Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who Drinks soda?

I am curious to know who drinks soda. I have discovered that the answer to this question depends on who you ask. I had lap band surgery on Spet 27th, 2006, and have not had soda since Sept. 26th, 2006. Personally I am doing well, but i still have cravings of a nice ice cold Diet Dr. Pepper. My surgeon told me not to drink pop, but my followup Dr. here in the states told me that there have not been any conclusive studies done that say drinking a diet pop will cause any negative effects on lap band patients. Does anyone have any advice to offer? Do you drink soda? If you do, how much? Or did your Dr. tell you not to drink soda? I look forward to reading the replys!

I drink diet soda probably 2-3 times per week. The only reaction I have is a burping reflex. Sometimes It feels a little bit uncomfortable.

I haven't tried soda but I did have a couple of sips of beer Friday night and boy oh boy I am still paying for that. Its not a fun thing to feel.

My doc says it's fine in moderation and I have about 1 a week and absolutely no problems from it. To each his own I guess.

Not me! I won't drink the stuff and I'm a die hard Diet Coke fan.

Everyone said not to do it. So of course, I had to do it. It's like a wet paint sign. If there is one I have to touch the wall to see it if is *really* wet.

I tried a diet soda and I'll never do it again. It's fine when you have little or no restriction. When you have restriction it's horrible.

Ever pour a beer? See the head it forms? Yeah, that. When carbonated drinks hit your warm stomach it ALL turns to foam. Foam doesn't go through a stoma. Instead you have to wait for each individual bubble to pop while it crawls up your throat.

It isn't fun.

To hell with the notion that it dilates your pouch. The WORST thing it does it climb up your throat and each bubble attempts to gag you and choke you to death. :bolt:

I have been drinking it everyday since a month out of my surgery! No problem at all. I drink Diet pepsi caffine free and I give it a little stir with the spoon to get out some of the fizz. I also drink it from the 2 litter bottle, so it goes flat fast. But I also like it watered down, w/ my ice. My DH always laughs at me. I don't have any problems YET! I have 6cc's in my band. Just some restriction though. Maybe later I won't be able too!

My doc said to not have it so I gave it up and have never looked back. I was addicted to soda and it wasn't good me for so when I made the commitment to change my life, I decided to do without. I really don't even miss it. Once in a while when dh opens one and I hear the fizz and smell it, I have a slight craving but it goes just as quickly as it comes on. To me, it's not worth it.

My doc said to not have it so I gave it up and have never looked back. I was addicted to soda and it wasn't good me for so when I made the commitment to change my life, I decided to do without. I really don't even miss it. Once in a while when dh opens one and I hear the fizz and smell it, I have a slight craving but it goes just as quickly as it comes on. To me, it's not worth it.

I agree, I wouldn't drink it anymore even if I could. Check this out:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=66136

Yale Researchers Weigh The Science On Soft drinks And Health

Yale University researchers have released results of a study showing clearly that soft drinks are associated with increased caloric intake, higher body weight, a decrease in Calcium and other nutrients, and increased risk of Type II diabetes.

The report also noted that studies funded by the food industry were much less likely to show detrimental effects from soft drinks than studies that received no industry funding.

The article analyzed 88 previously published studies obtained through databases such as MEDLINE, PsycINFO and Web of Science.

Soft drink consumption has dramatically increased in the U.S., from an average of 90 eight-ounce servings per person in 1942 to 600 servings in the year 2000. While many states consider legislation to limit soft drink availability in schools, public debate has centered on whether these beverages in themselves pose a significant public health risk.

"It is alarming that industry-funded studies so consistently favor industry and that these reports muddy what are otherwise clear waters," said Kelly D. Brownell, director of the Rudd Center for food Policy and Obesity at Yale. "Studies funded by the food industry simply did not find the degree of negative health effects from soft drinks that independent scholars discovered."

"Individuals and communities need to understand," he continued, "that not all research is created equal and that researchers must ask critical questions about conflict of interest. It is more evident than ever that soft drink reduction must be a priority and that the weak measures introduced by industry to curb soft drink sales in schools should not be considered adequate."

Lenny Vartanian, Marlene Schwartz, and Brownell, authored the study appearing in the April issue of the American Journal of Public Health.

The team found in multiple studies that soft drinks were linked to a greater overall caloric intake, and that people did not appear to compensate for sugared beverages by reducing caloric consumption elsewhere. Some studies even associated soft drink consumption with increased caloric intake beyond the calories from the soft drinks themselves.

The team also found that funding source and study design had a strong impact on findings. Reports of longitudinal or experimental studies were more likely to show negative effects of soft drinks.

"Available data indicate a clear and consistent association between soft drink consumption and increased caloric intake," the article concluded. "Given the multiple sources of calories in a typical diet, it is noteworthy that a single source of energy can have such a substantial impact on caloric intake. This finding alone suggests that it would be prudent to recommend population decreases in soft drink consumption."

American Journal of Public Health 97: 1-10 (March 2007)

I'm with Niecyrenee.

2 weeks out, they want me off sugar to shrink my liver. I'm addicted to Mt. Dew. I've been 3 days without a soda. I don't replace it with diet, because 1. I have never liked the taste of diet sodas 2. It will make me want a real one..

So I've gone cold turkey, and last night I had horrible Migraines. Kept me up most of the night so I made a pot of coffee (strong strong) and had a few sips.. headaches went away. I'm not much of a coffee drinker, but right now as I wean off of cokes, I'm going to do the coffee thing.

Regardless of what it does to my pouch size post-op, I was drinking 6-8 normal Mt. Dews a day which I know is way too much sugar, no need to get back into that!

My doctor told me it was fine to drink diet soda as long as you add a little Water to dilute it a bit but of course, they prefer you drink water.

So I've gone cold turkey, and last night I had horrible Migraines. Kept me up most of the night so I made a pot of coffee (strong strong) and had a few sips.. headaches went away.

Going off caffeine won't give you a true Migraine. If you have a *true* migraine it isn't from a lack of Dew, it's from something else. But giving up caffeine will give you a heck of a headache.

Well, since I don't normally have headaches or Migraines, I assumed they're the same thing. My head was throbbing and my pillow felt like cement. Light was blinding.. and coffee ended it all.

So take it for what you will :D

LauraJ23, I hear you!! I am preop and my consult is next week. I have pretty much given up pop but it has taken me months to get past the headaches.....yuck! I knew I was going to have to so I started early. Yesterday, I drank a regular pepsi and felt like crap about an hour later. It is amazing once you cut stuff like that out, you realize how bad it is for you.

i havent drank a real soda in over two years. i used to drink diet root beer alot, but since being told not to, i havent, and i havent missed it. i didnt give up coffee on purpose, just sorta came along as part of the plan naturally. I do hot tea (pref earl grey) with honey every morning for my eye opener and its groovy.

I dont miss either one.