Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What made you think "this is it!" I'm getting WLS?

So what made you decide to do it...was it gradual or did you have a eureka moment? For me it was something I had joked with my husband about for our entire marriage (almost 20 years), never really thinking it would ever be a reality. This winter was really hard on me, lots of aches and pains that didn't go away. I put back on 30 of the 50 lbs I lost in 2009-2010 and felt like giving up. I finally started researching surgery in Mexico and just made up my mind. Less than two months later I had surgery.

Freaky. My weight loss figures and dates are almost the same as yours, except it was a loss of 41lbs and re-gain of 25ish. I just decided I couldn't go through WW a 3rd time (I'd got to goal twice about 10 years apart, the last time being 2009).

I could still do with losing another 20lbs, so I joined SparkPeople.com trying to make that work (good ol' diet and exercise) and I'm also seriously thinking about getting a band over my plication for the final push.

Mine was that I had lost 80 lbs with diet and exercise several years ago and was slowly gaining it all back. This past fall I quickly gained back that last 30 lbs of it which totally freaked me out. I decided I had to do something different!

I had often stated that I would get wls in a heartbeat if I could. Well, it was practically a heartbeat. I asked my hubby last June if I get the surgery in Mexico. He said sure. Within 3 weeks I was in Mexico. I didn't do much research, My bad. I have learned 100 % of what I now know since my surgery. I wouldnt' necessarily recommend doing it that way but it has worked for me and I don't regret it one bit.

Mine was that I had lost 80 lbs with diet and exercise several years ago and was slowly gaining it all back. This past fall I quickly gained back that last 30 lbs of it which totally freaked me out. I decided I had to do something different!

i always felt like a stranger in my old body.. since I have been overweight, I never felt like myself.. I wanted the lap band but, didnt want to deal with the fills. when plication became affordable, i jumped on it.. i was never ever comfortable being fat and would never accept that this is life for me.. though all my friends told me it is a part of getting older.. im like ok whatever.. now i guess i need to find the fountain of youth? oh, getting into a size 20 was probably the kicker

My "this is it" happened this past week. I reached 220 and I am uncomfortable daily. I am 5 ft 3 and successful except for this area of my life. I see myself in a window of a shop and I am startled by my weight gain, embarassed of my vacation pictures and really avoiding social situations.

I have lurking on weight losss sites for two years but really thought it was all about me not being in control of myself. I have tried multiple diets, pills, personal training etc. I am glad I am doing this because it is the only selfish thing I have done for myself. I dont think it is magic but it is a powereful tool that will help me reach my goals!

I don't think it is selfish...I think it is smart to take care of yourself!

It is good to take care of myself. It is a major purchase. Thank gooodness my husband supports the decision.

I know it is going to help me prevent some of the high blood pressure and diabetes associated with weight gain. So I am just going to go forward and use the tool that is available to me.

It is good to take care of myself. It is a major purchase. Thank gooodness my husband supports the decision.

I know it is going to help me prevent some of the high blood pressure and diabetes associated with weight gain. So I am just going to go forward and use the tool that is available to me.

That's the spirit!

When my Dad died in January I looked around and said he died too soon and it was because of his weight. I knew that if I did not do something and do it NOW, I was going to be in the same boat. I did some research and then began the 3-4 month journey it took to go through all the steps and to get approved. My surgery was 7/7/11 and I have not looked back since. I have lost 50 pounds and have 68 more to go. I walk 3 miles + each day and feel great. I have only had one issue (got sick on too much sugar - won't do that again) and that was my own stupid mistake. I had lapband and plication done at the same time - I know it is experimental but I knew I was only going through this once so make it count. My weight loss has now slowed a bit, but I understand that is normal and just keep on keeping on - it will pick up and continue again. I know this is just a tool and I am the one who really controls things. I am weak - that is why the surgery and I am an emotional eater but when I think of my Dad and his final months of life, I find the strength to keep on going. Sometimes, I feel like he is sitting on my shoulder making me keep up the good work and keeping me focused.

Good luck to all of you in this same "Fat Boat". We have all taken a very big step. Some of our friends and family understand and agree with what we have done and some think we are NUTS - but we have done it and now we just move forward....Thanks for listening to this..I still have a great deal of pain in my heart to deal with, but as time goes on, the pain gets easier. My body is shrinking and the numbers on the scale are moving down - I can't ask for anything more. :)

I'm now down 58 pounds and seeing the Doctor on Friday. Feeling great and feeling like a new person. I now walk about 17-18 miles per week and think I am getting near the time that I might add a few weights. Still have cravings but I don't think that will ever change..I had my stomach fixed not my brain. I have learned that if the craving is soooo strong I can't handle it, I give in, have what I want but only a small piece, I throw the rest in the trash can (so I can't eat anymore) and move on - so far that is working for me. I hope all of you are having success and handling this new lifetyle with grace. The holidays are approaching and I am sure we will all be challenged with that one - we must hang together. Have a great week and think thin thoughts ! :lol: Melinda

Congrats on the 58lbs! tongue.gif

I'm now down 58 pounds and seeing the Doctor on Friday. Feeling great and feeling like a new person. I now walk about 17-18 miles per week and think I am getting near the time that I might add a few weights. Still have cravings but I don't think that will ever change..I had my stomach fixed not my brain. I have learned that if the craving is soooo strong I can't handle it, I give in, have what I want but only a small piece, I throw the rest in the trash can (so I can't eat anymore) and move on - so far that is working for me. I hope all of you are having success and handling this new lifetyle with grace. The holidays are approaching and I am sure we will all be challenged with that one - we must hang together. Have a great week and think thin thoughts ! :lol: Melinda

Way to go, Melinda!!

I, too, had thought about this for a long time, joking about it for years. I finally made the decision when my diabetes went totally out of control and I put back everything I had worked so very hard to get off over 4 years PLUS! I felt like just giving up and allowing the disease to take its course, but have a 9 year old grandson who absolutely depends on me and couldn't do it. I went to see Dr. Crouthamel, who gave me hope, and worked like crazy for 8 months to get myself healthy enough to have surgery. I have not looked back and am so thankful for Dr. C.! Every day on the right side of the grass is a great one!