Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it true that we can no longer have chewing gum after the lap band surgery?? If not, why?

Thanks

Dixie:omg:

I've heard some people say that doctors fear that the gum will get stuck if you swallow it. This actually could be a big problem. But I've also seen quite a few bandsters say they still do it, and with the approval of their doctors. So, as usual, there are a lot of different answers to this issue.

I'm sitting here chewing right now becuase I've got a bit of the "I dont know what I want to eat, I just want to eat something" going on this morning.

It doesnt bother me and I have accidentally swallowed it once too and that was OK as well. But I wouldnt swallow it on purpose!

I'm not banded yet, but my surgeon has already said no gum. His reasoning is it getting stuck if you accidentally swallow it. I will probably chew it anyway though.

~Joan~

I've been known to chew gum. :confused:

...but I do try to be careful, and I only do it when my ketsosi breath is kicking in and I don't have any mints handy.

I *try* to stick with the liquid mints, or the dissolvable strip mints, but a carefully chewed piece of gum is better than melting someone's eyeballs out.

I chew gum, I used to swallow it alll the time but was told that this was really bad for the band.

I think there is a chance that anyone could swallow their gum. In a bansters situation, I am more careful not to do this. I have been banded almost two years and chew gum every day. Just be careful.