Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post op preparation....

Hi guys my lucky date is August 8th! I just wanted to asked the experienced or people that have gone through this.. What should I buy for after surgery the first few weeks.. I will be alone at home so I just want to prepare myself with everything.. Thanx for your advise!

There is a thread that has a checklist I looked at that prior to surgery.

I bought a lot and only used a little... My main things were a heating pad (for the random gas pains) I had RTD Protein drinks, you may want things like crystal light or power aide zero or G2 around because I remember I thought Water was disgusting. I had apple sauce to put my morning anti acid pill in. Lots of movies to watch or if you have Netflix. Oh you may want to put out sweats and big T-shirts because you won't want to bend over.

As I've said before the first few days suck but it gets easier and easier as time goes on.

I remember wondering if the soreness would ever go away and today I'm 9 weeks out and as happy as can be. :) good luck!

Some form of Protein. I used nectar Syntrax but honestly did much better with it pre-sleeve than post sleeve. But you should have some sort of protein so when you can, it will be there. SF popsicles and chicken broth got me through the 1st week. Water was hard for me with or without crystal light. Yesterday I finally drank about 10 oz of water while working a 5.5 hr shift. That was the most water I've got in a one time so far,

My sleeve date is also 8/8. You can add sf Jello to your list. And when you hit phase 2, you can have sf hot cocoa and Protein Shakes. I went to Walmart yesterday and picked up things I would need thru stage 3. Be sure to get Protein shakes/powder. My dr allows those in stage 2. He says in stage 2 you need 60-80 g of protein per day minimum. The nutritionist said the drinks or powder should have less than 5 carbs and mre than 15 g protein per serving. Usually a serving size of poder is 1 scoop. Wishing you luck. God bless.

Gax-x chewable tablets or dissolveable strips. They helped a ton with gas pain after sugery. Also liquid Tylenol. They make an adults version if you can find it, or childrens is ok if you cant. I couldn't take any pain meds, so the Tylenol saved me, was nice to have liquid so I didn't have to crush up the regular pills, liquid was much easier to take. big pants. :-) I didn't like anything sitting on my incisions, so it was nice to have big elastic waist pants I could pull down under my belly, or that didn't put pressure on my belly. chicken broth and Protein Drinks. sugar free hard candy. Sometimes its nice to suck on something with flavor, just to get some flavor in your mouth.

Crystal Light Mojito flavor is the BOMB!

Gax-x chewable tablets or dissolveable strips. They helped a ton with gas pain after sugery. Also liquid Tylenol. They make an adults version if you can find it' date=' or childrens is ok if you cant. I couldn't take any pain meds, so the Tylenol saved me, was nice to have liquid so I didn't have to crush up the regular pills, liquid was much easier to take. big pants. :-) I didn't like anything sitting on my incisions, so it was nice to have big elastic waist pants I could pull down under my belly, or that didn't put pressure on my belly. chicken broth and Protein drinks. sugar free hard candy. Sometimes its nice to suck on something with flavor, just to get some flavor in your mouth.[/quote']

I would have never thought to get some sf hard candy. Thanks for the tip!!!

Go to SAMs Club & buy Premier Protein shakes. They have 30 grams of Protein. They're only 5 carbs & 160 carbs for 11oz. They're pre made so you don't have to bother with mixing powders & have a screw top so you can put them back in fridge if you don't finish. I find they're thinner than Boost & Ensure so easier to swallow plus the Boost & Ensure where way higher carb & calories & lower protein.

I would have never thought to get some sf hard candy. Thanks for the tip!!!

Check with your Dr/nut too. I wasn't allowed any hard candy for 1st 2 weeks for sure. It may have been longer. Would have to check my notes.

Crystal Light Mojito flavor is the BOMB!

This sounds very yummy lol

Thank you guys for all your responses, I know what to get now at least I have the Protein I'm missing the has pain med and the heat pads, any ideas where I could find those??

Thank you guys for all your responses' date=' I know what to get now at least I have the Protein I'm missing the has pain med and the heat pads, any ideas where I could find those??[/quote']

Any drugstore or a place like target or Walmart for the heating pad. As far as pain meds call your dr to see what they will prescribe. I came home with liquid Tylenol, oxicodone (sp?), anti acid meds, anti nausea meds and blood thinners. I never even opened the pain meds.