Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my gastric sleeve op on the 27th of Nov 2013. I'm just about 3 weeks out and I've already reached a bit of a plateau. I was wondering if this could be expected so early after the opp, I've lost 6 KG (13 pounds) in the first week and a half and then just kind of chilled at that weight now for the following week and a bit.

Also, I have been feeling really hungry, something everyone says they don't feel after a sleeve. Maybe it's head hunger, but my stomach growls and I get weak and want food....so that pretty much seems like hunger to me.

I have been very active walking 4-5 km several days a week. I'm on soft food, so been eating like scrambled eggs and soft fish. Doesn't seem like I should be stagnating with my portion size intake and activity level, and I doubt I'm piling on muscle which is causing my weight to stay up. I have been a bit bad with my Water...only drinking about one litre a day.

Anyway, just looking for support and feedback, I haven't reached freak out point although I'll be pretty angry if I reach one month and still stuck at 6kg.

Take care peoples,

Firstly, congrats on your new tool and for getting active! I think if you work on increasing your Water intake, that may help you see some more progress. Also, one of the other Forum Hosts here, Butterthebean, has a link to an article that could help shed some light. Let us know if this helps!

http://www.dsfacts.com/weight-loss-stall-or-plateau.html#.Uq1FWdJDveI

Hi Stefanie, thanks for quick response. I think my diet is alright as I'm really concentering on the Protein, so I guess I'll just try and up the Water. That seems to be the only missing link for now.

Like I said I won't start throwing a fit until I hit one month post op. I can't wait until I can get back in the gym again, I guess need another 3 weeks for that.

Anyway, good luck to you too and thanks for the article.

If you don't emerge from the stall when you think you should, you might try the calorie shocker day, too. Once I started really losing while I was SO strict with my diet and workouts, I really believe it was because I had a cheat day each week (almost always on same day...Sunday) to keep my metabolism guessing.

That's a good idea. How do you do a shocker day with a stomach capacity of 2-3 tablespoons haha? Do you know any good foods that go down easy without coming right up again.

The infamous three week stall. Mine lasted three weeks. Just keep doing exactly what your doing, it will pass.

Yes, it is expected and you are not doing anything wrong. I hit a stale at about 3-4 weeks out and I am now six months out and has been at the same weight for a couple of months now. I have also noticed that I have gone from size 20 to 18 in the past couple of months when the scale last moved. My original surgery size was size 24. My point: even though the scale is not responding to all your hard-works, your body is. Good luck and please don't give up. It will be worth it at the end. Sleeved-6/5/13 SW-300 CW-242 Goal-160.

Edited by chibabyy

Thanks for all of the encouraging comments guys.

At what point does the surgery break even with all the money and efforts? For example, I weighed 325 pounds when I started. For me to really say, ok it was worth cutting my stomach out I'd need to get to about 250 pounds, although my real goal is to try and break under 200 a bit. (I'm 6 ft and pretty built so I could carry that weight ok)...

What is the magic number.

Thanks for all of the encouraging comments guys.

At what point does the surgery break even with all the money and efforts? For example, I weighed 325 pounds when I started. For me to really say, ok it was worth cutting my stomach out I'd need to get to about 250 pounds, although my real goal is to try and break under 200 a bit. (I'm 6 ft and pretty built so I could carry that weight ok)...

What is the magic number.

I don't understand your question. I have now lost 160#. When did it become worth it to me? I think for me losing about 100-120 range, but the real pay off is maintenance....

So, the important topic - hunger. Are you on a PPI medication for acid? Early days post op, your stomach is still pumping out enough acid for a big tummy but you have a small one. Oddly, it feels like hunger. Really, most people need to take a PPI for weeks or even a few months post op. Also, nerves are damaged when a good chunk of stomache is removed. I suspect that many of us don't feel the fullness due to that in early weeks. Also, I assume you are still on liquid or mushy food. That is just NOT filling like dense food is. It will take you awhile before you are eating the kind of food that really makes you feel full.

If you have a surgeon with a good track record, my advice is to follow the program and trust that it works. It does.

That's a good idea. How do you do a shocker day with a stomach capacity of 2-3 tablespoons haha? Do you know any good foods that go down easy without coming right up again.

That's why my day was Sunday. I'm typically home most if not all day. The key is to up the calories without it being a junk-fest. For me, I would add one or two more Protein drinks, a Supreme Protein Bar which has almost no net carbs or sugar, but packs a punch with healthier fats and definitely higher calories. (One full size bar is almost 400 calories, but the caramel one is just like a Snickers! Not to mention it also has 30g of protein.) You are not far out from surgery, so I'm guessing your options may still be rather limited. Just increase meal frequency, thereby increasing your total daily volume, for that one day.

Everyone is different, but when I was sticking to this method I was dropping a jeans size about every two weeks for about two to three months. In June I was a size 24 and by Christmas I was a size 12 with most of that progress realized in late Fall.

Magic number? I don't know that there is a magic number when it comes to weight. It's just not the best (or even more than a vaguely adequate) indicator of health. BMI is even worse. The best indicator of health is body fat percentage. I don't care what the scale says about weight....I wait for the body fat number to pop up! That's what motivates me!

Edited by TexasFire

Ok some great feedback from all of you. I'm going to up my Water big time, look into my stomach acid level, and do a shocker day if I don't see any results in a couple weeks.

Final question, has anyone ever gone from gastric sleeve to 6 pack without any kind of plastic surgery? Like if I get my body fat down low enough and skin isn't too bad, can it ever get to that level of leanness?

Keep pressing along. Concentrate on non weight victories. U r probably losing inches. And if u have more energy walk longer exercise a little harder. , of course with your docs permission. -a 3 week stall seems the norm by reading the responses from this website. Keep yourself busy and try not to dwell on the scale. The scale can be my friend or my enemy.

Ok some great feedback from all of you. I'm going to up my Water big time, look into my stomach acid level, and do a shocker day if I don't see any results in a couple weeks.

Final question, has anyone ever gone from gastric sleeve to 6 pack without any kind of plastic surgery? Like if I get my body fat down low enough and skin isn't too bad, can it ever get to that level of leanness?

Sounds like a plan! In answer to your question, it's possible. It really depends on the individual. The skins' elasticity is different for each person. That being said, it's easier to accomplish with resistance than cardio...and it takes time for the skin to shrink back, if it is going to. But it is possible, under the right circumstances.