Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey everybody. I just wanted to update. I am 1 month post-op and down 22lbs since day of surgery and 42lbs total from highest weight. Although I don't really see much of a change yet, my family says they can really tell. I am thrilled by that. I do have a question though. My dr. has recommended that I try to get in 1000-1200 calories daily. Does anybody else have that high of a requirement? I am having a really hard time doing that. At this point, I haven't been able to consume more than 650 calories in a day due to nausea and feeling extremely full. My goal is to have 75 grams of Protein as well. I try to get a lot of my protein from food sources, but being that I can't really eat much more than 3-4 tablespoons of any given food, that can be a little difficult. I have been trying to change my Protein shakes frequently cause I still haven't found one that I really enjoy. I have been doing a little protein shot that's about 3.8oz with 2 grams of protein for the last 2 weeks, but even that has been hard to choke down lately. Right now I have flavorless Protein powder that I try to sprinkle on my food and drinks which has been helping a little. What are your favorite Protein Shakes? I need some more options, lol! Also, my Dr. hasn't really given me any information regarding fat and carbs totals. Other than being low carb and fat, I'm not really sure of a min and max daily allowance. I know all Dr's are different, but would anybody be willing to share their requirements at 4 weeks out. Thanks so much for all the support! Living and learning day by day!

There are ppl that are a year or more out that don't go up to that many calories. I see them usually around 800-900 at a yr out. I think you're in the right zone, but of course I'm no doc.

Every one is a little bit different. I found when I ate 60+ grams of Protein but kept my calories low (less than 850) that I was in such a brain fog and dizzy that I couldn't function. My Dr told me to boost my calories and I eat between 1000 - 1200 per day. Once I did that my weight loss has been pretty steady at 2 pounds per week, and I am almost 9 months post surgery.

If you aren't comfortable at 1200 calories then find a place that works for you and see how you feel and how your weight loss trends. You will find that the "requirements" and directives from doctors to their patients are all over the map. So there isn't any right or wrong answer to this question. You want to eat enough calories to have the energy you need to live life, and not so many calories that you don't lose weight consistently. Of course your doctor also sees the big picture that only can be gained from knowing his patient too.

Exact same as you, timing and loss and everything. I have not had a problem getting 1200 calories a day though, which kind of upsets me. My nut hasn't given me a guideline either. She said she will next visit at 6 weeks. Not sure why :/

I am 9 weeks out and my calorie requirement at this stages is 800 .. At month 5 they want me to be at 1100 cal, if possible . Your doc should have explained to you that there is a progression .. There is no way u can that much after 4 Wes. I probably was 500 -600 calories at that time ..max

Thank you so much everybody for the advice. I too thought it seemed like a little much at this time. I will keep doing what I'm doing for now with a goal to be around 1000-1200 calories eventually. Right now, I'm still losing and don't feel like I need more calories. I will adjust my diet if I start seeing the weight loss slow down or stop. Once again, I really appreciate the advice.

I am 9 weeks out and my calorie requirement at this stages is 800 .. At month 5 they want me to be at 1100 cal, if possible . Your doc should have explained to you that there is a progression .. There is no way u can that much after 4 Wes. I probably was 500 -600 calories at that time ..max

Yes there is lol. I was sleeved 1-16 and have been getting 1200 cal a day. I've lost 40 pounds since my pre-op diet started 1/3. My nut wouldn't give me a guideline as she didn't want me focusing on numbers yet but I wanted to get into the habit of tracking right off the bat so I have been.

I'm 8 weeks out and getting 850-1000 calories a day. My NUT said closer to 800 on days I don't work out and closer to 1000 on days I do. I find that if I don't eat enough calories I stop losing as quickly. I also work out for at least an hour of high intensity cardio five days a week.