Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So... What Are My Chances?

Um, I'm guessing the answer to my question is going to be yes, but i'm hoping it's a no. Anyways, is it common for surgeons to take vacations around Christmas? therefore unable to do the surgeries around that time? I was really hoping to be able to get my surgery right around Christmas. I see the surgeon this week and I was already told he usually schedules a surgery date about 4 weeks out. Also this year I already met my out of pocket max for insurance so if I have to wait till January that won't be good, the insurance starts all over again and policy changes (per the employer) generally take place.

So what are my chances of getting a surgery date before the end of this year? I'm seeing a surgeon that is fairly popular, he was on Oprah years ago when she had her talk show, before her network OWN.

Just be frank (but nice) and tell then you've met you max and would really like to try to get this done before 12/31. Some docs do take time off, some don't, some just do a day or two so really can't help ya there though. I'd say, if he's usually 4 weeks out, you've got a decent chance of making it! Also, if you get a date in January, ask if they have a cancellation list and if so can you be added? You may have to be ready to roll with 2 or 3 days notice though. Good luck!!!!

I know because we're looking at this right now that our surgeon only does sleeves on Thursdays, and that his office says he is only working the first two Thursdays in December. That said, when I was at the hospital the pre-op nurse told me there are cancellations almost every week. I would ask if they have a policy about that. In my case, it would have been tricky to complete the 5 day liquid diet prior without much notice, but if you are determined to go in December maybe you can do the lead in every time the surgeon is scheduled, just in case? It's tough but it might work. Good luck!

Depends on where you are in the process. There are a lot of boxes to check before having surgery. I started the process in early October, and I had my surgery December 19. I was able to move it faster than usual because it was close to the holidays. Most people don't want surgery around that time. But I really had to hustle to get all the pre-op testing completed - you'll need a fairly clean bill of health in most cases.

Is there anything else I need to do? From what I understand you don't get to see the surgeon and schedule your surgery date until everything else is completed. I went through all their requirements as far as I know. Now I just need to meet with the doctor and I *think* that is when I am suppose to get the surgery date. At least I hope I get a surgery date and preferably one before December 31st.

I started my requirements in June. I specifically asked my surgeon if he would be around during the holidays. He said he wasn't planning to be off (this was two months ago). I told him I really needed to schedule during the month of December since I work in education and we are off during the last two weeks. Unfortunately for me it all comes down to the insurance approval. My final weigh in is December 5th. I was told approvals are running 5-15 days UHG! My surgeon will not even pencil me in until I have the approval. So frustrating! I've actually even stayed away from this site because I don't want to be so disappointed if my approval doesn't come through. :angry:

I'm self pay and going to Obesity Control Center in TJ. I was told Dr. Ortiz will be on vacation the week of Christmas, but Dr, Martinez would still be doing surgeries that week. Well, I wanted the full "team" for my surgery, so I scheduled it for Dec 20. Just call your surgeon's office and check with his schedule. And hope your insurance doesn't postpone anything on a technicality.

Is there anything else I need to do? From what I understand you don't get to see the surgeon and schedule your surgery date until everything else is completed. I went through all their requirements as far as I know. Now I just need to meet with the doctor and I *think* that is when I am suppose to get the surgery date. At least I hope I get a surgery date and preferably one before December 31st.

I have met my doctor. I have an endoscope to check for a hernia this Tuesday. I will then have my support group meeting, lab work and EKG which can be done in the same day I have be told. I am hope for January 13 or 20 for surgery.

It just depends on your circumstances. My doc ordered some additional tests after I met with him, yours may not. No way to predict this one. It will largely depend on his/her availability and what's already scheduled. Like I said, being around Christmas worked in my favor - maybe it will for you, too.

My dr did a scope throat test and an ultrasound both before my surgery. Throat to check for hernia etc and ultrasound to check for gallstones because I still have my gallbladder and if I had stones he could remove the gallbladder at same time as surgery. Good luck.

My dr did a scope throat test and an ultrasound both before my surgery. Throat to check for hernia etc and ultrasound to check for gallstones because I still have my gallbladder and if I had stones he could remove the gallbladder at same time as surgery. Good luck.

I already had the ultrasound done but not the throat scope, does that hurt?

and how often do people end up needing their gallbladder removed after they already had the surgery? like is It common to have many problems with it after you get the surgery?

The scope doesn't hurt, as you will be mildly sedated. But it does tend to irritate your throat a bit. Not a big deal, honestly. ( I was actually pretty nervous about the scope, but didn't need to be) My journey took about three months in all. My first visit with surgeon was 8/6. I started knocking out all of his and the insurance requirements, but was hung up for a short time scheduling into the nutritionist. Once all was said and done, and all pre insurance approval testing was complete, it was around the first of October. My approval was lightening quick, less than 24hrs. ( Just a VERY lucky coincidence) Two days later I was scheduled for 10/21. All of my hospital required pre op testing, my 10 day liquid diet and the endoscope was all done within the following few weeks. I was sleeved 10/21 and I am already a month out- which is incredibly hard to believe!!! I too had met my insurance cap for the year due to other health issues, so I was really wanting the surgery in 2013. I had hoped to be done BEFORE the holidays, so I was extremely fortunate the way it all worked out for me. Be sure to stay on top of all you are needed to do. Be proactive about scheduling appointments and get all done you have to. Hopefully that way you will be able to get the surgery in the time frame you wish. Good luck!!!

I'm don't have numbers or stats and am by no means a health professional but what I was told is that in most cases when excessive weightloss happens quickly (which Im hoping it will) that usually because of it the gallbladder kinda freaks and yes you end up having it taken out usually by month 6 after, from what I understand. I have my gallbladder so I guess I will find out.

You may not have a throat scope done. My doc is having me do an upper GI - just involves swallowing some barium and having X-rays taken of your stomach and, well, upper GI area.

Every doc is different it seems :)

I went to an info seminar, met with my surgeon a week later and scheduled surgery the same day. I pretty much had my choice of time but wanted to wait until after this semester was done. My surgery coordinator told me it was a good thing I was booking early as their December times book quickly. Not only do they have a lot of folks who want to use their vacation time at the holidays to recover, but they also have folks who want to get everything done before the first of the year. Add that to the fact that it seems like a lot of surgeons are taking the week of Christmas off (at least a lot of the ones in my area are) and you have fewer days to book in December.

You may not have a throat scope done. My doc is having me do an upper GI - just involves swallowing some barium and having X-rays taken of your stomach and, well, upper GI area.

Every doc is different it seems :)

I went to an info seminar, met with my surgeon a week later and scheduled surgery the same day. I pretty much had my choice of time but wanted to wait until after this semester was done. My surgery coordinator told me it was a good thing I was booking early as their December times book quickly. Not only do they have a lot of folks who want to use their vacation time at the holidays to recover, but they also have folks who want to get everything done before the first of the year. Add that to the fact that it seems like a lot of surgeons are taking the week of Christmas off (at least a lot of the ones in my area are) and you have fewer days to book in December.

I had the UGI and then had Transnasal Endoscopy meaning a tube down my nose.I hope you don't have to do that ( no fun).