Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am so happy to be on this journey to a healthier me! RNY on Nov 18th...lost 45# as of today. My question is how do we get past the stalls I have had . My surgeon says NO WORRIES..be patient. It is normal to have them at one month and 6 weeks out. Your body is learning to adjust. Yes, I did move past both of these now but the first one lasted 2 weeks. Anyone know a trick to help move past it? Please share for us Newbies following your vast knowledge we search for! Thanks ,Dyan from Toledo area in Ohio

Hi I too am from the Toledo, Ohio area. I am at 6 months post op. I have had several stalls lasting that long also. What helped me was to go back to two shakes a day (making sure I got the full Protein I was supposed to). Exercise (I stopped a couple of times due to being busy and also I have broke two toes since the surgery and I have an old foot injury that acts up). I also made sure I was getting my Water intake too. I too have Dr. White as my surgeon

Edited by kristenleigh435

It is very difficult if not impossible to know if a stall ends because it had run it's course or because of something that you did. There's nothing wrong with trying some of the solutions that folks will offer you but consider an alternative - follow your plan. No matter what. Regardless of what your weight is doing, follow your plan. Rapid weight loss, follow your plan. Slow weight loss, follow your plan. No weight loss, follow your plan. If it helps, here's my plan:

1. Stay positive.
  2. Stay patient.
  3. Stay focused on following the protocol as closely to the letter as you possibly can.
  4. Maintain a food log.

I know it sounds simplistic but if you follow your plan, no matter what, you will find that the whole process is so much less stressful and the weight will take care of itself. Trust the process and let your body find its own way in its own time.

You're gonna love the new you!!

I am so happy to be on this journey to a healthier me! RNY on Nov 18th...lost 45# as of today. My question is how do we get past the stalls I have had . My surgeon says NO WORRIES..be patient. It is normal to have them at one month and 6 weeks out. Your body is learning to adjust. Yes, I did move past both of these now but the first one lasted 2 weeks. Anyone know a trick to help move past it? Please share for us Newbies following your vast knowledge we search for! Thanks ,Dyan from Toledo area in Ohio

Wow 45lbs thats great I had my surgery 11/19/13 an I've only lost 30lbs I started exercising bout 2 weeks ago joined gym I've stalled couple times even gain couple pounds wen I started gym now thats coming off im so upset n sad I was losing 2 lbs a day after surgery now its awful just trying to lose a pound im losing inches tho I tjink by clothes down from 22 to a 18 an from 3x to 1 x extra large but the scale is depressing me so much I get protien n fluids not eating much or bad dont understand an my stomach makes this feeling of hunger n I thought we weren't suppose to feel hungry for long time out

Hi

Dyan,

I too have experienced the 2 week stall and am going through another stall right now. I found the best way for me was to increase the Protein and fluids. I've been getting little to no Protein lately because of my food struggles but have made my first Protein Drink already this morning. Just have to force myself to drink it.

Edited by sherryb

HI Dyan,

I admit it has been fun watching the pounds melt off every week. I have averaged 5 pounds a week. I am sure by now my "honeymoon" period is over. I haven't had a stall yet, so we will see how I feel when I hit one, but until then I am going to start focusing on my decreasing my body fat percentage. If I start gaining weight, but and decreasing my body fat percentage, then I can live with that. I am also going to stop weighing myself every week. (I have been a bit obsessed with that.) Best of luck to you!!

Edited by trever

thanks to all you that replied... just have to be patient... I am sure it will move downward again since I am right on tract with Doctors plan.

Look at that.... 3 patients of Dr. White (including myself)!

No input on subject, just wanted to point out that we have same Dr. :)

I am almost 8 months post op and have been in a stall as well for awhile. The weight loss has always been fairly consistent except for a few stalls, and usually by now I break it. No matter how positive I am, it does get to me, like it has today! :) Sometimes it doesn't matter how right you do things; our bodies will sometimes do what they want! LOL

We WILL get through it. Hang strong!

Your all right about the stalls.. They just kinda do what they want no matter what! My nut ( Shannon to the three of us lol) told me to put my scale in the trunk of my car!! She was right AGAIN... I am now down 51# and 19" since RNY on Nov 18th... Just need to remember to be patient and trust Dr Whites plan.. It works!! Hope your all doing great and hope to see you at the Feb support meeting!

Your all right about the stalls.. They just kinda do what they want no matter what! My nut ( Shannon to the three of us lol) told me to put my scale in the trunk of my car!! She was right AGAIN... I am now down 51# and 19" since RNY on Nov 18th... Just need to remember to be patient and trust Dr Whites plan.. It works!! Hope your all doing great and hope to see you at the Feb support meeting!

Congrats! You are doing great!

I will definitely be there at Feb Support Group meeting! Unless of course some freak storm hits us and it is illegal to drive. I mean that would never happen right??? Lol.

Can it be considered a stall if it is only a few days?

They say that even if the scale isn't moving, the inches will still drop. Don't know how that can be but it's true!

A few days is probably too early to "call" it a stall but perhaps that really isn't important. Follow your plan. Regardless of what your weight is doing. Rapid weight loss - follow your plan. Slow weight loss - follow your plan. Weight stubbornly refusing to move - follow your plan. Trust the process and allow your body to find its own way in its own time. There is not a bariatric team in the world that recommends stress and worry as a weight loss tool. Your journey will be so much easier and so much less stressful if you do everything you can to focus all of your attention on one thing - follow your plan.

A few days is probably too early to "call" it a stall but perhaps that really isn't important. Follow your plan. Regardless of what your weight is doing. Rapid weight loss - follow your plan. Slow weight loss - follow your plan. Weight stubbornly refusing to move - follow your plan. Trust the process and allow your body to find its own way in its own time. There is not a bariatric team in the world that recommends stress and worry as a weight loss tool. Your journey will be so much easier and so much less stressful if you do everything you can to focus all of your attention on one thing - follow your plan.

You make a great point. What is a stall? Is it not losing any weight for a day, a week, a month? It is such a relative term. For me I consider my self in a stall if I go more than two weeks without the scale moving but doing everything right. I'm curious what others define a stall as because I have seen people who didn't lose every day say they are in a stall but I don't agree. Frankly even my two week rule is arbitrary and probably not close to a scientific explanation.