Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are we neagative on Lapbandtalk?

Hi All, There is a perception out there on other boards that Lapbandtalk is a site full of negative and depressing people who more often than not have complications with their band because they abuse it.

I think this is so unfair. I have personally found posting on this board to be very valuable in that I have learnt a lot from those who have been banded before me, and I have made some wonderful friends.

I believe a small percentage of people will have complications with their band and it is ligitimate to come here and post to seek help and reassurance. Does that make us negative band abusers?

The intention of this thread was not to bash other boards. I really like the other boards also for the same reason I like this board. I think they all serve a common purpose and they are all terrific in their own way.

I like coming here each day, and it really got to me to hear others downing it here. Each to their own I guess, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion for sure.

What do others think?

Susannah

Susannah, I went over to the other board today and I didn't like the activity level so I cam back here. There are pluses and minuses with every surgery and I like hearing about them. I really like this forum because I feel like I can be myself.

just my 2 cents...

Often when people experience complications of any kind, the first reaction is to blame them for doing something wrong. Something that caused the complication. To many people who haven't experienced complications, this has to be the only answer. (Afterall, they're doing just fine, so it can't be the band or a true medical problem). And a lot of people see their bands as part of themselves, and become defesnive when it comes into negative light. Because of this, there's a quick jump to defenses and blame. This can make it hard for people to share their problems, in hopes of getting help, because they become intimidated or afraid to post what's going on.

I think LBT is very fair about this, but even here you'll notice that we have people who START OFF their post defensively, because they EXPECT the retaliation -- e.g. posters who start with, "I'm going to get flamed for this but..." or who start a note by listing every possible alternative under the sun and what they've already done about it (because the anticipate someone saying, "It's because you haven't done XXX"). I think it's virtually impossible to escape in an online forum and - in particular - an anonymous forum.

Personally, I think LBT is one of the more open board (when it comes to issues like this) out there, whether we're talking about boards specific to LBT or making general statements about boards where people can voice unpopular experiences/opinions/truths.

Hi All, There is a perception out there on other boards that Lapbandtalk is a site full of negative and depressing people who more often than not have complications with their band because they abuse it.

I think this is so unfair. I have personally found posting on this board to be very valuable in that I have learnt a lot from those who have been banded before me, and I have made some wonderful friends.

I believe a small percentage of people will have complications with their band and it is ligitimate to come here and post to seek help and reassurance. Does that make us negative band abusers?

The intention of this thread was not to bash other boards. I really like the other boards also for the same reason I like this board. I think they all serve a common purpose and they are all terrific in their own way.

I like coming here each day, and it really got to me to hear others downing it here. Each to their own I guess, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion for sure.

What do others think?

Susannah

I don't think we are. I love it here, not only can I get good advice, I can have interesting conversations and debates.

This is overall a support group for lap-band patients. For honest posts about our struggles, problems and yes successes. I think that's key. Lapbands do sometimes have complications. People abuse them. I like that here, there are often many different viewpoints on an issue.

I've been to the other board too many, many times. I seem to like this one better because when I post I usually get a response ASAP! Everyone is so willing to help everyone else out-it's a joy and a relief! My thanks to everyone who has helped me out on this site! I appreciate all of you!!!

You know, I didn't even know there was "another" forum! I tried using a forum specifically for Aussie bandsters and found it just wasn't for me. There was a lot of "lets keep this on topic" and that annoyed me that you couldn't really have a joke or post about your life aside form the band. Since then I always just come here. I know I will get honesty and support and really for me, thats what I am looking for.

I agree Jack, I noticed another thread a few minutes ago, asking about a good Lapband book, I found much more support and guidance here than I did in any article or from my doctor's office.

We don't always agree, which is not a bad thing, but I loved the word used above....debate..;).

7 Days post - op and I have utlized this forum over the past 6 weeks to understand what to expect and the pros and cons. Yes, there are some people who have had complications and yes, my band might slip next month or next year. BUT FOR TODAY - I am hopeful that I can live a life free of the starving feeling for the first time ever.

I APPRECIATE THE HONESTY IN THIS FORUM. I only visit Dr Kuri's site because he was my surgeon. FANTASTIC DOCTOR in my opinion.

Just my "THOUGHTS" about this subject. So there

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

I have been lurking for months and months and finally joined a couple of months ago. I think perhaps the perception of negativity can be partially explained by our sensitive souls a this point in our lives as well as the tendency here for some "tough love" and true honesty. I absolutely appreciate that honesty and tough love. It's what so many of us need to wake up and see our goal.

I like LBT, and am very grateful for all of you here, whether we agree or not.

I'll be leaning on all of you a lot harder in (hopefully) a few weeks when I am finally given this wonderful tool, The Band. I look forward to that honesty and tough love.

What do others think?

Susannah

Anytime you add the human eliment to the mix you will always find a variety of emotions. People are people and will say what they will good bad and otherwise.

I have never read anything negative about any other site.

I have seen complications posted and victories and complaints and complements.

I never think it is okay to publically bash any other site.

The more the merrier! We're all on the same journey!

I think that this site helps people to express themselves as, "whole" people, who have something in common....not just, express about what we share, that was or will be, surgically inplanted. I have learned, far more, by seeing both sides of the coin (so to speak).

...Some days I just don't feel like being sickening sweet, when I am feeling like crap or going through alot, I want honest replies. I want to share my true opinions. And, I want to hear peoples true personalities, not fake nice and keep the "bad" stuff under wraps! That's not fair to the learning aspect.

I have given and received, what I believe, to be genuine compliments and support.

I THINK THAT REALITY IS A BALANCE OF POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE- it's just not realistic other wise- I wouldn't want to fear rejection for posting real situations I need to know about, or need help with! LBT is my fave!!!

I have a question....what is "the other site" or are we allowed to say? This forum is what we as a group make of it. It can be fun and full of life, or it can be a sad, full of trial and tribulation place to be....i think all around its pretty good most of the time. I have only been here a short while and have gotten to know a few...it fun, informative and I left a locally run site to come here because it wasn't as fun. Just my humble opinion.....

POPT

Tracey

I think you got to tell it like it is. Its not always going to be sunshine and lollipops. We do abuse our bodies. And I'll probably abuse my band at some point or another, maybe even unintentionally. I don't think that talking about it it when it happens is negative though. I think that talking about it and how to fix it and my problems is a positive thing. Like today I had hot cocoa. Cause I needed something for a good dopamine fix (I had forgotten to take my cymbalta the past several days). I'm not allowed to eat yet. I can't drink liquor yet. So hot cocoa it was. It might have been more than the 200 calories it was probably supposed to be-- I suspect it was a couple hundred calories over. Does that make me an abuser of my band? A rule breaker? I don't know. But I would hate to be afraid to discuss it because it seemed negative.

Kyethra, I drink hot chocolate regularly when I am in a weight-loss mode. It satisfies me. And if I have a tight day, I know the warmth will help the milk to go down. Another yummy replacement is hot vanilla milk. Just heat your milk and add a few drops of vanilla. It is wonderful and adds sweetness without sugar (but no chocolate, either.)

WASAB.B., I really liked what you had to say. When I first came to this board, I was criticized for going to Mexico. I thought that was ridiculous! We read and post for mutual support! Why claw anyone down??

This forum has been a tremendous blessing for me, especially because I have kept my banding private from friends and most family members. This is the only place I can go to get/give help, support, and to find others who are sharing the same experience. I have found wonderful people here!!

I'm new to Lap Band so I don't mind hearing about all experiences - including complications. I've had reflux and didn't know what it was until I read about it here.