Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions - Sleeve 2/10/13

I just found out I'm having a sleeve revision in two weeks. Do you feel a difference with your appetite diminish? My band has been empty for two months and I really have felt my appetite increase lately. I think my tummy was swollen from the Fluid and has since finally relaxed and my appetite is through the roof! Also, I getting really nervous after reading on the threads about heart burn, stomach spasms, and acid hunger pains post surgery. If someone could just answer some of these and help calm my butterflies. I'm very excited but super nervous.

I was sleeved in December, not a revision. I take Prilosec everyday and have no problems with heart burn or acid reflux. I have no hunger at all, no stomach spasms, or any other pain. Love the sleeve so far. I have not heard anything good about the band.

everything I have read and heard (and experienced through other people) about the band has not been favorable. I did my research and the sleeve was the best option for me. Even at one of the classes I went to, the instructor had RnY done(10 years ago) and said, if she could do it all over again, she would choose the sleeve; also another one said that if you have 100 pounds or more to lose the band is not for you... I didn't like the idea of it anyway... I've had minimal problems with the sleeve, loving who I am these days!

Hubby and I were sleeved Nov/Dec. 2013. Very minor pain (1 dose pain med at home after sleeving, no acid reflux, no heartburn, no spasms, no hunger pangs. Within a few days hardly felt as if we had surgery. We take Omeprazole only I think to prevent an ulcer. Biggest problem? Little burps that tell you when to stop eating LOL! Best wishes. We bypassed all WLS for 10 years til we could have the sleeve. The band stories really scare me. I know there are thousands of success stories, but even so many revisions..... Just so happy with the sleeve. Our only regret is that we did not have it before our health worsened.

Edited by LindafromFlorida

lapnicky,

Congratulations. I can't speak to the lap to sleeve revision but my experience has been positive with my sleeve. I will tell you the gas pain after surgery was probably the most difficult thing for me to deal with. I listened to the advice posted here. Sip, walk, sip, walk, sip, walk........................Before I could sip liquids, in my case, it was get up, pee, walk, pee, rest, get up, pee, walk, pee, rest...........................Then when I had my leak test and could sip it was sip, sip, sip, get up, pee, walk, pee, set back down or lay down, sip, sip, sip, rest, sip, sip, sip, get up, pee, walk, pee, set back down or lay down, sip, sip, sip, rest, get up, pee, walk, pee..................

Glad I did all that sipping, peeing and walking because once the gas pain was gone, with the pain meds I had-it wasn't that bad.

I was very fortunate in that the surgeon I had allowed for a patient controlled pain system. I'd push the button and I was good to go ; ) My surgeon also gave me drugs to prevent nausea and I didn't have any. I think I was one of the lucky ones who didn't react to the anesthesia, drugs or strong pain meds they gave me.

Everyone is different in their reactions to the trauma of the surgery, anesthesia, drugs, and pain meds.

I hope you are one of the lucky ones too and have a smooth surgery and an easy recovery.

Blessings,

Kathleen

I had revision on 12/9/13 and I did have a little acid issue post surgery (only when I moved on to puréed foods), but a simple med change from prescription Pepcid (20mg) to Prilosec OTC handled it. Very happy with the sleeve so far. Good Luck.

I had my revision 1/13/14. Not much pain. The only acid issue I had was the day after surgery. Doc said the stomach is very swollen and there is no place for the acid to go. Once the swelling goes down, it gets better.

I am on acid blocker for 10 days and have had no more trouble with acid now. I forgot to take them one day, and had no problems.

It is much better than the band. I had mine for 10 years, and what a joke. That band caused me nothing but problems. So far, sleeve is great...

I was sleeved in November, not a revision. I take Prilosec every day and have no problems with heart burn or acid reflux. I have some hunger, but nothing like the intensity I had for years before surgery, and now I can either ignore it (which I could rarely do pre-op) or I can satisfy it with significantly less food. And since I'm now in the habit of dense-protein-first, I'm a whole lot more likely to make wise food choices. I've had no stomach spasms, and once my incisions stopped bothering me (which was about a week after surgery) I haven't had any other pain whatsoever.

The best part, though, is the safety net aspect of the sleeve: When I eventually do give in to a craving and eat until I'm stuffed -- and I'm sure it will happen eventually -- my sleeve will limit the damage I can do in one sitting. I won't be ABLE to eat the entire package of Oreos at one go, ever again! Yippeeee!

Then there are the NSVs: I'm off insulin, not taking any meds for my type II diabetes now. I'm off my BP med. I no longer need a daily NSAID for my OA and it's not because I'm just putting up with the discomfort - it is GONE! I'm no longer too warm all the time; I've changed the thermostat in my house from 70 to 73 degrees. I could go on re smaller clothes, etc., but you get the idea.

I Love My Sleeve! And I love the suport I get on this forum! Thank you one and all.

JeanZ, so proud for you. I am off Metformin, 1 BP med, and Lyrica for neuropathy. Hoping my husband will one day be off insulin. Sounds like you are doing great. Keep up the good work!

Thanks guys for all of the honest opinions on how things were for you days after the sleeve. I'm feeling better already and getting more excited with less worry.

I just found out I'm having a sleeve revision in two weeks. Do you feel a difference with your appetite diminish? My band has been empty for two months and I really have felt my appetite increase lately. I think my tummy was swollen from the Fluid and has since finally relaxed and my appetite is through the roof! Also, I getting really nervous after reading on the threads about heart burn, stomach spasms, and acid hunger pains post surgery. If someone could just answer some of these and help calm my butterflies. I'm very excited but super nervous.

I had surgery in Monday. I am taking prevacid and nexium since Wednesday. In between I had a gnawing pain like hunger but more intense. That has gone away with the meds. I am sure that is what you are hearing about. There is no reason to suffer with it though. If your doc doesn't perscribe it just buy otc products to take on a regular schedule. Don't wait for symptoms to appear before treating. These drugs must build up in your system to work properly. As for hunger.... none!! The commercials that used to make me drool have no effect now! You will do great. I am doing fantastic, and I am the biggest baby in the world! Lol. This site has been a lifesaver! You can ask anything without embarrassment or feeling dumb. Everyone is wonderful and understands because they are just like you!!