Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I keep seeing people with weight problems and have the urge to run over and start extolling the virtues of RNY...eventually I'm going to slip and say 'OMG have you ever thought about getting a gastric bypass?!?!' And someone is gonna slap me!

HW 312, pre-op (RNY) 255, current weight 206.8

Lol there is a girl at work that I want to say this to! I'm like our insurance covers gastric bypass- you should totally do this! Despite the complication I'm having at the moment and being miserable I don't regret this. I know it will give me my health back.

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

I think that everyday! I think it's because I feel great about choice and we see how big they are etc. but remember they may not be ready. Before I hit my rock bottom I thought I was sexy! I thought I had it going on and wls was for the weak. If someone approached me mumbo jumbo of surgery I would has slapped someone lol

But I get it! I feel like telling people all the time.

We also notice how much people eat, how much fat people consume, and the amount of soda people chug. It's kinda gross!

I actually had a VERY long discussion yesterday with someone about why she would never do it because she'd rather be fat then have saggy skin....this from a diabetic on insulin, in her 50s who has to get a cart at Walmart because she can't walk that far...I really think she's afraid she'll fail, even with RNY and the skin thing is just an excuse but it was such a sad conversation.

I think that everyday! I think it's because I feel great about choice and we see how big they are etc. but remember they may not be ready. Before I hit my rock bottom I thought I was sexy! I thought I had it going on and wls was for the weak. If someone approached me mumbo jumbo of surgery I would has slapped someone lol

But I get it! I feel like telling people all the time.

We also notice how much people eat' date=' how much fat people consume, and the amount of soda people chug. It's kinda gross![/quote']

That's why I don't say anything...unless they ask...then I go NUTS!!!! :D. I should be an infomercial!!!!

My best friend is nearly 400lb and she is back to dating and thinks she is fabulous. I love her and she is one of the best peeps I know..we go to lunch and she tells me I make her feel hungry. I've nearly begged her to get rny and she was the one who had started talking about it casually with me. She says why do it when she can't pay to have the skin removed!!! Idk if I totally understand that thinking. I find myself looking at severely obese people and just say..why aren't u doing this like I am? I've begged my mom..54,has diabetes and on insulin daily and a train wreck of other health issues..she swears it goes against God's will for our lives/body..I totally argue about that..God I'm pretty sure wants what's best for me..I've messed up and gained so much so I think this is HIs blessing! Just my thoughts

My best friend is nearly 400lb and she is back to dating and thinks she is fabulous. I love her and she is one of the best peeps I know..we go to lunch and she tells me I make her feel hungry. I've nearly begged her to get rny and she was the one who had started talking about it casually with me. She says why do it when she can't pay to have the skin removed!!! Idk if I totally understand that thinking. I find myself looking at severely obese people and just say..why aren't u doing this like I am? I've begged my mom..54' date='has diabetes and on insulin daily and a train wreck of other health issues..she swears it goes against God's will for our lives/body..I totally argue about that..God I'm pretty sure wants what's best for me..I've messed up and gained so much so I think this is HIs blessing! Just my thoughts[/quote']

It's funny, I've had weight issues since infancy (seriously, my mom got scolded when she took me in for a check up at 6 months old because I'd gained too much weight!) my mother had the old bypass in 1981 and lost 100+ lbs. she takes great care of herself, eats well, exercises, total success story. When I first mentioned surgery years ago she was totally opposed because it was too extreme, I'd never really tried to lose weight, I could do it if I tried....this from a formerly morbidly obese woman who had the surgery....it's been so long I truly think she's forgotten how hard it is to keep trying and failing....(needless to say she eventually came around and is my biggest cheerleader)

I know there are people out there who are fat and happy with themselves, I was not one of them. I've succeeded at everything I've ever tried to do, except lose weight...it was a constant battle, I was exhausted and felt like crap. This has truly been a gift from God for me. Saggy skin and all!

I want to tell people too... but I would never tell a stranger. I remember how I felt before when people would talk about it... I had to be ready to make a change before I would listen to the people who had already had surgery.

I do tell people every chance I get if they ask me first.

I do notice peoples eating habits more and their struggle to live.... makes me sad I wasted so many years being that way!

My best friend is nearly 400lb and she is back to dating and thinks she is fabulous. I love her and she is one of the best peeps I know..we go to lunch and she tells me I make her feel hungry. I've nearly begged her to get rny and she was the one who had started talking about it casually with me. She says why do it when she can't pay to have the skin removed!!! Idk if I totally understand that thinking. I find myself looking at severely obese people and just say..why aren't u doing this like I am? I've begged my mom..54,has diabetes and on insulin daily and a train wreck of other health issues..she swears it goes against God's will for our lives/body..I totally argue about that..God I'm pretty sure wants what's best for me..I've messed up and gained so much so I think this is HIs blessing! Just my thoughts

At 370 I thought I was sexy and loved it. I had many guys whom I dated that loved big girls....and never had any issues. But looking back I have often thought about those same men who, even though they were handsome to me, had some flaw that my being overweight overshadowed and caused them to not seem so bad. So what I thought was sexy was just a way for them to hid and feel better.

Though I have lost weight from the surgery. I wouldn't recommend this surgery to anyone. I wish I would have struggled losing the weight I'm 3 months out. Jmo.

It's funny' date=' I've had weight issues since infancy (seriously, my mom got scolded when she took me in for a check up at 6 months old because I'd gained too much weight!) my mother had the old bypass in 1981 and lost 100+ lbs. she takes great care of herself, eats well, exercises, total success story. When I first mentioned surgery years ago she was totally opposed because it was too extreme, I'd never really tried to lose weight, I could do it if I tried....this from a formerly morbidly obese woman who had the surgery....it's been so long I truly think she's forgotten how hard it is to keep trying and failing....(needless to say she eventually came around and is my biggest cheerleader)

I know there are people out there who are fat and happy with themselves, I was not one of them. I've succeeded at everything I've ever tried to do, except lose weight...it was a constant battle, I was exhausted and felt like crap. This has truly been a gift from God for me. Saggy skin and all!

HW 312, pre-op (RNY) 255, current weight 206.8[/quote']

I was also an overweight baby. At 6 months I weighed 25 pounds and was put on a diet! I always had a weight problem my entire life. All of my family is thin except my father.

Also on the dating thing that anniesmom mentioned- I too have dated several guys and I let my weight overshadow terrible flaws they had. If I'd been thin or even more confident I would never have settled for the losers I did! I've been loser free for a year and eventually will date again. This time though I have no plans to settle for less than I deserve.

I was also an overweight baby. At 6 months I weighed 25 pounds and was put on a diet! I always had a weight problem my entire life. All of my family is thin except my father.

Also on the dating thing that anniesmom mentioned- I too have dated several guys and I let my weight overshadow terrible flaws they had. If I'd been thin or even more confident I would never have settled for the losers I did! I've been loser free for a year and eventually will date again. This time though I have no plans to settle for less than I deserve.

Same way with dating, always settle because I figure its all I can get...that said, if I hadn't married my loser ex-husband I wouldn't have my amazing son....I won't settle again, but I'm glad I did in that case :) (also glad karma kicked his ass)

My friend seems stuck in the rut also about the men and all the character flaws....it hurts me to see such a wonderful person go thru that

My 1st husband was basically a shit head (indeed I just went there!) but I have a wonderful amazing little boy I couldn't live without. My 2nd husband is about 85% the answer to my dreams..can't be 100% cause nobody is perfect & even he makes me wanna pinch his head off sometimes and he can be a ass too. I hope y'all find someone who truly loves u for u and u get to the spot where u truly get the confidence to demand more. U are amazing ladies and deserve no less! I accept my 85% dream man cause I believe he truly loves me and I hope y'all find that too

At 370 I thought I was sexy and loved it. I had many guys whom I dated that loved big girls....and never had any issues. But looking back I have often thought about those same men who' date=' even though they were handsome to me, had some flaw that my being overweight overshadowed and caused them to not seem so bad. So what I thought was sexy was just a way for them to hid and feel better.[/quote']

Omg! The same thing with me! I've dated nothing but losers and felt that's all I deserved. My ex-husband always said i was beautiful etc he loved me big...but our sex life was non-existent...he then cheated on me, and now it turns out he is gay...i think back, we've been divorced for almost five years we were married for 8 and I kind of always knew but it's hard in our culture to come out...although I'm lonely I need to work on getting healthy and then I pray I find a man who can love me completely

It's interesting how so many RNY veterans experience the same "shout it to the world" desire. But as others have pointed out, it's difficult, possibly inappropriate and probably pointless to approach someone until they're mentally ready and committed to the challenge. My son's best friend has recently been referred by his PCP to the same surgeon I had. The first thing he did was call me to get my thoughts. It has been an amazingly rewarding experience for me to have the opportunity to share my journey with someone I know well and who I believe will be successful and will look back on his decision with no regrets.