Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reassurance needed!

I am 12 days post op, and have followed the rules fairly well up until tonight. I don't know what got into me, but the old me was like, "lets see if you really feel full" because I have a fear my pouch is large due to band bypass conversion...I ate about 1/2 c of Kraft Mac n cheese followed by 5 Pringles, a handful of shredded mozzarella cheese and 3 chessman Cookies and milk! Wtf was I thinking.....a no traditional binge, but a binge none the less. I did feel full, and cramps, but no puking or diarrhea. Now I am so afraid I am going to screw this up to and not lose the weight....please just tell me all hope is not lost?!

Hope is not lost. You made yourself eat all that. It wasn't actual hunger. But it was dangerous pushing your healing stomach like that. It may be worth having a visit with a psychiatrist to get help understanding what makes you want to sabotage yourself like that. I know I have felt the same way in the past.

Hope is not lost. You made yourself eat all that. It wasn't actual hunger. But it was dangerous pushing your healing stomach like that. It may be worth having a visit with a psychiatrist to get help understanding what makes you want to sabotage yourself like that. I know I have felt the same way in the past.

This is such wonderful advice...please heed it. You did not come this far to sabotage yourself!

You will not feel full for awhile post op because the stomach nerves havent healed! I was able to eat at first and thought the surgery didnt work but give it time and once you are healed you will feel full! Dont overdo it or eat things that arent allowed while you are healing. You should weigh out the portions and stick to that until your body is back to normal. Be patient! It is a process but will be worth it. Best of luck. ;)

I feel just like you I ate chocolate today expecting to be sick and nothing. I am almost a month out. I have not lost any weight this week have not gained either. I feel like I am slipping back into old habits. After this holiday I will contact a therapist to help me through this phase. (Good advice) I know it is mind games but old patterns are hard to break. I am surrounded by people that care but don't really get because they have not gone threw this. I know in my heart if we all stick together we will get threw this. Right now the light at the end of my tunnel is a little dim. Thanks for listening.

You also have to remember that this is a whole lifestyle change. I am a food addict and have coped all my life with food. Since this surgery it has made me learn different coping skills besides eating crap! Keep a log- what are you doing when you get the urge to binge, what are you feeling when it happens. This can help you figure out your triggers and learn a new technique other than eating to make yourself feel ok. This is a hard journey but we all can make it!!

I feel just like you I ate chocolate today expecting to be sick and nothing. I am almost a month out. I have not lost any weight this week have not gained either. I feel like I am slipping back into old habits. After this holiday I will contact a therapist to help me through this phase. (Good advice) I know it is mind games but old patterns are hard to break. I am surrounded by people that care but don't really get because they have not gone threw this. I know in my heart if we all stick together we will get threw this. Right now the light at the end of my tunnel is a little dim. Thanks for listening.

You are at a normal stall phase. It is called the hibernation syndrome. Your body feels it is starving so it begins to hold onto everything. You may also feel depressed. It is a hard time but most of us go through it. It will pass and the weight will come off. Be patient and try to keep yourself busy and not focus only on weight. You may still be losing inches. Hang in there! Im 4 months pkst op and can tell you that it does get better! ;)

You are most likely at a normal stall phase. It is called the hibernation syndrome. Your body feels it is starving so it begins to hold onto everything. You may also feel depressed. It is a hard time but most of us go through it. It will pass and the weight will come off. Be patient and try to keep yourself busy and not focus only on weight. You may still be losing inches. Hang in there! Im 4 months pkst op and can tell you that it does get better! ;)

Heres a link to a site with some information. You are not alone!

http://www.beautyandthebypass.com/2012/hibernation/

You also have to remember that this is a whole lifestyle change. I am a food addict and have coped all my life with food. Since this surgery it has made me learn different coping skills besides eating crap! Keep a log- what are you doing when you get the urge to binge' date=' what are you feeling when it happens. This can help you figure out your triggers and learn a new technique other than eating to make yourself feel ok. This is a hard journey but we all can make it!![/quote']

Well said! Also I would add that you should stay away from your old trigger foods or even acceptable substitutions.

For example: I was a sugar and carb addict. I KNOW these foods are a serious problem for me. When I eat those foods I almost go into a trance and can't stop eating till I am stuffed. Because they are are obviously a problem for me I've been instructed to experiment and find totally different foods that I like and enjoy. I shouldn't substitute a sweet alternative to my candy and pastry because that only keeps me liking sweets. From there it is a short jump to the real thing that starts w/ just one bite', to 'only a little', to 'once a day'. Before you know it my old eating habits are back and I'll spiral out of control. It's best to find new and different foods for this new lifestyle. Kind of like an alcoholic staying away from alcohol. He doesn't just stay away from it until he feels better - he stays away from it FOREVER.

It's not deprivation to stay away from things that are bad for you. And I LOVE the benefits of these changes I've made - I like myself, I love shopping, I feel good and my back pain is gone, and I am happy. Would I trade all that for some cheesecake? HECK NO!!!!!! :-)

Thanks everyone for your input I am going to listen to the adivce and move forward.

Thank you all for your support! I am back on track today, and planning to discuss my behavior in therapy. I want more than anything to change my eating habits and learn to live in a normal size body and eat healthy food - to fuel my body, not my darn brain. My inner 2 year old was throwing a tantrum and I let her have her way - not again!!!