Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My 600 Pound Life

"My 600 Pound Life" on TLC is my current guilty pleasure. I think I have watched parts of the show before in the past but now that I am getting ready for my sleeve surgery the show makes much more sense now. I am nowhere near 600 pounds, halfway there so I'm proactively stopping the weight gain madness. I've tried to watch as many episodes as I could find on Netflix and the Internet, I still have not seen any with guys at this point. I did find on Netflix, "The World's Fattest Man" which was a little disappointing because they dragged out the pre-surgery process to the very end and basically with only a few minutes left he has the surgery. I was thinking were they actually going to show this guy die. Fortunately he survived and he is doing well according to the Internet.

Another show I have found recently was on HBO called "The Weight of the Nation". That show is more geared towards the entire weight loss industry and obesity crisis in America. It's a little long-winded but informative. I find watching these shows are therapeutic and help make this process a little more real as I complete my required steps to surgery.

yes i watch 600 pound life also

i feel that could have also easily been me......

watching it makes me sad.....i dont pity them...

i only wish they find what i did 19 months ago..life

I agree with everything you said. I watched that show the other night and thought that could be me. My knee surgery was unsuccessful and I can't walk without a cane it is so painful. If I didn't get surgery next year I would have gained another 60 pounds. I look at it this way. food in one hand and my life in the other. I choose my life. I became a grandmother for the first time 2 1/2 months ago and I want to enjoy him. I don't want to be the heavy lady on the bench holding her cane while everyone else has fun.

I haven't found any desire to watch those shows post-op. I used to watch them religiously pre-op. I was always hoping for that miracle cure that would rid me of my fat. But I never really believed that WLS would really work for me. I had to get to a very low point in my life before I took the plunge and committed to WLS. I only wish I had this surgery in my 20's instead of my 40's.

Yes i watched it.. Sadly to say most of them regained the weight if i remember correctly. Im pretty sure I am correct on this. The went back to old habits,

Chris

Yes i watched it.. Sadly to say most of them regained the weight if i remember correctly. Im pretty sure I am correct on this. The went back to old habits,

Chris

Really? That's terrible to hear that. I'd love to know more about how that happened. I'll have to try to find that. Do you have a link or something so I can read about it?

I have seen folks on "The Biggest Loser" gain the weight back, that's one of the reason I have determined WLS surgery is probably my best option because it's not as easy to fall back into bad habits (dumping syndrome, etc). I have also decided to make a psychologist part of my transformation to make sure I cover both mind and body.

I DVRd them all when they re-ran season 1 just prior to season 2 starting, and have watched them all. I was very happy that the one from last Tuesday had a patient who underwent a lap band conversion VSG, as all the others have been bypass.

While I've been disappointed that some of them have regained their weight, I think the beauty of the show is that it isn't 'just' the surgical side if it. They make a point to show the trials and tribulations on theses patients' journeys. It becomes really apparent how their environment and habits have just an effect on their outcomes.

The first season followed them over the course of 7 years. This season only watches them for one year.

To me, I take their stories as a learning experience. It helps to reaffirm what I will be doing right, and what to avoid.

I posted this on another thread. Don't know whether it'll work (as it's in the UK and might block US internet), but it's a link to a couple of UK channels which are doing My 600lb Life on Demand, Fat Surgeons and other weight related programs.

http://really.uktv.co.uk/shows/my-600lb-life/

http://really.uktv.co.uk/shows/fat-surgeons/

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/my-baggy-body/episode-guide

I figured out a few months ago how to hack my Google Chrome browser to allow me to watch shows and access websites as if I was in the home country of that website. I really like it that I can see stuff on Netflix before they come out here in the U.S. This stuff is always very interesting to watch. The doctor on Fat Surgeons was the surgeon on that episode of "World's Fattest Man" which was something we watched on Netflix last week. Thanks for the links.

Did anyone see Penny tonight on that show...she was not serious at the surgery at all...I think she should have waited because I could tell after 10 mins that she wasn't taking this seriously...SAD

SPOILERS :o It's on the DVR. I'll be watching in a little bit.

I've been hooked on "Fat Surgeons", there are like 20 episodes. I've gone through 4 of them at this point and they are pretty graphic during the surgery portion. I think if I watch a few more I could perform a gastric bypass myself.

If you are in the UK the link will just work, and you register with the website.

In the US it gets a little more complicated.

Step 1: download the web browser Google Crome

Step 2: Go to Hola.org to download the Google Crome tool called Hola

Step 3: Set your location on Hola (the smiling flame next to the URL bar) to the UK

Step 4: Go to the website below and it will ask you to register with the site and it should work

http://really.uktv.co.uk/shows/fat-surgeons/watch-online/

Oh, BTW, the episode tonight of 600 PL, "Penny's Story" was quite a show. I felt so bad for her husband and kid. I'll wait to share more details after it airs on the west coast.

I barely made it through the whole episode. This had to be the most frustrating one for me to watch. It did allow me to understand the argument for why some doctors and/or insurance companies require a pysch eval though. She obviously had some pretty deep emotional things that needed to be worked out prior to her procedure.