Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone! I am new here.... So trying to get used to navigating.... My name is Jenn and I am 29 years old. I had gastric bypass surgery in Buffalo NY on May 8 2008..... So just a little over 4 years ago. I lost 200lbs in all, but had a slight bounce back...... So my current totally weight loss is 170lbs. I am really satisfied with me decision even though I do suffer from some long term setbacks (which I am sure I will seek advice in other forums). I am married to a caring and loving man for 6.5 years now. He met me at my biggest weight.... And saw me for who I was then. We have a gorgeous daughter together that will be 6 yrs old next month in July. I actually gave birth to her at my heaviest! She is my best accomplishment ever! She is the reason I had this surgery....so I can live a long life.

I am also enrolled in online classes with University of Phoenix. I have two classes left and will have earned my Bachelors in Management. I started school only after my surgery as well. That was a huge goal after gastric bypass.

I feel like this surgery saved my life.... Not only physically , but mentally too. :)

I look forward to making new friends as I peruse around and join some discussions!

Welcome! I actually joined this website literally a few days ago via my cell phone> i was navigating in the app store for a Protein tracker and this actually came up. now i use it more than facebook! I am scheduled for bypass on thursday 6/21. I have had so many questions about the diet and then after surgery but this website and also the many supportive ppl who have already gone thru the phases are very supportive!!! its like my online family~~~ i hope to hear from you and any of your supporting advice!

Welcome to the group, ladies.

@babygirl901... Thank you very much! :)

@lolipop.... Congratulations on your up and coming surgery! :) your surgery date is one you will never forget.... And you should find a special way to Celebrate that date every year. It is a rebirth! I can't wait to hear how every thing goes for you. Are you having open bypass or laparoscopic?

When you wake up don't be afraid to ask for something for pain....but remember its only temporary pain and the outcome is your reward. The first few months will take an emotional toll on you because you are retraining your brain on how to eat differently for the rest of your life. Don't be afraid to cry, and lean on people for support. If you don't already have one lined up.... I recommend follow up with a therapist/counselor for the first year to help with all the emotional and physical changes that lie ahead.

No one told me this stuff when I went into surgery and I wish I had a mentor that did. I thought I would get thin and all would be right in the world.....but with gastric bypass comes a lot of hard work.....working on yourself!

I look forward to getting to know you by the way:)

My name is Jenn :)

Welcome to the group. I'm sure you will enjoy this group just like I do. We have wonderful people here. After you had surgery did you gain weight back & are you able to eat anything or your stomach is still the size of an egg?

@babygirl901... Thank you very much! :)

@lolipop.... Congratulations on your up and coming surgery! :) your surgery date is one you will never forget.... And you should find a special way to Celebrate that date every year. It is a rebirth! I can't wait to hear how every thing goes for you. Are you having open bypass or laparoscopic?

When you wake up don't be afraid to ask for something for pain....but remember its only temporary pain and the outcome is your reward. The first few months will take an emotional toll on you because you are retraining your brain on how to eat differently for the rest of your life. Don't be afraid to cry, and lean on people for support. If you don't already have one lined up.... I recommend follow up with a therapist/counselor for the first year to help with all the emotional and physical changes that lie ahead.

No one told me this stuff when I went into surgery and I wish I had a mentor that did. I thought I would get thin and all would be right in the world.....but with gastric bypass comes a lot of hard work.....working on yourself!

I look forward to getting to know you by the way:)

My name is Jenn :)

Thanks!!! I will be having Laproscopic!!!! As the day gets closer I AM BOTH NERVIOUS AND EXCITED!! 6/21 will always be a special day :) I think I will take you up on ur advice about a counselor or therapist. I can definitely benefit from one and having access to this website will help out a lot~~

Congrats! We are all happy Nd excited for you. Just remember everyone pain tolleramce levels are different. Forst few weeks can be or get rough. Some crying may be involved - you may start asking the y's - y did I do this etc. then focuse on the bigger outcome weeks and months later. Support. Support support is key.

Welcome to the group. I'm sure you will enjoy this group just like I do. We have wonderful people here. After you had surgery did you gain weight back & are you able to eat anything or your stomach is still the size of an egg?

Hi! How are you? Thank you for welcoming me:)

When I went in for surgery I was 365lbs. My lowest was 170lbs, but I crept back up to 195 lbs and that's where I have stayed for quite a while now. I really would love to get back to 170....but am finding it impossible to lose these 25/30lbs. I have a chronic pain condition that I was diagnosed with in 2010 called RSD, so exercise is near impossible for me. I can only walk with a cane for 5 minutes here and there. I also can't use my arms for much as my pain condition originated in my left arm. I do make sure that I eat as healthy as possible..... Of course I like a treat here and there:)

I cannot eat anything I want. I'm very happy of that because I have friends who have had the surgery and were able to go back to their old ways.... They have regained their weight back. I have to be very limited with sugar. I have to keep a serving of sugar to under 12 grams. I don't eat any cheese at all. Rice seems to upset me, and if I want scrambled eggs I can only eat egg whites. I get violently I'll from the egg yolk. Also, I cannot tolerate fried foods, and if I eat too many carbs or sugar I get dumping syndrome. If I don't dump, my blood sugar levels will go dangerously low.

I have learned how to modify many recipes to make them healthier for me (and my family) as well as make them easily digestible. I eat very small meals several times a day. My stomach pouch luckily has not stretched too much. I do suffer from acid reflux and occasional ulcers.... But I take Prilosec daily and it really helps cut back on flare ups.