Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone I am still pre op but I am wondering if anyone has had skin removed that went well. I have seen lots of photos and videos regarding extra skin removal and I'm nervous about what's to come post open or should I say post goal weight. Many of the pictures I've seen were terrible jagged scars but some of the shows I've seen are pretty minor. Does anyone have bad scars? Minor scars? Almost no scars? Has anyone lost weight and there's very little extra skin or does everyone get it? Are there things i can do now to prevent extra skin? I know I'm throwing a lot out there but any support is greatly appreciated. Again I'm still pre op I'm 26 5'4 and I'm at 260 my highest weight was 278

Sorry I don't have a simple answer for you. There are so many variables. I can tell you you have a couple of things in your favor: (1) You are young. (2) Your highest weight was never really super high at 278. A lot of it depends on how you carry your weight. I, for instance, have a very, very large pannus (the hanging party of your tummy) Mine comes down quite low. I came into this whole thing knowing I will need plastic surgery.

So..... the long and short of it is that (in my opinion) pretty much everyone who qualifies for RNY will have some extra skin. Will it be so much that you need surgery? Sadly you probably won't know until you have lost the weight.

Have you asked your surgeons opinion on wether you will need plastics or not? My band surgeon told me flat out "Some people I am not sure of wether they will need surgery. YOU will." So, most have some sort of an idea just by looking at your body type.

Hello everyone I am still pre op but I am wondering if anyone has had skin removed that went well. I have seen lots of photos and videos regarding extra skin removal and I'm nervous about what's to come post open or should I say post goal weight. Many of the pictures I've seen were terrible jagged scars but some of the shows I've seen are pretty minor. Does anyone have bad scars? Minor scars? Almost no scars? Has anyone lost weight and there's very little extra skin or does everyone get it? Are there things i can do now to prevent extra skin? I know I'm throwing a lot out there but any support is greatly appreciated. Again I'm still pre op I'm 26 5'4 and I'm at 260 my highest weight was 278

I think it depends on your age your body type the elastisity in your skin and how much you tighten your muscles when you work out everyone is different because we're all shaped differently I'm 26 years old 262 and I'm 5'7 but I'm very curvy and they said in my case I probably won't need it so it's case by case even when I go to support groups some people have next to none sagging skin with out skin removal surgery where as some have a lot of skin and need the skin removal surgery hope this helps

I'm 7 yrs post op. My initial wt was 244, I'm only 5'1". I'm now 158. From size 20-22 to size 8. I have a consult with plastic surgeon this Monday.

The skin is finally bothering me. My pannus or apron or belly is sweaty. And I've started having Brest pain. After speaking with my Dr it's good to get an eval. Based on how many stitched are required around your torso there's no way to avoid the scars. I can live with that, I want to be comfortable. Hope that helps. I keep you posted.

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

I'm 7 yrs post op. My initial wt was 244' date=' I'm only 5'1". I'm now 158. From size 20-22 to size 8. I have a consult with plastic surgeon this Monday.

The skin is finally bothering me. My pannus or apron or belly is sweaty. And I've started having Brest pain. After speaking with my Dr it's good to get an eval. Based on how many stitched are required around your torso there's no way to avoid the scars. I can live with that, I want to be comfortable. Hope that helps. I keep you posted.

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk[/quote']

Hello I'm 5'0 I now weight 201 (since went on this surgery diet thing) how are you 158lbs size 8? I was size 13 at 135pounds & I have a huge butt and before kids I had no stomach.

I learned from a dr. at my support group, that hydration and moisterizers are the most important thing for your skin.

I am 8 years out...5'2/260# at may heaviest. I have had 3 sessions of plastic sx. First one was 2 years out because the doc wants to make sure you are stable at your new weight. I had a full Tummy Tuck, brachioplasty (arms), and inner thigh lift at once. Not for the low pain tolerance folks! 5 months later I had breast implants (I had become a 32 long...lol. Also finished thighs and lifted my behind back to where it should be. That one was a breeze compared to the first one. The last one was 2 years ago. Minor Lipo and fixed a scar. We measured and I have 11 feet of scars. The ones on my arms are barely noticeable ...I usually have to point them out. Scar for tummy tuck you can't find anymore. Thigh scars show up more if I'm in the sun cause they stay white. But that's what spray tans are for! Scar ontop of hips from lifting the rear is most noticeable but isn't really that bad and not in a place where too many people see it anyway. The biggest thing with plastic surgery is its usually not covered by insurance and isn't cheap. Please feel free to ask if I forgot anything.

I have an appointment next week with a plastic surgeon. I had Roux en Y in 2009. I am 5'0 and started at 299 and I'm down to 161 so far. I'm wanting to have a body lift and breast augmentation. I'm so tired on being in two different sizes from top to bottom. It's frustrating to work out 6 days a week and the extra skin still hangs on. It's so aggravating.

To jazzy cupcakes, I certainly know the feeling. Some of us just weren't blessed with elastic skin. I would definitely suggest a second opinion before you have any work done and research the heck out of your surgeon. Trust me, the extra time will be worth it!

I had my surgery October 2004. I'm now 36' date=' lost a total of 202lbs. I'm 5'7", I have some excess skin on tops of thighs & underarm flaps. I think if you will keep drinking Water & exercise you can avoid surgery & unnecessary scars.[/quote']

I used to use the phrase that my thighs looked like they were melting, and my arms... Well if I flapped hard enough I was sure I could lift off the ground! I tried everything...creams, Water, losing more weight, exercising with targeting those places in general and nothing helped. My surgeon told me that the thighs and arms are the toughest places to tighten. As for scars, well, they are going to be there, period. But in doing my research I found that this particular doc does excellent scars. Even my pre-op nurses told me that. So, after 5 years I actually have to point them out to people some times because they flattened out and are so small. I'm OCD about doing something right if I'm going to do it, so I had my sx in October so my arms and legs would be covered by sleeves for a few months. When short skee e season I kept skin toned water-proof tape over them EVERY time I went out. After a while nobody noticed anymore. I wore capris to keep the thigh scars covered. Did this for a total of about 14 months. Seems like a long time but not when you compare it to the length of time you will have the scars. I wouldn't trade any of my surgeries for ANYTHING!

Well I was 289lbs. before I had surgery, I lost 139lbs. in eight months. I never had skin removal but I can honestly say if you focus on getting your Protein in everyday then you want have a lot of sagging skin. Use Peanut Butter, and drink Protein Shakes the only one that actually taste good is "Muscle Milk" doesn't leave a gritty or after taste. You can buy it from GNC or Health food Store.