Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Debating sugery

I am a 34 yr. old male that is unfortunately (in my opinion) grossly over weight. I am 5'7" an 315lbs. I know what fitness is due to being prior service but because of injuries I cannot be as active as I want to be. I have been thinking about surgery for almost 2 years now. I know it is a life altering event in many ways, I just kinda feel that maybe I am to young for this. Also after the recovery period how active can someone be? Just trying to find answers. Anyone have any?

<p>I am a 34 yr. old male that is unfortunately (in my opinion) grossly over weight. I am 5'7" an 315lbs. I know what fitness is due to being prior service but because of injuries I cannot be as active as I want to be. I have been thinking about surgery for almost 2 years now. I know it is a life altering event in many ways, I just kinda feel that maybe I am to young for this. Also after the recovery period how active can someone be? Just trying to find answers. Anyone have any?</p>

Hello I'm 35yrs old and I'm 10 days post op and I tell you it was the best decision. SW 365 CW 347.

I'm 39 and just had the surgery last month. Had a lot of similar questions and got some great feedback from this site -- see this thread...

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/285613-on-the-fence-for-surgery/

Honestly, I wish I hadn't waited this long. The surgery for me was 2 or 3 days of tough recovery and then it was basically smooth sailing. Yes, there's some risk with any surgery, but when you look at the stats, it's way more dangerous walking around 100+ pounds overweight. Keep researching and asking questions. Good luck.

Too young? No way! I wish I did this in my 30's! I went back to work on post op day 10 and by 6 weeks I was cleared for anything I wanted to do. I have no regrets at all!!

We've had a number of teenagers come here who have had this surgery. We also have old folks like me who have had it and anything in between. I am as active now at 64 as I was in my 20's. I am lean and mean, only thing holding me back is....my back...and other joints. If I can solve that problem, no stopping me. :D

Definitely do it! I am also in my 30's and about 6 weeks post-op, and I think it was a great decision. I think doing in younger is good because you are in such a better position to recover, heal quickly, and change old habits. Plus, why not enjoy as many years as possible in a healthier body? Like you, I was apprehensive beforehand, but now I am SO glad I did it. Good luck!

I am 36years old I had the surgery April 4th 2013 start weight 215 now 149 I am so happy with my decision my only concern is when am I gonna stop loosing I don't want 2 look sickly just know this is a LIFETIME CHANGE I started back smoking cigarettes worse thing I could have ever done but only thing I can do is quit & do better good luck 2 u & ur decision

I'm 33 going to OCC for surgery Dec 30th so excited. Any packing advice?

Gas x and ur cup & confy nightclothes good luck congrats

I'm 33 going to OCC for surgery Dec 30th so excited. Any packing advice?

-- you look so slim in your avatar!!! I'm 31 and had VSG on dec12-- 16 days out! Had hernia repair work done and still in quite a bit of discomfort... Hard to get liquids and Protein in and feeling super weak the past week even was in ER on day 11

Sorry to digress but for packing keep it simple:

Slippers if you don't like the grip socks

Change of clothes when you leave

Undies

They give you gas meds, soap, toothbrush etc

Phone and charger

I was in too much pain to read a good book so I just watched tv and moaned and groaned during my 2 night stay

-- you look so slim in your avatar!!! I'm 31 and had VSG on dec12-- 16 days out! Had hernia repair work done and still in quite a bit of discomfort... Hard to get liquids and Protein in and feeling super weak the past week even was in ER on day 11

Sorry to digress but for packing keep it simple:

Slippers if you don't like the grip socks

Change of clothes when you leave

Undies

They give you gas meds, soap, toothbrush etc

Phone and charger

I was in too much pain to read a good book so I just watched tv and moaned and groaned during my 2 night stay

Ahh thanks, it's a skinny picture.hope you start to feel better!

I was 55 when I had my surgery and I wish I would have done it in my 30's. I don't believe that you are too young due to the fact that you are having some medical issues if I remember correctly.

Happy New Year and you have already received some really good advice.... :P

Hi, first and for most Thank you for your service!

I am 35 and am 8 days post op. I think that doing this at your age is a plus because you stop weight from holding you back from enjoying the rest of your life. Healing and recovery is a bit easier when you are younger from what I have been told by other sleeve patients. I am doing so well, surprised at the quickness of my recovery. I only needed pain meds for 4 days. Not very sore, and adding foods back in every day. As the weight comes off just imagine how much easier it will be to move, be active and have fun.

It is a big decision ,not one to be taken lightly. For me I was not willing to waist another day!

Best of luck to you :)

I'm a 37-year-old mom of six kids. I had my surgery on a Tuesday, and was back home Wednesday running the show. I had a little soreness for the first three or four days, but no severe pain, no gas pain, and no loss of functionality. To comply with my doctor's lifting restrictions, I didn't lift my 6-month old (25 pounder) for almost the first two weeks post-op, but at that two-week mark, I had to be back to 100%. Because it works with my lifestyle, I walk for exercise, do push-ups, and exercise with resistance bands at home. Other than my not sharing meals with my family during the pre-op and post-op liquid phases, this whole process and procedure has been minimally disruptive to our big family life.

When I was 29 I starting thinking about it and at the age of 31 I just had it done. I regret not having it done years ago. As far as recovery I am 10 wks out and I can do anything I could have before the surgery including heavy weight lifting.