Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay, so I haven't had surgery. I am scheduled for 27th! But I have a question for all the post ops. How are you dealing with emotional hunger? I'm a secretary and sit 8 hours a day! I notice that I just find myself eating more to just past the time! I don't want to be one of those people who go through all this then gain all the weight even more back? Feeling very worried and concerned!

I'm 10 days post-op, and I am a food addict. Majory stress eater in a highly stressful job. Since the surgery, I really view food differently; in fact, my experience thus far has been to ignore food completely. It just doesn't pop in my mind like it used to. Now, this may be a "honeymoon" feeling, but I've been amazed at the mental side of things. Best of luck with everything!

Okay' date=' so I haven't had surgery. I am scheduled for 27th! But I have a question for all the post ops. How are you dealing with emotional hunger? I'm a secretary and sit 8 hours a day! I notice that I just find myself eating more to just past the time! I don't want to be one of those people who go through all this then gain all the weight even more back? Feeling very worried and concerned![/quote']

You have to find something else that you can do while still sitting at your desk. Something that will keep yoyr mind & your hands busy & also do not keep any Snacks or any food on or near your desk. If you start to think about food try to redirect your mind to something else. Perhaps a new shirt you might want to buy or a fun activity you could do once you get out of work, like a nice walk :) just some suggestions. I do not work as I take care of my very ill father at home & I get very bored & start looking into the cabinets & then I say "no" & go for a walk if my mom is here or I will go on the compjter to play a game or something until the "head hunger" passes. Best of lyck to you on your journey :) let me know how it all goes!!!

You could just read the VST threads all day. That will keep your mind occupied.

In the beginning you physically can't eat very much. However, now that I am almost 6 months post-op I can eat more and I've been struggling with emotional eating. I can't do the same level of damage that I could pre-op though. Everyone struggles with emotional eating. We all have to find a way to cope with life's difficulties without using food as a drug. It is a constant process of self-awareness for me. The fact that you are aware is an important step. The surgery doesn't change your brain but it does give you a really good tool to fight the fight with. You are probably both bored and stressed at work. I used to do secretarial work and was always eating. Also, you must find time to exercise. You will want to, more and more as you lose weight. Moving your body is not only important for your weight loss it is important for your mental health. I find I crave exercise now (not as much as chocolate LOL!) because movement is sooo much easier and I have much more energy. Also, if you had to do a psych eval call the therapist and ask for some strategies and/or if there is a support group where you are having your surgery that can be very helpful.

pre-surgery weight 325; surgery date 2/28/2013; surgery weight 307; 8 weeks past-op weight 281.4; 12 weeks post-op 274; 4 month post-op 266.2; 5 month post-op 262.6

I got therapy to deal with my actual emotion-based food issues and it was remarkably helpful, but it sounds like you're really talking about boredom eating here. Definitely just find something else to do instead of eat. Or, if the compulsion gets too strong, you can always drink some fluids or maybe chew gum.

Vinniej3

The moment I wake up I think what am I going to eat today? Do I have enough food to get me through work? It consumes my mind. I hope and pray that I can change my mindset after surgery

Cindymg

I so wish I could just sit and read these all day at work! The problem with me job is we can't have phones out at all. Can't be reading books/magazines while working. It's strictly work. I answer phones all day so if its slow I don't know what I'm going to do! I could stick up on gum! I live gum

Cherbear33

Those are so great ideas! Thanks so much

Chelenka

Thanks for the advice! You guys are recalling helpful! I appreciate it :)

One more piece of advice, after you've fully recovered from your surgery maybe start looking for a new job.

pre-surgery weight 325; surgery date 2/28/2013; surgery weight 307; 8 weeks past-op weight 281.4; 12 weeks post-op 274; 4 month post-op 266.2; 5 month post-op 262.6

The surgery really does help on its own change some habbits, like I didnt want veggies and fruit before and now I do. I would choose a carb over protien any da6 and I canr even thibk about it now. I work as an office assistant and I keep Peanut Butter and low fat graham crackers at my desk, and will bring in some fruit when I have it, or string cheese. I also make sure at a minimum I drink 4 cups of Water in my 4 to 6 hour shift. It helps fight the hunger. I will have iced tea or sugar free chai . Lots of good options :)

Cindymg

I so wish I could just sit and read these all day at work! The problem with me job is we can't have phones out at all. Can't be reading books/magazines while working. It's strictly work. I answer phones all day so if its slow I don't know what I'm going to do! I could stick up on gum! I live gum

I guess you don't have a computer at your desk where you could keep a small window open to the VST site?

Maybe a new, more active job is in order? Would probably healthier.

I work on a computer all day! But very strict can't use Internet! I am customer service rep for hospital billing so due to hipaa can't do much

Theory is good so not sure about a new job unless I find a better pating one