Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does Bcbs Pays For Cosmetic Sx?

Hi everyone,

I'm 6 month post sx, I had lost 100lbs want to lose 30lbs more. Starting wt was 270lbs CW 170lbs, and I been wonder about cosmetic sx. I know is to early to star thinking about it but I'm anxious about the possibility of getting a Tummy Tuck, a breast lift and a possible butt lift, so my ? Is have one of you been approved by BCBS for any cosmetic surgery? And if so what they pay and how you got it approve?

Regards

most medical insurance will approve some plastics but, the basic ones and only with documented proof the extra skin is causing medical issues such as infections, rashes etc. They pay for the skin to be removed on the tummy but, not the tuck part. That part you have to pay for. Breast implants aren't usually covered but, if there are rashes under the breasts and documented some will pay to have a reduction done. Lower body lift or butt lift.....thinking again unless medically proven with documentation that medical issues are occuring it's probably not covered.

I have been wondering the same thing and I haven't even had my surgery yet. lol We also have BCBS and it was my understanding that loose skin removal is not covered. I think it's insane that a breast augmentation and/or reduction is covered but not skin removal. However, I do think that the previous poster is correct in that they will remove it ONLY if your doctor deems it medically necessary. Good luck with whatever happens and congratulations on your weight loss so far.

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

I had my surgery September 10,2012 and I have been thinking about plastics also more so for my arms and legs than my stomach (well at least so far) I work out at the gym 3 days a week and work out at home but the bat wings aren't going anywhere and I love to wear short sleeves and sun dresses ect when I was 340 I didn't care about my arms now being 215 I'm so self conscious. I have BCBS also and we were told in support group that you have to prove the access skin is hindering your life you have to have rashes ect. I have looked into paying on my own but I don't have 15,000 and refuse to go into debt for my bat wings so I guess I'll keep using my weights and learn to deal with it until I win the lottery lol. Good luck with your journey and your doing fabulously with your weight loss. Keep up the great work.

Only medically necessary is cover as mention. Everything else is out of pocket. We did know this before we got WLS. I'm saving up.

It's a shame that the insurance companies don't understand that it's sometimes more if a self esteem issue than an aesthetic one. I am still awaiting surgery on the 29th, but I am already worried about "bat wings" and droopy skin. It stinks that all of the hard work may be overshadowed because of image issues afterwards.

I think we need to start saying in the pre op threads to remember that WLS doesn't make your body perfect. You are still going to dislike certain parts of your body. In fact I bet if you ask a size 2 woman what she dislikes about her body she can still come up with ten answers. Whenever I start to feel those negative body thoughts creep into my head I force myself to remember the woman who had the confidence to not only appear in public in a bathing suit before WLS but who had the courage to say enough is enough and get the surgery done. stretch marks are evidence of earning my tiger stripes and they are not bat wings, they are angel wings. Lord knows with being overweight and having surgery I ve been through the jungle and through hell and made my way out.

I think we need to start saying in the pre op threads to remember that WLS doesn't make your body perfect. You are still going to dislike certain parts of your body. In fact I bet if you ask a size 2 woman what she dislikes about her body she can still come up with ten answers. Whenever I start to feel those negative body thoughts creep into my head I force myself to remember the woman who had the confidence to not only appear in public in a bathing suit before WLS but who had the courage to say enough is enough and get the surgery done. stretch marks are evidence of earning my tiger stripes and they are not bat wings' date=' they are angel wings. Lord knows with being overweight and having surgery I ve been through the jungle and through hell and made my way out.[/quote']

Thank you for this! I never thought about just how negative the term " bat wings" sounds or how it may serve as a negative influence on someone else. You're right; we're all brave for having the strength to reclaim our lives and get healthy. We have all made it this far, so there is no need to beat ourselves up. Thank you again.

I think we need to start saying in the pre op threads to remember that WLS doesn't make your body perfect. You are still going to dislike certain parts of your body. In fact I bet if you ask a size 2 woman what she dislikes about her body she can still come up with ten answers. Whenever I start to feel those negative body thoughts creep into my head I force myself to remember the woman who had the confidence to not only appear in public in a bathing suit before WLS but who had the courage to say enough is enough and get the surgery done. stretch marks are evidence of earning my tiger stripes and they are not bat wings' date=' they are angel wings. Lord knows with being overweight and having surgery I ve been through the jungle and through hell and made my way out.[/quote']

I would be the size 2 woman:) lets see 10 things

1. Bat wings

2. Thigh

3. Tummy

4. Boob

The rest has nothing to do with WLS

5. Teeth bleach whitening

6. Pay my bills

7. hair extensions

8. Get rid of roaches

9. Permanent lip liner

10. Upper eye liner permanent

I love being a size 2 but soon I will enjoy it more when I get plastic surgery.

I already know I'm gonna have the "mothers apron" no matter how much I work out.. I am 4 weeks out an still on purée food.. I know I am going to have to have the tummy flab removed just hoping I can get my insurance to cover it..

Mami,

We moved into a a new house last year and our neighbors had German cockroaches. I about died!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002Y2GNVM

That stuff works wonders! It is a bait gel that you place little dots at the corners of all cabinets, under sinks, behind the light switches.

I even bought a case for my neighbors and they were GONE within 2 weeks from my house and a month from hers.

My husband has BCBS and his policy states that abdominalplasty is covered when you have rashes and infections and it hinders your daily movement.

I would be the size 2 woman:) lets see 10 things

1. Bat wings

2. Thigh

3. Tummy

4. Boob

The rest has nothing to do with WLS

5. Teeth bleach whitening

6. Pay my bills

7. hair extensions

8. Get rid of roaches

9. Permanent lip liner

10. Upper eye liner permanent

I love being a size 2 but soon I will enjoy it more when I get plastic surgery.

How soon until your surgery do u think? And I was wondering if things worked out on the home front with your hubby...

God bless!

I had gastric and cosmetic surgery. I also have bcbs and they paid for 80% of my surgeries. It depends on what the surgeon writes up. I live in GA and I love the results. I waited about two years after my bypass surgery before I actually had the cosmetic surgery but I did start the process months before the surgery. That way I knew what to look forward to.

Hi everyone' date='

I'm 6 month post sx, I had lost 100lbs want to lose 30lbs more. Starting wt was 270lbs CW 170lbs, and I been wonder about cosmetic sx. I know is to early to star thinking about it but I'm anxious about the possibility of getting a Tummy Tuck, a breast lift and a possible butt lift, so my ? Is have one of you been approved by BCBS for any cosmetic surgery? And if so what they pay and how you got it approve?

Regards[/quote']

I have BCBS and the policy says you must be a minimum of 18 months post op. Your weight must be stable for 6 months. You must have medical issues making the removal "necessary," ie skin infections, rashes, etc. I think the BCBS paperwork says it must be not curable with regular hygiene.