Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First of all, by way of introduction, my name is Sandy and I'm from a small (very small) town in south central Mississippi. I've been "in the process" for several months now starting first with verifying my insurance would cover WLS followed shortly thereafter by reading Cigna's seemingly endless list of requirements for WLS and then going through the process of completing the requirements for approval. I've found a Center of Excellence in Bariatric Surgery in Jackson, Mississippi [Transformations at River Oaks Hospital] and have been working closely with them for the past month. I've visited several sites on-line and watched tons of YouTube videos and picked up some great information. I'm currently reading the book, "The Emotional First + Aid Kit, A Practical Guide to Life After Bariatric Surgery" by Cynthia L. Alexander, PsyD (really good read btw). I've ordered pre-op Vitamins, post-op vitamins, purchased Protein Powder, Protein Shakes, sugar free popsicles and Soup broth all in preparation for what lies ahead. I've started substituting Protein shakes for meals to get my body used to the idea knowing the pre-op diet is a 2 wks liquid diet. I've started working out at a gym that has a program specifically for overweight/sedentary folks like myself. So all the pre-op activity is great but I find myself looking deep inside and asking, how will I know that I'm truly ready? Will I ever master the art of overcoming food temptations? If I haven't been successful in making good food choices before, what makes me think I'll make good food choices in the future? If I've always struggled with maintaining a regular exercise routine, what chance do I have of sticking with one now? How do I know I'm really ready, committed and prepared for this journey? So my question is simple....how did you know you were ready to make such a life-altering, irreversible decision? If you're already had WLS, what advice could you offer that has helped you stay committed in your post-op journey?

How do you know you're ready? What a great question. And I think you'll likely get a lot of great answers.

From a purely objective viewpoint, it's similar to asking how do you "know" the surgery will succeed? Or how do you "know" there won't be serious complications? How do you "know" you won't fail? The answer is you don't. There are risks. There are no guarantees. No absolutes. No certainty. Can you "know" you're ready? Probably not.

But there is an old saying - "If you know something to be true, it's a fact. If you feel something to be true, it's faith." Like you, I did extensive pre-op research. I was meticulous about the sources I chose for the information I was looking for. The Institute of Medicine, Harvard Public Health, mayo Clinic, the World Health Organization, the food and Drug Administration, the National Institutes of Health, WebMD, countless major universities and hospitals across the country and around the world - the list goes on and on. By the time I made my decision, I was convinced (and still am) that RnY is the single most effective treatment known to medical science for the treatment of obesity, type 2 diabetes, and more than 30 comorbidities associated with obesity. I had read all of the statistics. I was convinced that in spite of the very real risks, some very serious, that the odds of my having a successful outcome were overwhelmingly in my favor.

I felt that it was the right thing to do. And that was enough. Does that mean that I wasn't scared on the morning they wheeled me into the OR? Not hardly. Does that mean the thought of failing never crossed my mind? Not hardly. Can you ever really "know" that you're doing the right thing? I don't think so. But courage is not about never being afraid. Courage is not about certainty. Courage is about doing what you feel is right, in spite of your fears and your doubts.

This last Sunday was the second anniversary of my surgery. Now, I know I was ready. Now, I know it was the right decision for me. Now, I have a new life that at one point not so long ago I "knew" I would never have.

I "feel" that you're gonna love the new you!!

I would say since you are asking yourself those questions - you are ready. This is a long and exciting journey you are beginning. You will learn things about yourself you never knew were there. Through the struggles and hardship you come out strong. I thought about doing this many years ago, but I know now i was not ready then. I was ready this time. I was ready to live the life I knew I could if I was skinner.

You will be amazed about the exercise part. It becomes almost addicting. I hate missing workouts when I am sick, and love running now. It is almost effortlessly now.

For me eating better just made sense now. I still have times where I eat badly, and I am working on those. However most of the time I want to fuel my body. Logging your food really helps with learning your habits and issues with food. Before surgery I would keep a food log along with emotions. It will help you figure out why you are eating.

Remember your body will lose the weight according to its own schedule and sometimes that schedule is frustrating, but give it time.

I don't know where the journey will end, but I know where to start!

Thanks for the feedback DLCoggins and Music1618! Sometimes I tend to over analyze and perhaps this is another instance of just that. I think I'm also trying to achieve some level of pre-op behavior modification 'excellence' and need to recognize and accept that each step I take toward the transitions matters (like spending an entire day in a conference room yesterday with a platter of French pastries and not touching a single one!). I finished reading 'The First Aid Kit, A Practical Guide to Bariatric Surgery' last night and found some reassurance that perfection isn't a criteria for success, the truth is, we won't make the right choice every time but the key to long term success is not letting one or two miss-steps define your future and derail your dream. As I finished the last few chapters I realized this little book is absolutely full of wisdom that I will revisit time and time again and not just left on a shelf. So, another test today, same conference room and another platter of French pastries! Go me!!!

How do you know you're ready? What a great question. And I think you'll likely get a lot of great answers.

From a purely objective viewpoint, it's similar to asking how do you "know" the surgery will succeed? Or how do you "know" there won't be serious complications? How do you "know" you won't fail? The answer is you don't. There are risks. There are no guarantees. No absolutes. No certainty. Can you "know" you're ready? Probably not.

But there is an old saying - "If you know something to be true, it's a fact. If you feel something to be true, it's faith." Like you, I did extensive pre-op research. I was meticulous about the sources I chose for the information I was looking for. The Institutes of Medicine, Harvard, mayo Clinics, the World Health Organization, the food and Drug Administration, the National Institutes of Health, WebMD, countless major universities and hospitals across the country and around the world - the list goes on and on. By the time I made my decision, I was convinced (and still am) that RnY is the single most effective treatment known to medical science for the treatment of obesity, type 2 diabetes, and more than 30 comorbidities associated with obesity. I had read all of the statistics. I was convinced that in spite of the very real risks, some very serious, that the odds of my having a successful outcome were overwhelmingly in my favor.

I felt that it was the right thing to do. And that was enough. Does that mean that I wasn't scared on the morning they wheeled me into the OR? Not hardly. Does that mean the thought of failing never crossed my mind? Not hardly. Can you ever really "know" that you're doing the right thing? I don't think so. But courage is not about never being afraid. Courage is not about certainty. Courage is about doing what you feel is right, in spite of your fears and your doubts.

This last Sunday was the second anniversary of my surgery. Now, I know I was ready. Now, I know it was the right decision for me. Now, I have a new life that at one point not so long ago I "knew" I would never have.

I "feel" that you're gonna love the new you!!

Wonderfully Stated!!

Great question. Great response. For me , one day I just had an ah-ha moment. I am a helper of anybody who needs help and one day I looked in the mirror and thought, "how can you expect someone else to defeat their demons/addictions when you can't even face or defeat yours (food)". I started my journey that day. After much research and praying I decided that wls was the best thing for me and my family.

First of all, by way of introduction, my name is Sandy and I'm from a small (very small) town in south central Mississippi. I've been "in the process" for several months now starting first with verifying my insurance would cover WLS followed shortly thereafter by reading Cigna's seemingly endless list of requirements for WLS and then going through the process of completing the requirements for approval. I've found a Center of Excellence in Bariatric Surgery in Jackson, Mississippi [Transformations at River Oaks Hospital] and have been working closely with them for the past month. I've visited several sites on-line and watched tons of YouTube videos and picked up some great information. I'm currently reading the book, "The Emotional First + Aid Kit, A Practical Guide to Life After Bariatric Surgery" by Cynthia L. Alexander, PsyD (really good read btw). I've ordered pre-op Vitamins, post-op Vitamins, purchased Protein powder, Protein shakes, sugar free popsicles and Soup broth all in preparation for what lies ahead. I've started substituting Protein Shakes for meals to get my body used to the idea knowing the pre-op diet is a 2 wks liquid diet. I've started working out at a gym that has a program specifically for overweight/sedentary folks like myself. So all the pre-op activity is great but I find myself looking deep inside and asking, how will I know that I'm truly ready? Will I ever master the art of overcoming food temptations? If I haven't been successful in making good food choices before, what makes me think I'll make good food choices in the future? If I've always struggled with maintaining a regular exercise routine, what chance do I have of sticking with one now? How do I know I'm really ready, committed and prepared for this journey? So my question is simple....how did you know you were ready to make such a life-altering, irreversible decision? If you're already had WLS, what advice could you offer that has helped you stay committed in your post-op journey?

I am going through the Transformation River Oaks program as well!