Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Remission stories?

Anyone have some inspiring diabetes remission stories? Hoping to be one of those lucky ones.

My last A1c in November was 6.9. I was not checking my blood sugars regularly and relying on my A1C. My diet overall is/was decently healthy. And in general my diabetes was under control.

I was not an insulin dependent diabetic. I was taking 1 mg Glimipiride daily, after Breakfast.

The last pill I took was Dec 19, the day before my surgery. Although during surgery my blood sugar spiked and they gave me insulin, it came down into the normal range, being under 130, and it has been there since surgery.

So, I no longer am taking diabetes medication. My blood sugar has been between 90 and 130, mostly the 110 to 120 range. I feel great!

On the other hand, I have a friend who's diabetes was out of control, on two insulins and pills. She is still on two insulins but no longer is taking the pills. She still has some issues, but in general her sugars are between 130 and 150 now. The blurry vision is gone.

Mine is still here, but I am on a lot less insulin and getting better numbers. I actually went low night before last so I am going to have to adjust the insulin some more. So I didn't leave the hospital off all insulin like I had dreamed and hoped and prayed. But in three weeks it is better than it has been in 10+ years. So I am still hopeful.

I too was hoping too not come home on insulin but to no avail I came home on my insulin, however I've cut my insulin use in half! Been running 70-90 now! Have an appointment next week with the endo! Can't wait

Hi Debbie I was off my Insulin within 3days of surgery 5years out still all good but in the last 6months I have had so Much stress I have regained 11kgs 22lbs so scary as I have been feeling so tired Im like so on the get rid of the regain & Go back to all the weight loss rules As I never want to inject again

Don't they tell you that it is not uncommon about 4 years out to regain about 20ish? I hope you get back on track. Getting off insulin must have been great. If I get off insulin, I hope to never have to stick myself again.

Anyone have some inspiring diabetes remission stories? Hoping to be one of those lucky ones.

I had surgery on the 18th December and I am off all meds. All. Diabetes, cholesterol and high-blood pressure [i was on 7 prescrptions prior to surgery]. I am officially over-the-moon excited. 28 lbs down doesn't suck either.

I had surgery on the 18th December and I am off all meds. All. Diabetes' date=' cholesterol and high-blood pressure . I am officially over-the-moon excited. 28 lbs down doesn't suck either.[/quote']

Wow, nearly 30 lbs in...18 days? Wow...

I am 10 days post op. sugars were and for years have been out of control. Morning of surgery 433 that night and for a few more nights in 300s they dropped to 200s and now are running upper 100s hoping soon to never take another metformin and glyburide. I see it in the very near future. :)

I had surgery on the 18th December and I am off all meds. All. Diabetes' date=' cholesterol and high-blood pressure . I am officially over-the-moon excited. 28 lbs down doesn't suck either.[/quote']

Fantastic !!!

Don't they tell you that it is not uncommon about 4 years out to regain about 20ish? I hope you get back on track. Getting off insulin must have been great. If I get off insulin' date=' I hope to never have to stick myself again.[/quote']

Hi Debra since I last posted the weight is coming off Hope to keep telling u about my progress o

I had my RNY on 1/28/13. My sugars were out of control at 200-300 every day. I used Metformin 2000 mg, Lantus 150units, and Humalog 90units twice a day. The day after surgery my sugar was over 400, therefore I had to stay an extra day. Now 5 1/2 weeks later I take Metformin 1000mg, 30units Lantus and no Humalog. Numbers are 90-130 daily. I have not had another A1C since surgery.

Hello! I will be having GB on 4/29/13. I was diagnosed w diabetes about 11 years ago. I was 19 swore I'd take care of it with diet and excercise. And then life happened. I got busy. Diabetes wasn't gonna effect me. I'd be fine. Well 3 miscarriages later the on call doc at the hospital told me he would bet his medical license it was my sugars not allowing me to carry to term. Lots of trials w meds and two more miscarriages later. I'm on 2000 mg metformin, 60 units lantus, 12 units of apidra at every meal. My hope is to never have to take another shot again. I'm looking for an ideal family size not an ideal pant size. Although now that its getting closer I can't wait to buy my first evening gown that is different than what my 60 yr old plus size aunt wears !! ;)

I look forward to hearing your success stories. Good Luck and happy slimming!

Hello! I will be having GB on 4/29/13. I was diagnosed w diabetes about 11 years ago. I was 19 swore I'd take care of it with diet and excercise. And then life happened. I got busy. Diabetes wasn't gonna effect me. I'd be fine. Well 3 miscarriages later the on call doc at the hospital told me he would bet his medical license it was my sugars not allowing me to carry to term. Lots of trials w meds and two more miscarriages later. I'm on 2000 mg metformin' date=' 60 units lantus, 12 units of apidra at every meal. My hope is to never have to take another shot again. I'm looking for an ideal family size not an ideal pant size. Although now that its getting closer I can't wait to buy my first evening gown that is different than what my 60 yr old plus size aunt wears !! ;)

I look forward to hearing your success stories. Good Luck and happy slimming![/quote']

I, too, had fertility issues. I have PCOS and was told I would have difficulty getting pregnant. I got pregnant my first month of attempting, and my daughter was perfect in spite of diabetes and and overall high risk pregnancy. I was lucky enough to have a healthy baby, and could not get pregnant again.

As heartbreaking as your miscarriages are, your good news is you CAN get pregnant. I hope you are able to carry to term once this is done for you.

I was not well controlled and in my last four weeks post op, I'm using about half the insulin than I was before. It's not the easy road, but worth it.