Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery while in school

I was just wondering if anyone had surgery while they were still in school. I will be having mine October 30th, and after midterms. Luckily I am only taking 3 classes that aren't that difficult and I usually only have 1 class a day so it's not going to be bad. But I just wanted to hear about others in the same situation.

I'm scheduled to sleeve around the same time as you and I am also in college. I talked to my professors and they were all understanding so long as I bring them documentation. I may have to take some tests independently of the class but my teachers say it's easy to work with.

I am in college and taking three classes. I let my professors know they days I would be missing class and I took all my homework with me to the hospital (I actually got alot done) I missed one exam but since I let the instructor know I was going to be out she let me do a make up. 6 days after surgery and I am back in classes!

Yes! I am a senior in nursing school, luckily I only have one class a week, but that class is a very very long day. I go from 8am-6pm with a 1 hour lunch. I was very open with my professors they were very open to me having the surgery. I missed one week and was back in class on day 10 post op, it was a long day and I was very tired by the end of the day but I did it and I feel great now!

I would have had to take at least two weeks off just because of how weak and easily tired I was, but other people are ready to hop back in the game after a week or so. I would definitely let your professors know that you'll be having surgery and see if you can work something out with them so your grade doesn't slip if you're like me and need a solid two weeks to rest up.

Also, going to school means you're focused on school, but don't forget to get your liquids in throughout the day! It's easy to forget when you're focused in class but it's so, so important.

I am a professor and scheduled mine right after the end of spring semester - being older I knew that it might take me longer to get back up on my feet. I am glad I made that decision - as I had complications, was in the hospital for a week (internal bleeding) and it took me a bit to heal.

Wow great insight since I want to have my surgery while in college. I work full time in the morning and I take 5 classes at night.. But this will not make me stop from having the surgery. I am willing to go back after a week

I am in school and taking 3 classes. Fortunately enough, I don't have school on Fridays, so I made sure my surgery was on Friday, that way I would have all weekend at the hospital. But I am not feeling up to it today so I sent my professor a message saying that I can't make it to class. I don't have school on Tuesday, so when I go back this Wednesday, I will have only missed one day of school.

I was just wondering if anyone had surgery while they were still in school. I will be having mine October 30th' date=' and after midterms. Luckily I am only taking 3 classes that aren't that difficult and I usually only have 1 class a day so it's not going to be bad. But I just wanted to hear about others in the same situation.[/quote']

I had surgery in sept, I am full time student. I missed 2 days and felt fine going back.

I was just wondering if anyone had surgery while they were still in school. I will be having mine October 30th' date=' and after midterms. Luckily I am only taking 3 classes that aren't that difficult and I usually only have 1 class a day so it's not going to be bad. But I just wanted to hear about others in the same situation.[/quote']

I had surgery in sept, I am full time student. I missed 2 days and felt fine going back.

I'm in school part time - but doing online classes. One thing I struggled with for the 1st ~3 weeks post op was mental clarity. It was like a fog settled over my brain and everything just took longer than normal. It was much more difficult to focus, so studying was almost impossible. I'm not sure how typical this is, but I definitely wasn't expecting it. I thought I could catch up on everything by the end of the week (surgery was on Tuesday). It took me almost a week and a half more to get fully caught up.

Height: 5' 4'' HW: 256 SW: 227 CW: 212.4

Hey,

I'm doing an online class this month. I'm in a month to month university, and I did my final 3 days suffer my surgery with no problems. The final essay was a challenge, but may have been more me than the sleeve. The class I'm in now is requiring some work, but no more than usual. I am also a single-mom, and I've been able to keep up with her alone since 2 days out. Finally, I work full-time, and I go back tomorrow. We'll see, but there are a lot of mental and physical demands. I'm hoping it's fine.

In conclusion, I'm sure you'll be okay. Try to get ahead if possible, but you'll be okay.

I had mine back in February, I missed the day of my surgery and the week after but I was back to class the following Monday and did just fine. Goodluck!