Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reactive Hypoglycemia

I started this post yesterday under general post op, I suspect my lack of responses was because either it was in the wrong forum or no one else has personally experienced this. It goes like this.

Hello folks... I am 23 months postoperative. I was 3.5 lbs from goal and decided to up the daily routine of exercise wanting to hit goal, I am a slow loser. More importantly the emotional victory was really all that I cared about, not the physical. So Instead of my normal 600 calorie a day burn on the elliptical I started burning 750 calories daily. I managed to lose 1.4 lbs in a month, but started to become ill. Having all the signs and at times severe, of hypoglycemia. After three weeks of fearing to drive at times, I finally went to see my Dr. My normally very nice blood pressure was extremely high and she followed up with lots of blood work, a kidney workup etc. I was asked to check my blood sugars randomly and especially when feeling ill . I'll call them spells. I would tremble, feel light headed, blurred vision, rapid heart rate and overall weakness with a strong desire to EAT. This at times woke me in the middle of the night accompanied with cold sweats, feeling much like a heart attack or my impression of one. There were times at work I'd have a project in my hand and not know why, my thought process was on "hold". I was lethargic and my memory would shut down.

After googling hypoglycemia I was convinced that was what I had, yet my blood sugars were always within normal ranges, my A1C (three month average of blood sugars ) was great. So more testing was ordered, I do not have the results yet, of all the tests but one thing I do know is that I had a 2 hr fasting glucose tolerance test and that was not fun. The test is simple. They check your blood upon arrival, my number fasting was at 93, then they make you drink a bottle of sweet Syrup within 5 minutes, then I was SICK. Many of the same symptoms were replicated, although not all, I was near passing out, blurred vision, not even being able to focus on my Ipad. I thought I was going to vomit, defecate in my pants and maybe even stroke out. I could barely speak. and actually didn't dare to in fear I'd throw up. This lasted nearly an hour. At hour two they draw your blood again and it is suppose to be 140 or less to be in normal ranges. Mine was 56.

I have done further reading and honestly never read about this prior to my surgery, but this seems to be a delayed symptom of the Gastric Sleeve. It's called Reactive Hypoglycemia. http://en.wikipedia....ve_hypoglycemia I have not had any real symptoms since cutting my calorie burn back to 600 per day and trying to incorporate more complex carbs to my diet. I ate mainly Protein and vegetables. I've added a slice of 15 grain bread or a whole wheat English muffin to my diet daily and overall do feel better. I've had a few spells, not nearly as bad as before, and no more night issues.

My question is there anyone else here with the same problem? If so why had I NEVER heard of this? If someone has had this experience I have questions about whether this is temporary, will I end up gaining because i'm eating more carbs etc. Thank you in advance for your help!

Yes! Exactly. I'm 3 1/2 years out. Started experiencing a year or so ago. For a while very bad. When I would feel it I would check blood sugar and it would be in the 50s! My hubs is diabetic do he gas a monitor.

Clammy. Heart racing. Need to cram something down my throat quickly. And do!! Light headedness/ passing out. I changed my diet and started watching what I eat. Strangely for me it was too many carbs which should RAISE blood sugar.

Yes! Exactly. I'm 3 1/2 years out. Started experiencing a year or so ago. For a while very bad. When I would feel it I would check blood sugar and it would be in the 50s! My hubs is diabetic do he gas a monitor.

Clammy. Heart racing. Need to cram something down my throat quickly. And do!! Light headedness/ passing out. I changed my diet and started watching what I eat. Strangely for me it was too many carbs which should RAISE blood sugar.

So did you reduce carbs? And that helped? Because I had these same symptoms way before surgery and reducing my carb intake helped me tremendously. But that was then. I'm not having any symptoms now but curious.

I'm very sorry to hear this happening to you. It's a horrible feeling to experience this and I truly get you when you say not feeling like leaving your home. I tools my Physe doctor all about this and she suggested me getting on depression meds wit is help these symptoms. The only thing that helps me get through them us drinking a sweet drink, even though my sugars are normal and a Xanax to control me from going from anxiety to full panics episodes.

Please keep me posted as to what your doctors finds or says. It makes me nervous to know know what to expect after my WLS and would like to know what you're doing to help it go away or subside

I was diagnosed with hypoglecmia before I became a diabetic about 8 yes ago. I have experienced most of the symptoms you described.

Light headed, dizzy, confusion, rapid heartbeat, palpitations, vet scary especially when it suddenly occurred when driving. It happens randomly but being a diabetic, these symptom feel exactly like when your sugar/glucose levels are low as well.

So I would is check my sugar level and it was normal, then woukd check my highblood pressure and it would be a a bit high bcuz I go into anxiety/panic mode. I've learned how to mentally mainipulate these horrible symptoms but also afraid or leave home without having Snacks or juice in my carry bag or my Xanax.

I'm scheduled for my WLS sleeve this coming Thurs., 11/14/13 and worry about everything you mentioned and ask myself what if it gets worse and hoping it actually goes away. It's ine if my biggest fears, and what if I feel like this after WLS and my sipping of drinks/juice doesn't digest ruche away to help make me feel better. Now I can just chuckle down any bottle if juice or soda, but what about after WLS.

My purpose for my surgery is to hopefully get rid if of my diabetes, highblood pressure abs get off all meds. Today is my first day I didn't feel that horrible low blood sugar feeling which I had worried about all along when I was told I had to do the liquid diet for 2 weeks before my surgery. I'm honestly in shock I've been able to control and maintain my sugars level only due to the fact that my pcp asked me to stop taking my metaformin diabetic meds since I had struggling the first 3 to 4 days. Now I wait for Wednesday when I have to be in complete Clear Liquids and drink the magniseeum cleanser. I called the nut and asked her how am I suppose to handle being on empty stomach and go to surgery fasting. She asked me to carry along with my the chewable glucose tablets just in case.

I certainly hope you've had better luck from this symptoms and can control them my eating or young calories. I have read of some ppl having protien drinks before abd must after workouts.

Please share what's working for you and hope you're feeling better

Hello. I had this a few times before surgery. But my 12 year old has it :(. She is 115 5 4. So not weight related to some :(. Just has to make sure u eat at regular time at best no more than 3 hours between meals or Snacks and have a snack especially after a work out. They are scary. Post surgery I think I only had it once. :( hope all is well with u

I have become hypoglycemic since my sleeve surgery. Right after the surgery it would happen frequently. I would drink 1/2 cup of apple juice and it would pass. Light headed, blotchy vision and dizziness. Very scary. For 2 months I had no problem. I started going to the gym and kicked up my workouts and it started again. I guess the increased exercise triggered it. I spoke with my nutritionist and she said some people do develop hypoglycemia after the surgery. I needed to make some changes to my diet. I have to eat every 2 1/2-3 hours (5-6 times a day). I also had to add more complex carbs to my diet. She also said I wasn't eating enough calories before. I averaged 400-600. Now, doing the 5-6 smaller meals I can get up to 800-1000 calories, which is where she said I should be at this point. My surgery was just over 4 months ago. It's only been about a week since I started the changes and I honestly feel better already. Good luck to you!

Yea, I just posted about this. It started for me 1 1/2 weeks after Surgery when I tried a premier shake while in the car. Luckily I was not driving. I became sweaty and felt weak almost like I was going to pass out. It lasted more than 1 hour. So I stopped the premier shakes for a few months. Then was able to slowly tolerate them. And I monitor the type of sugar that are in the shakes too. I switched mostly to Syntrax Nectar brand which did fine. Some sugars like maltodextrin causes it too even before Surgery. So when it happens, I d just have sit. I noticed I sometimes will talk slow like a diabetic who sugar drops! I tried to tell my Surgeon. I thought it was dumping syndrome because in the beginning it followed by abdomen cramps and running to bathroom. I just now learned that this is what I have A few months ago. So, if I eat simple sugars, I sweat can get lightheaded. I don't like that one day it lasted For hours with a headache too.

Mine to is too many carbs that can cause it too.

It does not happen all the time either. Thank God.

Edited by Ballermom

So did you reduce carbs? And that helped? Because I had these same symptoms way before surgery and reducing my carb intake helped me tremendously. But that was then. I'm not having any symptoms now but curious.

Yes

For me not taking simple sugar and re slated does help. I however can take Splenda very well but cutting that out too.

Hypoglycemia is the one thing that hasn't gone away since surgery. So when I have my spells (that's what I call them too) it's nothing new to me. I have actually cut out any non-veggie carb foods from diet. But since you are having reacting it might be different for you.

Hi

I have been 13 yrs post bypass and lost 120lbs and kept it off. At about year 10, I would have low blood sugars 2 hrs post meal where I would feel sick trembling, hungry, confused and unable to speak. This has continued to get much worse and yesterday I had an episode where my bs was 1.6 which is 34 in us measurements. it is extremely scary and difficult to manage. I had to stop working fulltime and many things I like to do I now feel too anxious to try as I am worried I will have a low. I went on a no carb diet with less than 20 carb per day, it is very strict and limiting. I saw an endo who had never heard of this condition. I think as more people reach the 10 yr mark it will be recognized. the correct name for this condition is "postparandial hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia" Some people are so disabled by this they have their pancreas completely removed. It can lead to seizure and even death if not treated with glucose. They feel it is when the gut gets some carbs the pancreas over reacts and produces way too much insulin and the blood sugar levels drop significantly. It does get worse as time goes by and is not curable l Have tried many medications but the only thing that works is to cut out carbs completely. This is a devastating illness so pre op pts, consider this before you have the surgery...if anyone is interested there is a good forum called WEIGHT LOSS TRIUMPH, it has lots of pts with this same problem...

Hi I've just been searching for this topic as I've recently realised I have just started showing symptoms of Reactive Hyplogylcemia. I'm exactly one year post-op sleeve surgery and I had no idea us sleevers could suffer these symptoms. I'm a vegetarian so trying to cut out carbs has been a huge challenge for me and must admit that recently they have come back into my diet and my weightloss has also stalled.

I now find that if I try and exercise in the mornings I have a massive hypo attack, the shakes, sweating, low blood sugar, feel like I'm going to faint, need to sit down and then an urgency to eat something. I then continue to feel terrible for the rest of the day like I'm all washed out and very tired even though I've done almost nothing.

This is a very worrying new complication of the sleeve surgery that I did not sign up for and I'm trying to find out as much as possible about the condition so I can learn how to manage it. I'm confused as to whether I need to cut the carbs or increase them? I've been eating about 1,000 calories a day but burning around 2,700 cals per day (I wear a BodyMedia monitor so I know exactly what I'm using).

I'm now really worried about this new development.. I'm seeing my surgeon next week for my one year review, I will be asking about this as from what I've researched, it seems as though there are a lot of people post bariatric surgery complaining of the problem and not much can be done from what I know??. Mine so far has been manageable but I am very worried it might get worse and I've read some people having their Pancreases removed which seems very extreme!. Any help or advice would be gratefully received. Prior to surgery I had PCOS, under-active thyroid and had been told years ago that I was insulin resistent but I never had diabetes. I must say, had I known about this complication it would have made me consider very carefully whether I should do this? Please has anyone any advice as it is worrying me a lot??

Hi I've just been searching for this topic as I've recently realised I have just started showing symptoms of Reactive Hyplogylcemia. I'm exactly one year post-op sleeve surgery and I had no idea us sleevers could suffer these symptoms. I'm a vegetarian so trying to cut out carbs has been a huge challenge for me and must admit that recently they have come back into my diet and my weightloss has also stalled.

I now find that if I try and exercise in the mornings I have a massive hypo attack, the shakes, sweating, low blood sugar, feel like I'm going to faint, need to sit down and then an urgency to eat something. I then continue to feel terrible for the rest of the day like I'm all washed out and very tired even though I've done almost nothing.

This is a very worrying new complication of the sleeve surgery that I did not sign up for and I'm trying to find out as much as possible about the condition so I can learn how to manage it. I'm confused as to whether I need to cut the carbs or increase them? I've been eating about 1,000 calories a day but burning around 2,700 cals per day (I wear a BodyMedia monitor so I know exactly what I'm using).

I'm now really worried about this new development.. I'm seeing my surgeon next week for my one year review, I will be asking about this as from what I've researched, it seems as though there are a lot of people post bariatric surgery complaining of the problem and not much can be done from what I know??. Mine so far has been manageable but I am very worried it might get worse and I've read some people having their Pancreases removed which seems very extreme!. Any help or advice would be gratefully received. Prior to surgery I had PCOS, under-active thyroid and had been told years ago that I was insulin resistent but I never had diabetes. I must say, had I known about this complication it would have made me consider very carefully whether I should do this? Please has anyone any advice as it is worrying me a lot??

I can't believe I just saw this topic! I will be 2 years out in July from my sleeve surgery. Not only do I have horrible reflux issues, my blood sugar started dropping about 10 months ago! My PCP said just try to eat more Protein & eat every few hours.

My husband is a diabetic & he will check my sugar level when I feel an episode coming on, has gone down to the mid 50-60 range! I always keep glucose tablets with me & will drink apple juice to bring it back up.

I am also scheduled for a revision to gastric bypass on 7/18 due to my reflex issues.

Sometimes I regret having started on this weight loss journey. I am down to 123, it is the thinnest I can ever remember being..Just wish I wasn't having issues.

Hi I've just been searching for this topic as I've recently realised I have just started showing symptoms of Reactive Hyplogylcemia. I'm exactly one year post-op sleeve surgery and I had no idea us sleevers could suffer these symptoms. I'm a vegetarian so trying to cut out carbs has been a huge challenge for me and must admit that recently they have come back into my diet and my weightloss has also stalled. I now find that if I try and exercise in the mornings I have a massive hypo attack, the shakes, sweating, low blood sugar, feel like I'm going to faint, need to sit down and then an urgency to eat something. I then continue to feel terrible for the rest of the day like I'm all washed out and very tired even though I've done almost nothing. This is a very worrying new complication of the sleeve surgery that I did not sign up for and I'm trying to find out as much as possible about the condition so I can learn how to manage it. I'm confused as to whether I need to cut the carbs or increase them? I've been eating about 1,000 calories a day but burning around 2,700 cals per day (I wear a BodyMedia monitor so I know exactly what I'm using). I'm now really worried about this new development.. I'm seeing my surgeon next week for my one year review, I will be asking about this as from what I've researched, it seems as though there are a lot of people post bariatric surgery complaining of the problem and not much can be done from what I know??. Mine so far has been manageable but I am very worried it might get worse and I've read some people having their Pancreases removed which seems very extreme!. Any help or advice would be gratefully received. Prior to surgery I had PCOS, under-active thyroid and had been told years ago that I was insulin resistent but I never had diabetes. I must say, had I known about this complication it would have made me consider very carefully whether I should do this? Please has anyone any advice as it is worrying me a lot??

MusicalLover - you have a huge calorie deficit (1000 - 2700 = -1700 a day). As you lose weight it becomes more difficult for your body to get to it's stored fat for energy. If you are nearing goal weight it might be your body just can't get to the fuel in time. I had this happen on a medically supervised fast (500 cal a day) when I got within 20 pounds of goal. You might try decreasing your deficit a little and see if that helps. I only had to increase my calories by 300 and it stopped. This happens to lots of people, sleeve or no sleeve when at a huge deficit. Good luck - keep us posted on what your doc says at your 1 year!