Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

have a question for you all. I had the lapband back in 2010 and had to have it removed in 2011 and so I just recently decided to have gastric bypass, but when I went to my doctor he gave me the option of having the gastric sleeve, I am not sure which is the better option for me. I want to see if anyone out there has had one of the other and can tell me what they are happy about and why they had one or the other?

have a question for you all. I had the lapband back in 2010 and had to have it removed in 2011 and so I just recently decided to have gastric bypass, but when I went to my doctor he gave me the option of having the gastric sleeve, I am not sure which is the better option for me. I want to see if anyone out there has had one of the other and can tell me what they are happy about and why they had one or the other?

I was sleeved last year at 50 years old. Both gastric bypass and the sleeve were explained to me with bypass being the procedure longest in use and with the greater resulting weight loss. The downside was the possibility of dumping, the malabsorbtion issues, and just too much reworking of my innards to gain only a slight advantage in weight loss. I'm happy with my decision and my surgeons are pleased with my progress.

Wow Don, in 7 months you have lost 184 lbs. with the sleeve? That is awesome!!! Congrats on that!!! See I have been doing a lot of research on this and the pros and cons of each compared to each other, and the dumping doesn't necessarily happen to everyone, and as for the malabsorbtion issues, I can handle taking a few more supplements, but the rerouting of the intestines is what helps with not taking in so many calories? When I went to see my surgeon today he did push on the sleeve, but ultimately it's up to me and I am a little scared about the actual surgery of the bypass than the sleeve but still not sure??? I would love to know how people feel about the bypass too?? I am still up in the air I guess!!!

I was sleeved last year at 50 years old. Both gastric bypass and the sleeve were explained to me with bypass being the procedure longest in use and with the greater resulting weight loss. The downside was the possibility of dumping, the malabsorbtion issues, and just too much reworking of my innards to gain only a slight advantage in weight loss. I'm happy with my decision and my surgeons are pleased with my progress.

I have the sleeve and I love it. For me, the sleeve seemed less extreme and more footing with. Y medical and food choices because I can still take ibuprofen and eat a wider variety of foods including fruit with the peel. Although I have to confess I don't care for fruit peels on most fruits post sleeve.

I suggest you look in the subgroups for band to sleeve and band to bypass to find people who have had the procedures you're considering. I know there are several successful band to sleevers because I follow the sleeve forums. I am sure there are also successful band to bypasses out there too.

Lynda

Both surgeries are safe and effective. Doctors usually recommend bypass over sleeve for patients that have GERD. Sleeve is considered less invasive. Sleeve has a slightly lower complication rate and slightly shorter recovery time. Bypass is generally regarded as more effective in resolving diabetes. Average total weight lost is slightly higher with the bypass than the sleeve. Bypass has a much longer track record (well over 30 years) so there are more clinical studies and the resulting statistical information.

When all is said, perhaps the best advice is first do the research. There is a LOT of information comparing the two surgeries. But there is also a lot of misinformation as well so choose your sources carefully. Harvard, WebMD, National Institutes of Health, mayo Clinic - all excellent sources. You may discover information that will result in your leaning one way or the other. Either way it's important to keep an open mind.

Second, and most importantly, discuss the options with your surgeon. Make a list of questions from your research and take as much time as necessary to get comfortable with the answers. He/she may recommend one surgery over the other based on comorbidities and other health considerations. Or in the absence of any medical reasons tipping the scale one way or the other, your surgeon may leave the decision up to you (mine did).

Whatever the decision turns out to be - you're gonna love the new you!!

Wow Don, in 7 months you have lost 184 lbs. with the sleeve? That is awesome!!! Congrats on that!!! See I have been doing a lot of research on this and the pros and cons of each compared to each other, and the dumping doesn't necessarily happen to everyone, and as for the malabsorbtion issues, I can handle taking a few more supplements, but the rerouting of the intestines is what helps with not taking in so many calories? When I went to see my surgeon today he did push on the sleeve, but ultimately it's up to me and I am a little scared about the actual surgery of the bypass than the sleeve but still not sure??? I would love to know how people feel about the bypass too?? I am still up in the air I guess!!!

So i don't misrepresent myself, 50 of that 184 was preop! :lol:

You're right about the dumping, not everyone experiences it. You're doing the right thing, keep researching and asking questions.

How do I feel about my bypass? Type 2 diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, back and knee joint pain, and 130 lbs - all gone. So I reckon I would have to say unequivocally that I feel great about my bypass. I'd do it again in a second. But there absolutely are many, many sleeve patients that would say the same or similar things about the sleeve.

if you're comfortable discussing them, I sure many folks would be interested in the reasons your doctor gave for recommending the sleeve vs. the bypass.

Have a great day!

DL, I saw your results after your first post, and I think that is amazing!!! Great job!!! I really appreciate your help in this, I do feel like I am leaning towards the bypass as I have many of the same issues you just discussed and I have since I was 16 and I just want to be at a healthy weight and point in my life. I like the idea of the bypass and I have a few people in my life that have had the bypass and say nothing but great things about it. My Surgeon just kept pushing the sleeve cause it's non evasive and because if you feel like the sleeve isn't working for you, you could always go and have the bypass still, but I don't want to keep having surgeries???? You know what I mean?

How do I feel about my bypass? Type 2 diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, back and knee joint pain, and 130 lbs - all gone. So I reckon I would have to say unequivocally that I feel great about my bypass. I'd do it again in a second. But there absolutely are many, many sleeve patients that would say the same or similar things about the sleeve.

if you're comfortable discussing them, I sure many folks would be interested in the reasons your doctor gave for recommending the sleeve vs. the bypass.

Have a great day!

Thanks so much Tina! I'm most certainly not a doctor or any kind of healthcare professional. And I had the bypass which by definition means that I am not a completely unbiased source. But I'm a little surprised that the only reason that your surgeon favors the sleeve is because it is less invasive. I have done a considerable amount of research over the last two and a half years and continue to do so to this day. There is no doubt that the sleeve is medically less invasive. But that is only one consideration in an obviously important decision. Success rates in resolving type 2 diabetes, hypertension and sleep apnea are important. As are minor and major complication rates and averages for total weight loss for both surgeries.

Sleeve to bypass conversions are not uncommon but a second surgery is obviously not an ideal option. What is the percentage of sleeve to bypass conversions and what are the reasons those revisions become necessary? What percentage of revisions has your surgeon done and how does that number compare to national averages? Are the surgeon's office and the hospital bariatric centers of excellence? I don't mean to be cynical but in the context you have shared, it also raises the question of the how much the surgeon's recommendation may (or may not) be influenced by the financial advantage to him/her of two surgeries vs. one.

Again, there are many, many success stories following the sleeve. But you may want to consider getting answers to some of these questions and possibly even a second opinion before making your decision. Please keep us posted and don't hesitate to share your questions and concerns. We're here for you!

Thanks so much Tina! I'm most certainly not a doctor or any kind of healthcare professional. And I had the bypass which by definition means that I am not a completely unbiased source. But I'm a little surprised that the only reason that your surgeon favors the sleeve is because it is less invasive. I have done a considerable amount of research over the last two and a half years and continue to do so to this day. There is no doubt that the sleeve is medically less invasive. But that is only one consideration in an obviously important decision. Success rates in resolving type 2 diabetes, hypertension and sleep apnea are important. As are minor and major complication rates and averages for total weight loss for both surgeries.

Sleeve to bypass conversions are not uncommon but a second surgery is obviously not an ideal option. What is the percentage of sleeve to bypass conversions and what are the reasons those revisions become necessary? What percentage of revisions has your surgeon done and how does that number compare to national averages? Are the surgeon's office and the hospital bariatric centers of excellence? I don't mean to be cynical but in the context you have shared, it also raises the question of the how much the surgeon's recommendation may (or may not) be influenced by the financial advantage to him/her of two surgeries vs. one.

Again, there are many, many success stories following the sleeve. But you may want to consider getting answers to some of these questions and possibly even a second opinion before making your decision. Please keep us posted and don't hesitate to share your questions and concerns. We're here for you!

Thanks DL as I have been doing a ton ofresearch also I found that bypass is the route for me!!! I have spoke to 2 other doctors and both say its really up to me as my surgeon has also said it was totally my decision but they say that the sleeve is just less invasive and it works? My surgeon is a bariatric surgeon and works with a hospital that does these very often!! Im not sure about his averages but I know he does a ton of them and he is a great doctor!!! I am happy with him I just want to know the difference between the two???

Good for you! It is so important to have confidence in your surgeon. Sounds to me like you're ready!!

FYI the sleeve resolved my type 2 diabetes. I am 8 months post-op and have a non-diabetic A1C. I am actually sitting in the doctor office right now having the two hour glucose tolerance test to prove I don't have diabetes anymore and take it off my record. I have not had a glucose reading over 4.8 since I woke up from surgery, have not had to take metformin. Mostly my glucose readings are around 4.2 now. That is mmol/l but I think it is around 80 mg/dl (the system used in the US). These are non-diabetic numbers.

One downside to RNY is the part of the stomach left behind is very prone to stretching. Several years out many RNY patients can eat a normal sized meal. Of course the sleeve doesn't have a lot of data about patients more than 10 years out.

They are both good surgeries. You need to research the hell out of it and make a choice you are comfortable with. None of us can or should try to make up your mind for you.

FYI the sleeve resolved my type 2 diabetes. I am 8 months post-op and have a non-diabetic A1C. I am actually sitting in the doctor office right now having the two hour glucose tolerance test to prove I don't have diabetes anymore and take it off my record. I have not had a glucose reading over 4.8 since I woke up from surgery, have not had to take metformin. Mostly my glucose readings are around 4.2 now. That is mmol/l but I think it is around 80 mg/dl (the system used in the US). These are non-diabetic numbers.

One downside to RNY is the part of the stomach left behind is very prone to stretching. Several years out many RNY patients can eat a normal sized meal. Of course the sleeve doesn't have a lot of data about patients more than 10 years out.

They are both good surgeries. You need to research the hell out of it and make a choice you are comfortable with. None of us can or should try to make up your mind for you.

Hi misty, thanks for the advice, my reason for bypass isn't for the diabetes my reason is more for gurd. I have it horribly and I spoke to my doctor about it and he said that with the sleeve its still possible that the gurd will still be there but with the bypass its more likely to go away and plus the weight loss percentages with the bypass too.

Good for you! It is so important to have confidence in your surgeon. Sounds to me like you're ready!!

Thanks DL I am excited to get to it!!

I have the sleeve and as of today have lost 105 pound in 9 months. I am very happy with my decision. I have not a single complication and can eat any food with no problems. Good luck in your decision and you step forward to a healthier life :)