Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

*Gastric sleeve diet* (without surgery)

This is what I'm trying anyone have any thoughts or ideas let me know I need help with a good meal plan

Atkins Diet.

Funny I said for years- why cant you do the diet without the surgery!! Never did get an answer but back then I never found this Forum (if it existed) and never found one of the diet plans.

Soooo of course this is purely MY OPINION. I think physically you might be able to do it but it would be pretty close to impossible to continue mentally for very long. Well even physically it would be real hard when you get hungry. Believe me, the fact that I CAN NOT eat more has been a saving grace many times when something tasted really good. Also I never got hungry until last week (over 6 months out) and so far that only happened 3 times.

However just Portion Control and eating healthy which is essentially what we do works wonders.

Theres a post somewhere that lists a LOT of different after surgery diets/instructions. If you need more info let me know.

Thanks, I've been debating the sleeve for over a year since I met my inspiration two friends a husband and a wife. Well long story short I can't afford the surgery unless I go to Mexico so it will be a last case sinario. If we put our minds into something we can do just about anything that's what I've always been told I would never go into this surgery without being mentally prepared for the life style change it's all mind over matter if i went through the surgery would that change what I eat, the answer is no because you can still eat a lot of bad choice foods and crave them and eat them so I'm doing the diet that you all did with the surgery before and after and forever its a life style change im acting as If I'm having the surgery therfore calling it the Gastric sleeve diet and I need the support of anyone and everyone I am tired of being over weight I only want to lose 110lbs of I lose more than that that's great but it's a goal of mine to go back to my normal size before having my 3 kids I was a size 15 and weight was 215 I saw 19 I am now almost 27 and I'm 310 I was up to 318 at the most I am discussed with my body and disappointed but I figured out that if I follow this diet plan I can lose just as much as anyone else but I'll be happy if I reach my personal goal. And any food tips and any other tips are appreciated

I will say that I did this about 6 years ago (without knowing that it was a "sleeve diet"). I told myself that I was doing Nutrition 101 and I started exercising daily. I used small plates, very small serving sizes, chewed everything until it was liquid and concentrated on a very low fat, a moderate carb and enough Protein. There were days, especially at first, when I went to bed early because I was done eating but I was really hungry. I did very well and went from 270 to 200 in 6 months.

The problem was that it wasn't sustainable (for me) and within 4 years I was back to 270+. I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm saying that for me, I know the sleeve is the tool I needed in order to make it a permanent change. Whatever you end up doing, I wish you the best of luck!

@planetheather you just gave me an amazing idea.... I can diet until I get down to my goal and if I'm struggling I can always have the sleeve done, hopefully by then my tribal insurance coverage will change their policies and or I can afford it up here or the last option would be Mexico, anyway thanks for the idea :)

@Maccurdyerica You are most welcome. After all the help this site has given me, I am happy to have had the chance to help someone else. I will add that in addition to strictly following the "sleeve" eating plan, I was lucky enough that I worked from home. This is probably TMI, but I spent the winter working in a sports bra and pair of shorts. About every hour, I would be freezing again and would run down to my exercise bike and do a few minutes to warm up. At first I could only do 5 minutes and I worked my way up to 10 minutes every hour. I'm sure that helped keep my metabolism up. Good luck!

Before having the surgery I had doubts about my need for it... "Shouldn't I be able to do this without surgery?" But now I know that would not have worked for me any more than it did the other zillion times I've tried to change my eating habits. The pre-op diet - 1 week of just 4-5 Protein shakes a day and no solid food - was SO hard; I was desperately hungry a LOT of the time. The only thing that kept me going was the knowledge that the diet was a prerequisite for the surgery. I could not have maintained a very low calorie diet for long without the sleeve. I am thankful every day for the greatly-reduced hunger I now have as a result of the surgery.

PLEASE NOTE: I'm putting in my 2 cents here NOT to discourage you, but rather so you might not beat on yourself too hard if you are not able to maintain the dietary restrictions you're planning.

You say going to Mexico is a last resort... but many of the veterans on this site have chosen that option. You might want to read more about their experiences before you cross that off as a possibility.

Whatever path you choose, Best Wishes!

While we are waiting for my husband's appeal to see if he qualifies, I gently suggested that he try to eat what I'm eating (or at least, to follow the general guidelines.) I got a very strong, "Ha! There's no way I could survive doing that."

The truth is, we were both on Optifast a few years back and that diet isn't significantly different from the early days eating plan for gastric sleeve. All liquid, 800 calories a day, big focus on Protein.

But it is difficult to sustain and (Optifast anyway was) expensive.

I believe that in addition to the physical changes we undergo, best case scenario is that we also get a dose of resolve from having the surgery. As in, "I did this, and I will not screw it up." The unfortunate flip side is that my husband sort of now feels that it is hopeless UNLESS he qualifies. And frankly, he may be sort of right. He has not sustained any great loss long term; most people don't.

It can't hurt to try to follow the guidelines and see. But it's a tough proposition.

Eating less is the key to this weight loss indeed. In fact, I am 2 months out (40# lost), and I can tolerate everything so far. But because I know I need Proteins to stay healthy when you are losing this fast, they take about 75 percent of my average daily food consumption.

God bless whatever choice u make Mac. Had I not had 2 blown knees and not being able to exercise in my forties as I use too in my 30's to lose the weight, I too may not be having this surgery. In order to get new knees after 5 surgeries alrdy, I needed to lose the weight but w my slow metabolism now from yo yo dieting, I cudn sustain the loss ie, continue in pain n comorbs. So even now on this 2 wk preop all liq, day 4, its hard as heck n like som1 said, if not for the surgery comn up, I cudnt sustain this long term. I wudn want too. But I believe u can do it, just one day at a time n c what happens n make the choice after uve tried all that u cud, that's what I did, b4 deciding on this surgery. Also, just in case, try and follow a drs recommend diet, whether u follow it or not, So that it can b noted in ur medical files just in case u decide to have surgery n u NEED proof of dieting. Just fyi bc some insurances want 6 mths proof. But gl dear. You'll do gr8 whatever YOUR CHOICE may be. We all have to "get to our final straw" in our own way. God bless:)

its pretty simple, 60-80 grams of Protein, 64 ounces of Water. veggies after that, then fruit then carbs. avoid Pasta, rice, soft doughy bread and other highly processed carbs. no more than 15 grams added sugar at one time. no soda pop. simple, but not easy. good luck.

Edited by moonlitestarbrite