Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I think it might just be the stress on the body from losing so much weight so quickly. Everyone is different though.

Went through that at about 3 months post op. I thought I would go bald. Your body s trying to adjust to the rapid weight loss and it throws everything out of whack. A Vitamin called, hair, skin and nail does help. It will grow back, but may take a month or so.

Get you some Biotin it's a supplement that comes in a quick dissolve formula. Great for skin hair and nails! I have taken it for years ,way before my WLS

anytime you cause stress on your body it seems as if the hair takes a beating. I started taking Biotin and I changed shampoos. and not to the expensive stuff. my hubby bought suave moraccan shiny formula to put in my Christmas stocking. I love it. it made my hair shiny and healthy looking even if it was falling out. I am 8 mos out and my hair has stopped falling out now. so keep up your Protein and add biotin.

I'm 3 months post-op and have been drinking/eating all my Protein and taking all Vitamins, Biotin and Omega fish oils and just within a week I've started losing globs of hair, especially after I Shampoo. So I'm washing every other day. I was expecting this may happen, but so emotionally distressing and nerve wrecking to see it come out so much so quickly. I'm totally freaked out. Praying it slows down soon.

I just went through this and it was awful. But did want to give you hope...it was really bad over the summer and fall especially as I had hip replacement surgery in October and even more hair came out. But about six weeks ago, I realized it was coming back in and today, no more thin spots..no scalp showing anymore. So hang in there...it will get better.

Thank you all! I will get some Biotin. I knew about Biotin, but just hadn't gotten it yet. I have really, really, thick hair and usually my hair dresser has to do "thin" my hair at each visit. Im afraid she isn't going to need to do that this time. So, luckily, I don't have any bald spots, but I can certainly tell that my hair isn't as thick as it usually is in some spots and though Im not pulling out clumps, it is coming out more than usual.

Can you get Biotin at the pharmacy (CVS, RiteAid...)?

Thank you again!

It's just an overall lack of nutrition. We get just enough to keep our body functioning, but leaves little else to spare. To stop your hairloss, the most successful thing I know of is to take Biotin supplements and topical products with Keratin (sp?) Keracare by Avlon is excellent and can be purchased at JCPenney's and other major retailers...word of advice, it's cheaper but risky to buy it online unless it's from a major company.

What is it that makes you possibly lose hair? Is it the lack of Protein or the lack of Vitamins? I'm 3 months post op and i feel like my hair is falling out. Thoughts? Thank you....

Edited by PrettyThick1

I get mine at Walmart 1000 mg easy dissolve by Naturol

What is it that makes you possibly lose hair? Is it the lack of Protein or the lack of Vitamins? I'm 3 months post op and i feel like my hair is falling out. Thoughts? Thank you....

Stress and hormonal changes can also trigger temporary Hair loss. Either of these conditions may accompany a weight reduction regime. Because a small amount of estrogen is produced in fatty tissue, some individuals may experience hormonal changes with weight loss. Stress can be a factor as new habits and lifestyle changes are implemented and food is no longer used as a coping mechanism. It's normal to lose hair at certain times of the year. You'll notice it more at some times than others, even when you're not dieting. If you're one of the people who tend to have temporary hair loss with dieting, and it's a time when you'd naturally lose some hair, it will certainly be more noticeable to you.

Lack of Protein and Vitamin supplementation can be a factor for some individuals during weight loss as can a low fat intake. There have been anecdotal reports that adding "Essential Fatty Acids" (also known as EFAs and sold in most health food stores) or oil (such as 1 teaspoon of olive, safflower, flaxseed, soybean, oil per day) to the diet may help, but no well-done studies are available to the best of my knowledge. Digestive enzymes and high-sulfur foods, such as eggs, have also been reported to help. It's also important to drink adequate amounts of Water each day, to keep the body well-hydrated.-http://www.lindora.com/faqs.aspx?faqID=127

I have an amazing hair Skin Nails supplement. http://showstopperwraps.myitworks.com/shop/product/322/

Thank you all! I will get some Biotin. I knew about Biotin, but just hadn't gotten it yet. I have really, really, thick hair and usually my hair dresser has to do "thin" my hair at each visit. Im afraid she isn't going to need to do that this time. So, luckily, I don't have any bald spots, but I can certainly tell that my hair isn't as thick as it usually is in some spots and though Im not pulling out clumps, it is coming out more than usual.

Can you get Biotin at the pharmacy (CVS, RiteAid...)?

Thank you again!

I lost a lot of hair around the 3 month mark too. I was taking hand fulls out!! It seems to have calmed down now and everything is going back to normal. My nurse said it may be from the anesthetic or stress on the body from surgery.

I knew going into this that hair loss was a very real possibility but a part of me was hoping that I would be "special" and I would dodge the huge shed bullet or it wouldn't be too bad. Ha! No such luck.

I have been losing huge amounts of hair. So much that I actually cut my very long hair to just below my shoulders because the huge balls of hair were distressing to deal with. I am talking balls of hair the size of a shower pouff. I was sad to chop off my hair but dealing with those huge hanks of shed hair was too depressing and I couldn't handle it, any more. It's a good thing I had extremely thick hair or I would be bald, right now! :lol: When I went in to have my hair cut, my stylist was shocked at how much thinner my hair is. I hope the shedding slows down, soon. I don't know how much more I can afford to lose! :unsure:

When I weigh the cost of losing hair against the certainty of losing the weight, losing my hair is a price I am willing to pay but boy does it hurt, while I am paying it.

I am losing hair too but I had started taking hairfinity pills. So for I am seeing results.