Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Don't be surprised!

Not everyone will be happy for you when you tell them of your plans to be sleeved, so please DON'T BE SURPRISED when they act out. I don't regret telling anyone that I've told because it is actually helping me to weed out the bad seeds. I have one "friend" who is now passively picking at every other thing that I've shared with her that I have insecurities about. I'm not sweating it, she's just doing me a favor by showing me who she really is. I think in some people's small minds they're just looking at it like, "oh crap, she's gonna be skinnier/better looking than me," when in fact I'm doing this to be healthier and to literally save my own life. Oh well, in the end, she will see much, much less of me...figuratively and literally:)

You think like me, SandeeD. I used my surgery to test people, see what they are made of, friends and strangers. My friends, I am glad to say, came through with loyalty and understanding.

I told the strangers because of a morbid curiosity I have about the nature of people who attack what they don't understand. They didn't disappoint me either. :D

Gmanbat, I'm hoping just maybe I'm being overyly sensitive. I have to remind myself that most times other people's behavior has nothing to do with me, they're dealing with their own demons.

Not everyone will be happy for you when you tell them of your plans to be sleeved, so please DON'T BE SURPRISED when they act out. I don't regret telling anyone that I've told because it is actually helping me to weed out the bad seeds. I have one "friend" who is now passively picking at every other thing that I've shared with her that I have insecurities about. I'm not sweating it, she's just doing me a favor by showing me who she really is. I think in some people's small minds they're just looking at it like, "oh crap, she's gonna be skinnier/better looking than me," when in fact I'm doing this to be healthier and to literally save my own life. Oh well, in the end, she will see much, much less of me...figuratively and literally:)

It's sad that "friends" cannot support each other! You're right..it's hard sometimes but it's always best to cut the ties to certain friendships/relationships.

One of my sisters won't make a single comment one way or the other. Think she might be jealous!

I mentioned this to 2 of my co-workers and they talked about all the people they know who died from Gastric Bypass. So, I told them I wouldn't do it. I immediately started feeling discouraged. I have a sister who is supportive of me and a friend. Sometimes, I feel as if I could get approved for a panniculectomy, I will skip weight loss surgery. When I was pregnant with my twins 20 years ago, the lower part of my stomach was messed up which is called the pannus. I do pray and make sure this is the right thing to do and yet I am positive that loosing weight will benefit me in the short and long run. Being over weight hurts the entire body and mind.

Anew74, you absolutely have to decide that you are doing this for YOU and not anyone else. At the end of the day, no one is walking in our shoes and has to experience what we experience from being overweight. IT'S A PERSONAL CHOICE. If you have really made up your mind to do it for YOU, don't let other people's words shake you. Remember, everyone has their own demons, and don't let THEIR fears and insecurities become yours.

Anew74, my sister in law got discouraged by her co workers too. While they may mean well, the decision is yours. Every surgery carries risks...for example, I just had a patient a few weeks ago develop major complications from a pretty routine operation that is performed on an outpatient basis.

It may help to visit a seminar do you can hear first hand from the surgeon or their staff. They usually mention their personal statistics about their success rates.

Edited by nursekimberly89

There is nothing to fear but fear itself...

Thanks Ladies, I agree with you. I am doing this to become healthier. No one else influences what I need to do. With that in mind, I will stay focused. Once again, Thanks..

It's sad that "friends" cannot support each other! You're right..it's hard sometimes but it's always best to cut the ties to certain friendships/relationships.

i don't plan on testing anyone,I'm not into telling my business anyway so this won't be an exception.... Ppl are a trip!

You knoe, the people who have been most supportive are the healthy fit people in my life. Many of the ones who are obese are the ones who have flat out been negative. I think part of it is that they have done some research themselves and have found reasons why NOT to do it for themselves, and try to push those reasons on to me. But I've done my research, too. And I'm not backing down that easily.

And SandeeD! Congrats on your approval!!

Thanks lady!:)

And SandeeD! Congrats on your approval!!