Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost 4 weeks post op and I have only lost 14 pounds

I am almost 4 weeks post op and since surgery I have only lost 14 pounds. I started this journey at 241 pounds, 5'4, bmi 41. I managed to get down to 224 on my date of surgery. I did not cheat during my pre op diet and I have tracked everything in my post op diet. From the moment I woke up from surgery I was able to get out of bed and start walking. I did not have any pain or complications so far. I went home from the hospital the next day and started my Clear liquids diet for two weeks. My doctor wants me to make sure and get 64+ ounces of Water a day and 70-100g of Protein a day, also do not exceed 800-900 calories a day. I managed to get these goals by day 4 and have had no problems since. Then at two weeks I was graduated to full liquids. My diet right now looks a lot like this:

Glass of water in the morning (With my Prilosec)

Protein shake - Body Fortress from Walmart with 150 calories and 30g of protein

dannon light greek vanilla yourgert with 80 calories and 12g of protein

Protein Shake - Body Fortress from Walmart with 150 calories and 30g of protein (lunch)

water, water, water all day long

strained creamed Soups of some sort which average 80-100 calories per serving (1/2 cup) and I usually have 2 1/2 servings

I also use Mootopia fat free milk which has 90 calories per cup and depending on how many calories I am up to I will use 1 cup or 1/2 cup in Soup, it also has 12g of protein per cup

Celebration Bariatric Vitamins which comes out to 110 calories a day

So I am really good about staying in my 800-900 calories

The first week after surgery I lost 10 pounds

The second week after surgery I lost 2 pounds

The third week after surgery I did not loose

The fourth week I have lost 2 pounds

I can not exercise until after 6 weeks and I am hoping this makes a huge difference when I start but right now I am really discourged because I want to loose more faster and I am scared that I am not going to loose a significant amount of my weight and be considered a failure. I utilize my fitness pal to track everything. I walk probably a mile each day and yet I am moving slow. I am also hungry a lot more lately which really is hard to fight off. My stomach literally growels. I know it is not the weird noises people talk about because that's what it does when I eat. Any suggestions, feedback, or encouragement is greatly appreciated, I am just feeling low right now about my loss.

Hi there.

I am no alarmed at anything you said - it seems like you're following your doc's plan. It's all good stuff. At week 4 I was at about 18 pounds, so not far from you.

A couple of suggestions for you -

1. Don't compare your weight loss with others - this is hard, I know. Your journey to 241 pounds is different than my journey to 256 pounds. We didn't get here the same way and we're going to lose it differently as well.

2. Take your measurements if you haven't already. I was surprised, really surprised, at the number of inches I lost. I lost inches when I wasn't losing weight according to the scale.

3. Look at your body - really look at it. See HOW you're losing weight. Take pictures of yourself. I can see I'm losing weight differently than before when I would diet. I attribute that to losing FAT.

4. Are you cleared to walk? I was cleared to walk immediately after surgery - nothing strenuous, but walking. I walked a lot.

5. Most importantly, be kind to yourself and your new tummy. We all want to lose faster and are expectations are high. Your body is going to lose weight at it's own pace. All you can control is what you put into your mouth - continue to follow your doctor's plan.

Best of luck to you - hang in there. You're body is going to catch up - I promise.

Thank you so much for your encouragement Mcbutterpants, I really needed that boost of encouragement. I will be attending my first support group meeting next week and I think the encouragement from others will also put me at ease. It helps or is encouraging to hear from others, thanks again. :rolleyes:

Yes! Support groups are important. Networking here is good stuff, too. We're all going thru the same thing and it's great to communicate with people that just like you. While my husband is really supportive, he doesn't understand my food issues and my want to lose weight faster than I am.

You're not alone. I am 12 weeks post op yesterday and I have such a different outlook today than I did at 4 weeks. I feel so much better - physically and mentally. I consider myself a slow loser, but I've come to terms with that. I'm at a lower weight today than I have been in 15 years. That amazes me.

This journey is chalk full of ups and downs - I truly wasn't prepared for the emotional stuff. I was all ready for the surgery and the physical aspects. I have had to address emotional issues with food that I have never addressed before. It's all good stuff, but it's hard.

You're going to do great - you're off to a great start. Just keep working your plan and everything will fall into place.

At seven weeks out I've only lost 14 pounds post op, and that's fine. I only weigh once/week and don't worry too much about it. I'm eating healthy and If it takes a year to get to goal that's fine, too. This is for the rest of my life, so I'm in no hurry to "keep up" with everyone else. And beside the scale, I have the mirror and my baggy clothes and my loose rings to show what a success I am!

As for your growly, hungry tummy, when are you cleared for puréed or soft foods? The liquids go right through your sleeve pretty quickly, so don't help you stay full. Once I transitioned to more solid food I would get very full for 1-2 hours after eating and even had a hard time getting all my liquids in.

Ok, I spoke to my NUT and she said to go ahead and start puréed food today. She said I am right on track and doing everything correctly. Said to wait two more weeks before I can exercise more extensively than walking. I just purred 4.0 ounces of chicken breast and oh my goodness what a difference. After four spoon full I am full. Wow, I feel the restriction now, this is amazing:)

I am so glad to have found this post though I am not sure if anyone else will see it or my reply because it is a post originally from Feb. 2014.

Anyway, I just had to say "thanks" for posting and sharing, this was helpful and encouraging to me as I am 8 days post-op.

@@sunny2day I feel the exact same way. I really expected to lose so much faster. It is discouraging. It is hard not to compare our weight loss with others. I often wondered before I had the surgery "what if I do all this and it still doesn't work". But I have to say, reading others journey is encouraging. Knowing others have stalls or slow wight loss. It definitely helps knowing we're not the only ones. And we will be successful. :)

@@sunny2day I feel the exact same way. I really expected to lose so much faster. It is discouraging. It is hard not to compare our weight loss with others. I often wondered before I had the surgery "what if I do all this and it still doesn't work". But I have to say, reading others journey is encouraging. Knowing others have stalls or slow wight loss. It definitely helps knowing we're not the only ones. And we will be successful. :)

I can totally relate to what you shared. I have been going through the whole mix of emotions and thoughts and fears. It does help to find and read other peoples' journeys.... as you said it is a helpful encouragement and a good reminder that we will get through this with success as others have. =)

I was slow to lose until I started soft foods. Now it's dropping quickly. I would rather lose slow so my skin shrinks with the weight loss and I have less chance of the saggy skin.

I only lost 14 pounds in my first month. I stalled for three weeks. But today I am 8 weeks out from surgery and down 30 pounds since I started my pre-op diet on June 10. So 60 days of losing. I started at 190 and I'm 159.6 pounds today. I'm half way to my goal.

But I know the other half will be the hardest work I'll ever have to do.

Don't see the number see the improvements.

I am almost 4 weeks post op and since surgery I have only lost 14 pounds. I started this journey at 241 pounds, 5'4, bmi 41. I managed to get down to 224 on my date of surgery. I did not cheat during my pre op diet and I have tracked everything in my post op diet. From the moment I woke up from surgery I was able to get out of bed and start walking. I did not have any pain or complications so far. I went home from the hospital the next day and started my Clear liquids diet for two weeks. My doctor wants me to make sure and get 64+ ounces of Water a day and 70-100g of Protein a day, also do not exceed 800-900 calories a day. I managed to get these goals by day 4 and have had no problems since. Then at two weeks I was graduated to full liquids. My diet right now looks a lot like this:

Glass of Water in the morning (With my Prilosec)

Protein shake - Body Fortress from Walmart with 150 calories and 30g of Protein

dannon light greek vanilla yourgert with 80 calories and 12g of protein

Protein Shake - Body Fortress from Walmart with 150 calories and 30g of protein (lunch)

water, water, water all day long

strained creamed Soups of some sort which average 80-100 calories per serving (1/2 cup) and I usually have 2 1/2 servings

I also use Mootopia fat free milk which has 90 calories per cup and depending on how many calories I am up to I will use 1 cup or 1/2 cup in Soup, it also has 12g of protein per cup

Celebration Bariatric Vitamins which comes out to 110 calories a day

So I am really good about staying in my 800-900 calories

The first week after surgery I lost 10 pounds

The second week after surgery I lost 2 pounds

The third week after surgery I did not loose

The fourth week I have lost 2 pounds

I can not exercise until after 6 weeks and I am hoping this makes a huge difference when I start but right now I am really discourged because I want to loose more faster and I am scared that I am not going to loose a significant amount of my weight and be considered a failure. I utilize my fitness pal to track everything. I walk probably a mile each day and yet I am moving slow. I am also hungry a lot more lately which really is hard to fight off. My stomach literally growels. I know it is not the weird noises people talk about because that's what it does when I eat. Any suggestions, feedback, or encouragement is greatly appreciated, I am just feeling low right now about my loss.

I am also in the same boat. Almost 4 weeks since surgery, lost only 14 Pounds. I cannot take any Protein shakes. I am trying to get my protein through pureed chicken , tuna etc.