes, they were delicious!

I didn't gain any weight, I was very surprised. It may catch up to me but I'm hoping it doesn't!

My pre op diet was only 7 days and included 2 shakes, 1 sensible meal and 2 Snacks. Just start again tomorrow and don't let yourself get so starved and you'll be fine. You still have 10 days left and you'll do fine. Remember before you go off the rails again why you are doing this and how important it is to have you liver in the best shape possible.

My preop diet was Clear Liquids the day before surgery and nothing day of surgery, that's it. My liver was just fine, surgery went great. Follow what your program says, but I was just fine with my very minimal preop, if that will calm your fears any. Good luck, you can do this!!

My surgeon gives his pre-ops a cheat day in the two week period. I know having the cheat day in my future during week one kept me on track.

I think this is smart because they must have realized this day helps keep people on track instead of cheating every day. I used this past Saturday as my day and I'm a week out from surgery tomorrow.

I did kind of worry that I plumped up my liver again but I guess they must know what they are doing. :)

I had to do Protein shakes for two weeks..... if i did eat anything is was lean chicken or turkey and a veggie...... Don't beat yourself up for messing up a little..... After surgery it's actually easier to stay with the program. The smaller stomach keeps you from wanting to eat more or the wrong things.... At least that was the case for me and the whole reason I had it done. because i had trouble controlling my hunger. The sleeve is a great too for helping us control our eating. I don't have real hunger anymore and I fill up easy with very little food. I don't find it hard to stick with the post op diet at all. Amazingly i have stuck to it for four weeks now and out........

Just pick yourself up again and start over...... You'll do just fine...... I had to have a chinese food funeral, then a mexican food funeral etc and ice cream funeral before i even started the pre op diet as I thought I'd never be able to eat my favorite foods ever again but from what i can tell by others is that one day I can eat something that i always loved but it will be in very small portions and not every day but that's after I reach my goal maybe..... I don't think I'll ever eat ice cream again..... that's way off track... and not something I want to start eating again. My tastes in food has changed and I actually like the healthy foods way better now. than the junk.... I bought my teen age son McDonalds today and the smell of it was not appealing to me at all...... in fact it was making me feel nauseous to smell. it........ Good Luck :)

I feel you should get back up dust off ya shoulders and finish strong.we all fall short sometimes! You can do this don't count yourself out !!

You have to stop beating yourself up!!! You're not a failure, you are human. If we didn't all mess up on diets now and again, then we wouldn't be here!! This is hard and anyone who thinks it isn't is very mistaken. By posting on here, you have owned your mistake and you need to just move forward...you got this!!!

I just did the same thing yesterday. My surgery is next Monday. I woke up this morning determined to be 100% after beating myself up last night. We're human and it's bound to get best of us sometimes. Move on and do better in the following days. At least that's what I'm telling myself lol :)

I'm on week 2 of my pre-op diet. I went completely bonkers over the weekend. I won't even tell you what all I ate. Today started the liquid only part of the diet and I was so hunghy last night I couldn't sleep. Finally, around 0430, I got up and ate some deli turkey and raw broccoli. I've read through all these posts and there are lots of people who don't even have a pre-op diet. They have their surgery and there are no problems with their liver. Yes, it's what my doctor ordered and yes, I think it's a good idea. But I need this surgery because I can't control my eating. If I could live on 3 Protein Shakes a day, I wouldn't be needing this surgery. I'm doing the very best I can with this pre-op diet, I truly am. I'm not going to beat myself up for not being perfect. As long as I know I doing the absolute best I can, I can live with it.

Morgan don't beat urself up, we're not perfect. Just get back on the wagon and keep on rollin!

Your journey is a long road but there is a light at end of the tunnel.

Stay focused and keep ur eye on the prize!

GL on ur journey!