Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any RNs out there?

I'm an RN too! I'm taking 4 weeks because my job won't let me come back with restrictions.

I am a nurse too. I am planning on taking 4 weeks. If you work 12 hour shifts, please make sure you feel well before returning. Good Luck!

I'm also a nurse and was wondering the same thing, so I'm glad you asked the question! I will have my surgery at end of April as I have a week's vacation at the beginning of May. I was planning to tweak my schedule around to get 2 weeks off, but as you know, 12 hour shifts are gruelling and I'm very concerned about setting my recovery back by returning to work too soon.

So how do you take 4 weeks off? FMLA without pay?

I'm a nurse... I'm having my surgery March 10th at the hospital I work at. I also work 12hr shifts, at night. I am only taking 2 weeks off. I can't afford to take longer and I think it will be just fine. The people I work all know I'm having surgery and they are very helpful. If I need longer I know my manager will work with me.

I took FMLA and I had 2 weeks of PTO. I ended up taking a week and half off. As to FMLA without PTO. you just don't get paid but you are still granted FMLA. if that makes any sense. I suggest to take as much time off as you can. I am 3 weeks post op and I can't bend over to help pt. that are in bed. By 8 hours I am so sore and i am ready to lay down and take a pain pill. There is no way I would be able to work 12 hours. Some people recover faster than others, so you never know how your body will feel after you go back to work. I wish that my dr. didn't release me to go back to work yet. I was lucky and my job allowed me to be on light duty for a week. If you can take of a month or more to let your muscle heal. We use them a lot.

One other question: is anyone else concerned about getting their Water intake at work? I'm a NICU nurse, and it is against policy to have ANY drinks in the rooms with us; we have to leave them out at the clerks' desk. we can't leave our room unless there is another RN in the room. I will ask my boss for permission to have water with me and even get a note from my doctor, but I have a feeling they will only print out a copy of the policy and hand it to me. :( Anyone else concerned about this?

I am an oncology nurse and my Dr insists I take 6 weeks off. I was not happy at first, but since a nasty virus decided to attack me I am glad he insisted. Also I am taking longer to recover than usual. Probably age related lol.

I'm an RN with a desk job. I was out about 4-5 weeks. There is also a nurses support group on here - you could search for it and join if you want! Good luck!