Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Greetings all!!!! (Long, sorry in advance, I'm a rambler)

I've been browsing the site for a while, and figured it was about time to register and do the obligatory "Hello" post.

I'm a 34 year old guy living in Central Texas. I've struggled with weight my entire life, becoming pretty obvious once I entered my early teens and progressively getting worse. I managed my emotions fairly well, (thanks in large part to my mother, who as a single parent did a great job trying everything she could). As the years went by, my weight continued to climb. I have been luckier than some, and my highest has 'only' been ~330, and I am currently at ~274. Like most of us, I've tried various diets and exercise programs. Even my co-workers have taken me out to workout with them. (I'm a civilian employee assigned as a researcher in a law enforcement agency SWAT unit, so needless to say they almost killed me, haha). While I was thrilled with the support, I always hit my same road blocks, followed by going back up.

I finally decided it was time for a change in my life. I'm facing a double fusion at my L4-L5 & L5-S1 due to disc degeneration, likely due in large part to my weight and posture. I also have mild blood pressure issues, NASH (Fatty Liver Disease), and Triglycerides up over 450. Unrelated to my weight, I also get to deal with Crohn's disease, (Yay for being one of the 5% of fat Crohnies, lol). I just had one of those 'Heartsaver CT' scans, and learned I have Calcium in my arteries, despite only being in my 30s. That was the last straw.

Despite having decent insurance, our plan excludes ANY bariatric procedures for ANY reason, so I knew I was on my own. After a LOT of research, I have chosen to go with Mexico Bariatric Center, and am scheduled for a VSG with Dr Cabrerra (primary) and Dr Altamirano (assisting) on January 27th. One month ago to this day. I am extremely nervous about doing it, but comfortable with my choice of surgeons. I was pleased that my gastroenterologist doctor who cares for my liver and Crohn's is on board, (though she is worried about Mexico, she completely understands why I am going this route).

I decided to make the best of it, and am flying in to San Diego the Saturday before and spending a night at the gorgeous Manchester Grand Hyatt before being picked up by them on Sunday to take me down to TJ to get checked into their Marriott. When I'm done, I'm staying an extra two days, (Fri and Sat night), back at the same Grant Hyatt. I'm a SD native, so it'll be nice to be able to walk around at Seaport Village and see the USS Midway museum after being away since 1998 when I moved out here. My mother is going with my as my 'go-to person', and we are even treating ourselves to First Class on the flight. Have only done that once in my life a long time ago, (mainly cause it's just way to expensive), but dangit, I'm going to have some fun on this trip. Afterall, it's the start of my new life!

Welp, after that wall of text, thanks to everyone on the site. I've learned a lot, and continue to each time I browse the forums. I'm sure I'll be around a lot as the next month gets closer, and even more so once I'm post-op and likely have even more questions.

-MadB

Welcome!!!!

Here's hoping all goes well for you in TJ. I have been there during my time in SD when in the navy...at least I am pretty sure I was there. :D

There are lots of Mexico surgery sleevers here....make yourself at home!

Congratulations on making this life-saving decision. Stay with the forum as long as you can...the folks here have helped me cope with the particulars of this surgery and our recovery. I am 4 days post op, so I can tell you that the best two things I put in my bag were Chapstick and a nail clipper.

Please keep in touch with us. It takes a village to get us all started on our journey to Healthy.

Welcome to the madness and the best of luck for your surgery.

Nice touch on the first class, btw... You'll be grateful for that ;)

Welcome, MadB!! I am kind of a newbie as well, just had VSG in early December. I love this site and all it has to offer. Happy losing :)

Welcome! I am a newbie too, having had my vsg on 12/17. I love the idea of first class! I am hoping to find some support, friends, and great information here.

Welcome...I'm right behind you I'm scheduled for 1/29!! This site has been amazing...it's super encouraging to see all the tremendous success! I can't wait for this time next year!!

Welcome to the club! You'll have lots of questions and this is the place to get them answered. Congrats on your decision and best of luck to you.