Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A little about myself.... I am presently a 65 yr old post menopausal woman, with a lot of medical issues (heart disease (triple heart bypass 9 yrs ago), hypertension (medically controled), high cholesterol (medically controled), type 2 diabetes (medically controlled w/ oral and insilin...my FBS range from 130- 150), and hypothyroidism (also medically controled). So you can see that I do take a lot of daily prescribed medicines. I am 5' 7-1/2" tall and my present weight is 264.5 lbs. I am very inactive. I do weekly housework, but do not exercise at all. I try to eat healthy, but do occasionally slip. I amaze my husband that I haven't lost any weight with the small amount of food I eat at each meal. I stop eating after 8pm.

I was banded on July 1, 2008, and my band has failed me! The first 6 months after surgery, I had lost about 15 lbs but the weightloss slowly came to a halt and I haven't lost any more weight since then. As a matter of fact, I have gained all of the weight back that I did lose and am back up to my original weight before surgery. I am very frustrated with my band and myself. I eat a lot less than I did before the surgery, because I still get "stuck" if I don't chew well enough and take small bites. So I have learned to lessen my portions considerably, but just don't lose any weight. In other words...I have just given up on my band. I haven't seen my bariatric surgeon for over 5 yrs...mainly because it is a long 300 mile drive to see him each time. I wish now that I would never have had the lapband inserted....it doesn't work for me and has caused me a lot of discomfort when eating. I'm not thrilled about having another surgery to remove it, but that may have to happen.

Are there other lapbanders on this forum whose lapband has failed? I'd like to hear from some of them.

toomuchme008 :unsure:

Have you had any fills since your surgeon is so far away? Maybe your thyroid issue is the reason you are not losing weight. I would find another surgeon close to where you live and see if they can get you back on track with some fills. Never give up on your band there has to be another reason why you have not lost weight. You also have to be active to lose weight. Don't give up just find a doctor in your area that will see you.

From what I am reading the band did not fail you, you failed the band. We all expect to lose magically without effort but that is not reality. If there is nothing wrong with your band and you haven't had a fill or a checkup in 5 years you should contact another Dr. and start working the band like it was intended. I am not sure the purpose of asking for other people who have "failed" bands but I hope you don't give up and want others to verify your diagnosis of a "failed" band. Some people do indeed have slips and issues with the band no doubt just like other WLS there are bound to be failures . Some are from patient non compliance and others are truly a fail from some other cause. Before I gave up though I would consult with another surgeon and make sure your band is no slipped. Best of Luck to you in the future. I am a 67 year old woman who had some of the same medical issues as you and I am no longer on any medication thanks to my Band.

Sue, sorry you're having a tough time. Being 300 miles from your surgeon is a huge issue for banded folks. Is there a Lapband practice near you now? Did you ever have any fills?

Feeling stuck is never a good sign.

Please make an appointment to get your band checked out and discuss your options moving forward.

Best of luck to you!

You've made a big mistake by not following up with your surgeon. Then again, I don't know your surgeon and maybe you never got the support you needed?

I know going back just 3 years ago surgeons were selling the band as a tool that would stop us from eating less, but that's not what it does. It can help us to feel satisfied with less food. Unfortunately, about 34% of people who are banded never hear, see or feel that satiety signal and continue to eat beyond any signal and make mistakes such as eating too big and too fast.

The band was oversold, imo.

But, if you want it to work, you'll have to follow up with your doctor and bite the bullet for making a few trips. Or, have it removed? Here's a survey taken that addresses patient follow up success ratios.

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/300825-washington-state-survey-fyi/

Edited by 2muchfun

@@2muchfun

Here's a survey(from your state) taken that addresses patient follow up success ratios.

I missed where Sue said she was from Washington.

@@2muchfun

Here's a survey(from your state) taken that addresses patient follow up success ratios.

I missed where Sue said she was from Washington.

My tin foil hat told me this :blink: :wacko:

Like this?

post-198018-0-65902000-1395081425_thumb.jpg

Like this?

I can only wish mine was that awesome? This could have been me 3 years ago.

post-41899-0-20895500-1395082390_thumb.jpg

Well , I'm 65 and 15 months out on my surgery. I've lost quite a bit of weight but am at a standstill right now. My highest weight was 289 and I can't get past 207! I however, follow up with my surgeon and it 's a 3 hour drive each way. I'm still getting fills and I spoke to my surgeon about going to see him every other month. As soon as I can get below 200 he'll consider it. I have many of the same medical issues as you and due to a disability cannot actively participate in heavy exercise. However, I am now walking in stores holding onto a shopping cart. I no longer use a mobility cart unless absolutely necessary.

No, the band has not failed me and when I don't eat properly and have a slight gain it is me, myself and I who have failed the band . I know I need more exercise and less food to succeed. It 's not easy but I am so determined to keep trying until I succeed .

Please do yourself a favor and go back to a bariatric surgeon closer to you if you feel 300 miles is too far. Don 't give up and make sure your thyroid medication is working properly . Will your insurance cover you going to see a new doctor ? If not, try and work out a payment plan. I had to have $4800 worth of dental work so I paid what I could in cash and I was approved for Care Credit to handle the balance. Please don't give up and perhaps you should start a 5 day liquid diet to see that your pouch is working properly. Don 't ever give up and I wish you much success. God bless on your endeavor.

You say that your band has forced you to lessen the quantity of food .That is its task.

Your band hasn't failed

If you suffer from hypotyroidism, aren't you likely not to lose weight because of this issue ?

It is under control, but maybe it is not enough.

I hope you can make friends with your band again

I wish you the best luck